[Prompt] Bully Candy

There is a candy vendor in Dalaran. A small boy sits nearby, sad. If you approach him, he has no money for candy because someone stole it from him. He asks you about your favorite sweets, and what you would do about a bully. He never asks you for candy, but he keeps looking at the vendor.

-----

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules. I ask that posts be limited to two or three, as much longer is more like a short tale probably befitting it’s own thread.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfect match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in here as well. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.
I would chastise the candy vendor, and cause a scene in an attempt to extort some free candy.
Huh? What kid? Oh yeah! Um... I guess if he caused a scene too I'd have to share some.
Following the pleasant surprise of the boy not fleeing in terror at the sight of an eight-foot-tall savage clad in gear and trinkets adorned with motifs of death and plenty of spikes, Con'mar -- keeping true to his identity as a giant, killer teddy bear -- would go on to buy the young lad some candy and a few treats for himself while he's making his purchase. When asked about his favorite sweets, Con'mar admits that his one weakness is his crippling sweet tooth, and that while he cannot pick a favorite, the more sugary the treat, the better. With the three gigantic, colorful lollipops in one massive hand for a casual snack, the boy believed him and did not press further.

The nice monster man would face the small one as he asked what he would do about a bully. Without skipping a beat, Con'mar boomingly declared that bullies are inglorious cowards who can only achieve victory by preying on the weak, and the only right way to deal with them is through strength! Rise to their challenge and knock them into submission, earning their respect, and making them learn to fear you. The boy would timidly ask "What if they're bigger than you?" to which Con'mar would brush the concern aside and attempt to inspire the child by telling him the story of the time he fought a gronn and won. After taking a moment to explain what a gronn is, he would share his tale, with the moral that courage and ingenuity win battles that would be lost with raw strength alone.

When told that the child's money was stolen by someone, Con'mar would say it is time the small one take back what is rightfully his! He would hand him a large stick and a small, wooden buckler, telling him to face the bully, and that he would be there to provide moral support. The boy would get cold feet from the prospect of fighting the bully, which convinced the orc that just this one time, he should join the child's battle, for their victory would give him the confidence needed to fend for himself in the future.

The duo made a pitstop at the Wonderworks where Con'mar would get armed for the confrontation. When he emerged, he carried a giant, colorful, inflatable warhammer that made a delightful squeaking sound when colliding with surfaces. With a determined look, he declared they were ready. Not twenty minutes later, the guards were called to breakup the ordeal, return the child home, and kick the jolly green bad influence out of the city for the third time this year. Though the bully was found without injury, he would be forever traumatized by the revenge of the boy he robbed and the giant, balloon wielding monster he brought with him.
((Great responses so far, i enjoyed learning about your characters.))

Tinkahra skipped through the streets of Dalaran, giddy. She had found an imp to devour shortly after returning to the Broken Isles. Demons were increasingly hard to find, so even a small one was luck. It had been so long since her last demonic meal...

Tinkahra turned the corner to her favorite street vendor in Dalaran. Corteus Sweetgear, a gnome with a talent for candy. She paid no mind to the kid sitting next to him. At least until after she bought several bits of hard and soft candy.

"You like candy miss?" The human child spoke up.

Tinkahra looked him over. He looked like he was just in a fight, covered in bruises. "That a problem?"

"I like candy too!" The kid ignored the dislike in Tinkahra's voice. "What's your favorite?"

"These." Tinkahra unwrapped a chocolate and put it in her mouth.

Ignoring the short tone again, the kid spoke. "Ah! I like chocolate too! Was going to buy some but a meanie stole my coins. What would you do about meanies, miss?"

"Kill them, eat their soul." Tinkahra cackled. The kid paled. Tinkahra knelt before him and put a hand on his head. For the first time since talking to her, the kid felt afraid. Tinkahra grinned coldly and continued. "Only the strong deserve sweets. Get stronger or die." Tinkahra stood and left the kid candyless.
Liangpi would get an itch for sweets that she only got so often, deciding to treat herself she headed to a sweets merchant that she knew wasn't too far at all, licking her lips as she imagined the sweet butterscotch she craved.
As she arrived, she smiled warmly towards the boy sitting near the stand before ordering a big pouch full of butterscotch candies to take with her.
As the merchant wrapped the pouch, her eyes traveled back to the small child, her kind nature getting the best of her as she takes her candy and approaches the boy who she noted as being rather unhappy.

"Are you alright, little one?" She asks softly.

The boy looked up, and Liangpi saw what she might even describe as a quiver in his lip as he fought back tears in order to nod, "I'm okay," he reassures her. "What sort of candies do you have? Is it your favourite?"

"Butterscotch! Would you like one?" Liangpi would ask unwrapping the pouch and taking a few out for him, understanding that sometimes everyone has rough days.

"Thank you!" The boy would exclaim, taking the candies from her hands, a genuine smile crossing his face. "You're really very kind... Nothing like...Nevermind," he'd stop himself, pausing. "What would you do if someone did mean things to you?" He asked.

She thought for a moment, taking a seat next to the boy and offering him more of her candy if he'd like. "Lead by example and treat them with kindness. I think that everyone does things for a reason. Someone may be mean to you because they are struggling in their own lives, either emotionally or financially," Liangpi explained softly. "Sometimes all someone needs is some light in their lives to realise the darkness that they've been surrounding themselves with... Has someone been messing with you?"

The boy would take more of the butterscotch, nodding silently and listening. "A bully stole my candy money.." He explained with shame on his face.

Liangpi would pat his back softly, a sympathetic look on her face. "It gets better, I promise. Just stay calm and positive, and show the world that you're not one to mess with." She'd silently place the bag of candy on his lap, feeling as though he needed it more than her that day, and got up, leaving him be and wishing the best for him.
Ah Dalaran, always such an interesting place, Asana noted as she meandered through the sunlit streets. The activity was in full force this afternoon as dozens of people in colorful robes flurried around to their destinations. Half of them had arms full of scrolls and looked harried or lost in some deep thought.

As she turned a corner she came to a large stall set up on the side of the street packed full of trays of candy. It seemed to be a popular spot going by the line. She also noted a young blonde boy sitting across the street from it and looking depressed. Curious, she passed by the candy stall first and pretended to browse the goods. The woman running it gave her a cursory nod, but was too busy with another customer.

Afterwards, she slipped away and strolled over to the boy, casually sitting down cross-legged next him. "How's it going, kid?" she asked brightly.

He looked at her warily, clearly not sure if he was somehow in trouble or not. His clothes were finely made, so his family had money then, but his blonde hair was ruffled and untidy. "Oh hi... Um alright I guess."

"You know lying won't help you here," she pressed for the truth.

He sighed. "I just wanted to buy some candy, but a boy I know stole my money today. He's older and bigger than me. Do you like candy?"

Ah so that was it. She figured it was something like that, it always was with kids. "Mhm I do!" Asana responded brightly. "I'm not really into the more sugary kind of candies, but I like chocolate and a few other flavors. So a bully problem, eh?"

"Yeah, it happens a lot. What do you do about bullies?" he asked curiously.

"I'd beat the living daylights out of them," she said without hesitation, then paused and chuckled because that probably wasn't good advice to give him. "Although I'm not suggesting you actually do that. It's probably a terrible idea for you."

The boy smiled faintly. "Well that's easy for you to say, you're strong! I'm not..."

Not entirely untrue, but he didn't know the half of it. She actually did have many bullies when growing up. Often they were older kids, other street dwellers, and others were full adults. Drunk ones normally, but still. Anyone who threatened her or her sister were usually given a fist to the face, but she herself ended up a bloody mess more often than not. In retrospect, she brought most of that on herself.

"There are different kinds of strength," Asana said choosing her words carefully. "If you can't win one battle then find another way to succeed." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a chocolate candy bar that she had stolen a few minutes ago when the shop woman was distracted.

The boy's eyes widened in surprise. "When did you get that? I was watching you the whole time!" Apparently simple sleight of hand was an impressive trick to him.

She grinned and tossed him the candy bar. "Oh I'm just amazing is all." A little showing off never hurt. She playfully ruffled his hair then stood up. "See you later, kid. And I recommend you eat that before you get robbed again."
:D wonderful both of you. It is fun to see different approaches to the same situation :3
Oullia listened to the boy’s explanation with an expression of earnest concern. She thought about what he said for a moment and then smiled softly.

“In the Army of the Light, during the var vith the legion, there vas very leetle time to enjoy simple pleasures, like candy. Because of that? It is very, very special. Ve didn’t have time to make candies like you have here in Dalaran, ve vould have to make homemade sweets. It vwould take ages for us to get the supplies to make somethink special like that. I had a friend who vould carry a leetle belt pouch with a handful of sugar and berries in it. Even if the berries go squish? Still good. Syrupy treat! She vould stick her finger in the bag and then lick her finger clean.”

She smiled fondly at the memory, though there was a faint sadness in her golden eyes.

“As for me,” she sighed, pushing the memory away, “I like caramels. Butter, sugar, syrup, simple to make over a fire with a pan. Lasts a long time too, so you can carry it vith you and have a little bite vhen you really vant it.” She smiled again and placed a hand on the boy’s shoulder. “Candy vas a very precious treasure for us in a very dark place. It is somethink vorth cherishink, and—if necessary—fightink to protect. You must never let somevone take vhat is yours just because they are bigger than you, or scarier than you. Fight for vhat is precious to you.”

She could see the skepticism in the boy’s face and thought for a moment. “Tell you vhat!” she said, clapping her hands together and then pointing a finger at him. “You show me this bully. I vill analyze. I vill tell you best vay to confront him. If you do it? Vin or lose? I buy you a treat, because even if you lose? You should alvays be proud of yourself for tryink. When you try to achieve somethink you might succeed. If you never try? You’re guaranteed never to succeed. Better to try and fail, than to never try at all.”

It took a little convincing but she managed to persuade the boy to make an effort. And yes, he failed. Miserably, in fact, but she intervened before either child could get worse than a couple of bumps and scrapes and she fulfilled her promise. She sorted out the problem between the lads and then took the smaller boy back to the candy shop to reward him for making an effort, and facing something scary.
Vozul rounded the corner with a bounce in her step, her spear tapping merrily along the cobbles of Dalaran as she walked. She swung her day’s catch in her free hand--a neat bundle of silvers. While her coin was forever worn down by the more banal adventurer’s necessities of repairs and healing, whatever she had left was spent, without reservation, on fun.

And what fun awaited! A packed line was gathered at the end of the street leading up to Vozul’s favorite candy cart, which peddled all assortment of fantastical treats, only suited to be sold in the most fantastical of cities. Vozul’s pace quickened, and she rushed into line, soon squeezed between a gaggle of elven apprentices and a white-haired magus behind her.

She eagerly shuffled along over the course of many minutes, toying with the drawstring of her coinpurse as she rehearsed which candies she planned to order on her lips, hidden in the darkness of her imposing skull-mask. When she was just a few shuffles away from ordering, a commotion nearby stole her attention.

A group of human children appeared to be struggling over a coinpurse in the street. Vozul’s Common was terrible, but she could pick out enough words, and the tears in the one of the boy’s eyes, to parse the situation. “Stop!” The boy repeated, growing more desperate as his bullies played keep-away with his coin. A thrill of adrenaline, and indignance, rushed through Vozul. To see the cruelty of humans, so brazenly displayed!

The boy’s bullies seemed victorious after a time. Vozul could not staunch a frown of dismay beneath her mask as their victim was shoved to the cobbles and robbed of his coin. She abandoned her spot in line with a sharp snarl, her body moving, as it so often did, before her mind could catch up. “GIMME THAT!” She roared in Orcish, just as much gibberish to the boys as their Common was to her.

Small though Vozul was for an orc, she was certainly larger than the bullies, and twice as muscular as their fathers. Spittle flew from her skull-mask as she repeated her demand, stretching out a hand to receive the ill-gotten coinpurse. The boys, instead, threw the coinpurse at her and sprinted away as fast as their spindly legs could take them. Vozul felt a dull impact against her mask and scooped the purse up, hefting it in her hand triumphantly. “Hah! Learn to stick up for yourself next time, k--” As she turned back to where the boy had been shoved, she saw he had made an escape of his own. She could hear panicked screaming and crying grow quickly distant in every direction. “...Oh.”

Vozul’s shoulders drooped. “More candy for me,” she muttered, and shuffled to the end of the line.
Ronald walks up to the boy, who stood 1 foot taller than him, and asked him why he looks sad. The boy explained his candy money was looted from some gnome scum and he didnt get any. All the kids teased him as they ate their candy laughing at him because he didnt have any.

Ronald came up with a trade. if the boy would fish up 3 fancy coins from the fountain that Ronald would help him with the candy.

The boy left and Ronald began his task by sneaking into the Filthly Animal bar and sneaking out the back door. Nobody noticed. He was able to sneak behind the candy vendor, and with one quick thrust, knocked him silly stunned. Ronald ruffled through his bags and found 18 pieces of candy and 12 gold pieces.

Ronald went up to the boy, who just finished fishing up the final coin. He traded the boy 6 pieces of candy for the 3 coins.

The boy was happy and he ate 1 piece of candy wanting to save the other pieces. He waved and walked away.

Ronald snuck behind the boy and with one quick motion took the other 5 pieces of candy.

Dont trust a rogue
Nice writings, I've enjoyed reading them all. The orc made me laugh :P
"So I told him," Sevrece rambled onward, eyes glinting, "That if he didn't leave, that I'd eat him. And that fool actually listened!" She let out a snort, shaking her head. "Mortals. They're idiots." She looked back up to Emyrith, raising an eyebrow as the elf didn't even acknowledge her. "...Em?"

Emyrith was too busy watching a small spectacle as they trailed down the bustling street they were on. Two small children were arguing with each other, both red-faced. Though, from the looks of it, one was not from running. She could see the tears streaking his face clearly. She elbowed her gnome companion in the head, nodding. "Look," she whispered.

Sevrece just let out a bad-tempered growl as she followed Emyrith's stare. She just shrugged, glancing back at her. "What? Just kids being kids." She looked back to see one of them raising their hand, soft colors glinting in their palm. "Hm. Looks like one stole the others money." She shrugged again, looking back at Emyrith. "Amazing. Come on, can we go now?"

She shot Sevrece a glare. "No! Look." She took hold of the gnome's head, pointing it back to the children. One of them had sat down on the sidewalk, sobbing into his hands. The one who had stolen his gold was skipping away to the candy vendor. "The poor thing... that's not fair! He looks so crestfallen."

"And? Who cares? He'll get over it. They always do." Sevrece wriggled free of Emyrith's grip, already beginning to walk away as she looked back to see the elf no longer where she had been standing, but marching towards the crying human. She let out a groan, "Come on, Emyrith!"

"Go on without me," Emyrith shot back, ignoring the further protests from her friend. From the corner of her eye, she could see Sevrece grudgingly following her. After a few steps, she stopped. There, her companion stood stiff-legged, watching her with narrowed, fiery eyes. Emyrith already knew she'd be hearing an earful about it. "Come on, Lemons," she said, using Sevrece's nickname. She knew it would at least soften the gnome somewhat. "You wouldn't let someone do that to Ashyr, I know you understand somewhat." At the silence from Sevrece, she shrugged.
She flounced forwards, away from her glaring companion, pace slowing as she reached the crying human. He looked up in panic for a few moments, eyes flashing into distrust a few second later. "Who are you...?" his eyes trailed her warily.

"I'm Emyrith," she said, dipping her head. She glanced back to Sevrece, gesturing to her. "That's Sevrece. We saw what happened. Are you all right? Do you have any cuts or bruises?" She patted one of her herb bags. "I can fix them, if you'd like me to." There was a soft snort from Sevrece, and the soft sound of her shoving from the wall and walking away. She grimaced, smiling. "Sorry about her. She's a grump."

The boy flashed a bit of a smile. "Oh. I understand." The smile faded. "What kind of candy do you like?" The question was sudden, but he looked interested regardless, head tilted.

"Hm... I've always liked sour candies. The more sour, the better. Maybe that's why I get along so well with my friend there," she explained, snickering. "She's the most sour thing this world's ever seen. What's your favorite?" From somewhere behind them, there was yelling. Emyrith intentionally ignored it.

"Chocolate!" He cracked a genuine smile. "I like chocolate! Like that chocolate that has chocolate in it, but fudge-y. That's the best kind of chocolate. So, um... what would you do if you had to deal with bullies?"

She smiled in sympathy. "Well. Depending on what it was, I would try and get it back. If it was something important, then I'd be on their trails immediately, maybe even with backup. And, well. I'd get it back. If it was something I could replace, then I'd probably go ahead and do that, but keep my eyes peeled for whoever stole what was mine in the first place. Then, I'd get them in trouble. Karma."

The boy nodded slowly, going to speak as footsteps from behind Emyrith made them both look up. It was Sevrece, holding a rather plump bag of chocolate. "Here's the best route. Get your friend with no morals to beat up your bullies." She tossed the bag at the boy, nodding. "Happy Hallow's End, mortal. Go home. Come on, Em."

The boy smiled at the bag, sprinting at the gnome to give her a hug. "Thank you! I-I will!" Clutching the bag with a vulture grip, he sprinted off, yowling something. Neither of them could make it out.

Emyrith chuckled at Sevrece's incredulous stiffness. "It hugged me," she muttered, brushing off her robes, "I never should have done that." She let out a long sigh, glancing at Emyrith and rolling her eyes at the grin. "Wipe that grin off of your face already. You're right. I understood. ...Somewhat. Don't speak of that to anyone, or I'll skin you."

Emyrith chuckled, planting a small kiss onto Sevrece's forehead that made her shift away. "You just don't want anyone to know that you're a big softie," she said, snickering. "I know the truth now. I've been enlightened."

Sevrece just let out a dry laugh with a sigh. "Yeah. Sure. Come on, I've got puppies to spit on to balance out the number of nice things I've done today before you start hailing me as a saint." She marched off, leaving Emyrith to roll her eyes at her head, before trailing after her.