[Prompt] Body Jump

(Suggestion by Morician) When you went to bed, all was well. As well as to be expected in the warring world of Azeroth. Yet when you wake up, you are not right. You have woken up in the body of another, with your mind still intact. Your race, your class has changed, and though you have the memories of your prior self, you can no longer access the skills you once had. What are you? How do you adapt and react?

Info

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in the archive thread. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

Disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for every prompt. Some of these I create on my own, some are prompts I’ve seen that I’ve taken a WoW spin to, and some I’ve seen and used in the past, some are ideas spoken in passing between me and coworkers, or guildmates, or some are offered directly from folks on the forums. If I’ve been directly given a prompt from another person, I will credit them unless they do not want to. Otherwise, know some of these are gained through many means.

Archive: Kersia's Prompt Archive and Discussion

Ratheron gazed at soft female hands. Despite his best efforts, they did not yield and become the familiar claws of his true form. He glanced back up at the mirror. Ornate, silvered. The eyes that gazed back were pools of deep azure. Nightborne. And not just any Nightborne.

He turned his gaze to a Blood Knight tabard on the chair beside him. Apparently, this woman had been exploring the Light before he rudely and accidentally possessed her. He reached out a hand and experimentally called on the Light- Shadow hadn’t worked at all, he was shocked to discover. He felt it suffuse him and his vessel, no burn, but within the Light…

“I see smug self-righteousness is a trait the Light itself possesses, not just its pawns.” He remarked idly. The Light had cut him off from quite literally every other source of power, and smugly held its metaphorical head high, as if it had achieved victory over him. “Inconvenient. But I’ve worked under worse conditions.” He declared. He wondered how he managed an accidental possession, but he felt the answers would come to him in due time.

He heard a knock at the door, raising a hand and curling his fingers, only to stop and remember that particular cantrip, a product of the arcane, was lost to him now. He sighed silently. This would take some getting used to. He adopted the persona of the woman he now inhabited, and she smiled wryly. “I’ll be just a moment!”

2 Likes

Duskslayer hefted the heavy axe in his hands. Facing down a massive quillboar, he swung and felled the vicious beast. As he looted gold and silver from the dead corpse, he paused to think of what had happened in the previous hours.

Three hours before

Aeridaras Duskslayer, master assassin of the Alliance and a high-ranking void elf, had woken up to discover that he was now in the body of…a tauren! And one of the opposing faction! Mind controlling an unfamiliar body, the now-tauren stumbled out of the bed and spotted a heavy suit of plate armour hanging on a stand. Beside it was a two-handed battleaxe with sharp curved blades. Two-handed weapons…Duskslayer balked. Where were his beloved short swords that he was so used to plunging into soft Horde flesh?

Sighing, the tauren donned the armour and hefted the axe. It was a touch too heavy for him. As the tauren walked out of the tent and sleeping furs, he noticed a tauren Sunwalker approaching him. Abruptly, he started sweating. Did the paladin notice anything off?

To his surprise, the paladin put one massive fist to its own chest. “An’she’s light guide you, friend. I am Gulnu Sunstrike. You are…?” The paladin questioned.

Duskslayer faltered for a moment, then his quick mind put together an answer. “Hail, paladin. I am Huslu Strongarm. Safe travels.” The paladin grinned and moved on.

Duskslayer grinned to himself. He was starting to like it here.

2 Likes

In the solitude of the small and unremarkable room that had been afforded to Arron for the Zandalar campaign, he could swear that that he heard two voices, nature and origin both unknown, arguing over him in the silence of the dark.

Sleep now. You look so weary.

He has never needed it before. `

Nonsense. Can’t you see he is close to collapsing?

He has endured war before.

Not this war.

Sleep was a stranger to undeath, at least it should be. Yet he could not deny the meager ‘bed’ in the corner, albeit little more than a cloth placed over a slab of stone and two planks of wood, was looking unusually appealing.

Every creature in this world needs an opportunity to regain its strength. You are no exception.

And yet, lapses in consciousness have historically been rather unpleasant for you.

Which simply means that you’re overdue for some pleasantness.

He felt weary. Albeit consistent in appearance, he could feel his strength gradually waning ever since the war began, and he knew neither why nor how to stop it. He simply wanted desperately to feel the relief of respite.

That is a luxury reserved for the living.

Or perhaps a right that need simply be reclaimed?

He rolled the dice. With a twinge of exasperation Arron collapsed into the bed and shut his eyes, submitting himself to the mercy of forces he did not fully understand.

See? Look. You’re back home now. Everything is fine.

Indeed, it seemed so. Arron was standing in the village of his childhood on a bright summer day. He could faintly smell the aromas of freshly baked pies, hear the gossip shared between villagers traveling down the road, and linger upon the visual nostalgia of those old humble houses of brick and wood that eschewed the language of opulence in favor of the language of home.

Stop. It is unhealthy to keep coming back here.

The idealism of the scene before him morphed into a frenzy characterized by the scent of burning wood, of the sky tinged red and of people screaming in terror. And through it all were inhuman howls that sliced through the chaos and flashes of green that made themselves just barely visible in between the bodies of men, women and children fleeing for their lives.

Stop! This is not how the memory goes!

It was true enough of a memory for countless others.

But not for him.

Does it matter?

The people were gone now, any trace of them extinguished. Arron could now see the monsters, faintly obscured by the smoke, yet blatant in all their terrible savagery. Lumbering brutes with skin a sickly green and eyes a fiery red. Thick chests and arms that looked as if they could tear a grown man apart with great ease and two sharp teeth that jutted outwards from their lower jaws. They approached him slowly yet steadily, some carrying their great swords and axes over their shoulders, others crackling with fel magic as they let out sinister cackles.

It’s time to wake up.

How different do you think things would have been if these creatures never stepped foot upon your world? If they had never brought their savagery, their defilement of nature, here?

Wake up.

There would be no Horde. There would be no Scourge. You would still wear the blue colors of your home.

Wake up.

In the corner of his eye Arron could see a thin, fair, elven figure with long reddish hair beckoning towards him. She laughed softly, pleasantly, welcomingly. For a moment, Arron felt happy.

You could have had a life with her.

The form of the elven woman vanished in a puff of smoke, leaving a cold sensation at the sight of her departure.

You could still.

You could have had a -life-.

With a flare of hatred in both his eyes and heart, Arron drew his bow upon the encroaching monsters. He could see their forms clearly now, their ugliness on display, as he aimed at the heart of the nearest one.

Stop.

He was back in the room, bow aimed at nothing but a distant wall. Yet something was amiss. His eyes drifted to the hands in which he clutched his weapon and, in horror, he discovered them to be covered with heavy green flesh. Holding the bow felt wrong, as if his fingers were too thick for the drawstring and his left hand required only a slight bit more effort to snap the wood in twain. His bow dropped with a thud as Arron raced to a mirror positioned on one of the walls, confirming his fears. The face that stared back was as green and brutish as those in the burning town. He traced his face with his right hand and watched the alien reflection follow suit, his fingers dancing over the jutting eyebrow, the pointed ears, the sharp nose, and the rugged chin. It all made him seethe.

Do you not see? You have always been brothers unified by the same house, the same story. Abandoned, maligned, mistreated, hated. And, above it all, misunderstood.

Misunderstood?

But despite the ire of the world you found each other, your bond strengthened by your kindred hearts.

They are nothing like you.

You are more alike than you allow yourself to admit.

They are villains who craft the image of a poor noble savage to play the role of victim before an audience of fools.

They seek honor as you do.

A word that curiously changes with the seasons.

Both of your hearts beat for the same home.

You never asked for -this- home. You had a perfectly good one once upon a time.

Arron waved his hand in the front of the mirror, back and forth, back and forth. The reflection followed suit, but it seemed off by a second or so. Arron waved it faster, faster, faster. The delay increased from one second to two, and then three, and finally the reflection put its hand down and refused to move any longer.

What is it you would have done with them?

There seemed to be an element of sadness in the question.

Isn’t it obvious?

Another figure of elvish proportions materialized behind Arron, just faintly visible in the mirror. But this one was darker and wispier, pulsating with sickening power.

There will be those that bend the knee, and those that do not. One will be subjugated, and one will be purged. Regardless, it is the end of their will.

The Dark Lady will do much more than just that to the Horde.

If we’re lucky.

This is monstrous.

This is justice.

This will not bring you happiness.

But it will bring you peace.

Arron was grinning now. He was sure of it. He was sure it was a wide, toothy, gleeful grin, borne of the happiest sensation he had felt in a long time. Yet the orcish image refused to match it. Its eyes were wide with terror and its mouth was agape.

She would not approve of this.

Do you profess to being the voice in -her- head as well?

She would want you to move beyond hatred.

Which would be a hypocrisy. She mourns her past too.

If she saw the ugliness that you hid from her, the truth you keep in your soul…

Don’t you say it.

She would loathe you.

The words cut deep. Arron used his newfound physique for the only purpose that ever seemed to suit it; again and again he smashed his fist into the mirror. One crack formed, then they multiplied, each time further distorting the saddened image of the orc. Finally, the reflection faced ultimate obliteration and the last shards of glass shattered upon the floor. Arron looked down upon the mess he had made only to notice it was no longer there. He looked up at the wall which once bore the hated mirror only to find it bare.

Alone again in the dark of his room, Arron resolved to simply sit upon the edge of his bed and think in silence until the coming of the dawn.

2 Likes

I awake, body feeling heavy. Hairy? Horn…ie? I dont understand. My room has become much smaller. I can’t wiggle my toes. Why is there a ring in my nose? What has happened? Surely some foul magic is at play here. I must save my people. I must save azeroth. I rise from my bed and prepare to tackle this new threat with a solemn oath; “I, Gamon, Will save us.”

2 Likes

Aanka screamed out - this magic was dark, perverse. Sylvanas’s troops wouldn’t get away with it. They wouldn’t kill her.
The chains only tightened around her as she writhed on the dark stage. A forsaken overseer stood nearby, chuckling, while a group of undead commoners stood below the stage, watching excitedly from afar.
Suddenly, something metal pierced Aanka’s skin. It tore through her back and she could feel it plunge through her chest. As soon as the pain had happened, it stopped, and then everything was black

Aanka woke up in a cold, dark room. The walls were decorated with gruesome carvings, coffins and Night Elven bodies littered the floor, and the smell of Kaldorei blood floated through the air.
As she glanced down at her fingers, Aanka noticed that they were pale and rotting, but still Kaldorei. In horror, Aanka grabbed her ear and pulled it downwards so she could look at it. Dried blood caked the inside of it, and the tips were ripped and greenish.
What had she become? What had the forsaken turned her into!

I’m Herleva, Kul Tiran druidess. I’m strong and powerful, but I carry more than a little extra weight that I’ve long wished would just disappear from my body. Once upon a time, one would have just called me thick, as I had a large bone structure but my fat was kept in check. Now, as I’ve aged, keeping the fat off was becoming impossible.

I went to sleep as usual, not needing extra blankets due to my rather thick blubber keeping me warm. Unlike most druids, if I got cold I could not shift to a furry shape as each of my forms was made of wicker. It didn’t matter. I was warm.

I woke up in the morning positively freezing. This was extremely unusual for a day in the middle of the summer. I stretched for the morning, and went to take off my nightshirt and change into my armor. My nightshirt was much roomier than I remembered. Taking the shirt of of my body, I realized that my waist was small and flat for the first time since before I blossomed into a woman.

I went to my stand to wash up for the day before I put clothing on. I couldn’t believe what was happening! Or, was this all just a dream? As I looked down into the still water of my wash basin, I saw a small, pale heart-shaped face with pointed ears and glowing yellow eyes. My hair, instead of black, was red. My bones were no longer coarse, but fine.

This, then, was the reason everything was too big. I searched frantically for some loose dress that was not an obvious night shirt that I could at least put a rope around my waist while I went to buy something else. But then- as one who appeared to be a blood elf- where would I go? How would I get from Kul Tiras to at least Zandalar in order to blend in and hide?

I could fly. If I switched to my avian form, maybe I could fly to a ship going to Zandalar and there hide? But as I attempted the spell, I realized with a sinking feeling of horror that I was no longer a druid.

What was I then? How would I find out? Where did I remember seeing those Horde outposts? I would have to somehow make my way there.

But I could no longer call myself Herleva Hildebeorn. Who was I then?

I would make my way to the Horde encampment, say I’d gotten a blow to the head and amnesia, and there, they would figure it out.

1 Like