[Prompt] Another year

As always, another year has passed and you find yourself facing the oncoming year. Here, in the moment, you have a few minutes to reflect. What have you done? Have you continued on life long projects and goals? Accomplished something small? Or was this year just a day by day with little grand accomplishments? Where do you go from here? What are you planning, going forward into this new year?

Info

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in the archive thread. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

Disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for every prompt. Some of these I create on my own, some are prompts I’ve seen that I’ve taken a WoW spin to, and some I’ve seen and used in the past, some are ideas spoken in passing between me and coworkers, or guildmates, or some are offered directly from folks on the forums. If I’ve been directly given a prompt from another person, I will credit them unless they do not want to. Otherwise, know some of these are gained through many means.

Archive: Kersia's Prompt Archive and Discussion

2 Likes

The Demon Hunter stepped out of the mage tower in Stormwind and found the sun was nearing its twilight. Darkness encroached upon the city, swallowing the mage district. Though street lamps adorned with holiday wreaths came to life to fight against the gloomy dark. They called upon their little cousins of twinkling holiday lights to aid them. Vesthi’s usual dour mood was tempered by their presence. A group of citizens gathered bellow the tower, organizing a troupe of carolers. The Demon Hunter was careful to side step the gathering. She doubted one such as she would ever be entertained as a recruit for such a cause, but one couldn’t be too careful. Especially this time of year. The holidays tended to put people in joyful and generous moods, and there was no telling what people so inflicted with holiday spirit might do.

Vesthi swiftly found her way to the canals overlooking the memorial to King Varian and the fallen at the Broken Shore. Clasping her hands reverently behind her, she took a slow measured stroll through the solemnity of those gardens. She paused briefly at the path leading down to the King’s empty sarcophagus. She would not descend, deciding that her mere fel-tainted presence was enough of an affront to their memory and sacrifice. She turned her back a moment and gazed out at the wall of names. There were familiar names engraved in marble that she would have liked to touch. To trace a finger over their names and remember, but again… her fel nature.

Instead she slowly made her way out of the gardens on the other side, turned left and strolled quietly to the edge of the platform that descended to the harbor. There she stood and gazed out over the long sea as the purple waters slowly swallowed the remnants of the sun. The fiery sky and dark encroaching night spurred her remembrance of the tragedies endured this past year. The ember of hate still smoldered deep within though it had been tempered with time… and vengeance. Ample blood had been spilled by her own hand, so much that she wondered if it’s stain would ever fully wash clean. One more mark she would carry with her. Another batch of sins whose weight she would suffer under with the knowledge she would do it all again, regardless.

The past two years, since her awakening, in fact had been event filled. Which, in hindsight, was a good thing for a Demon Hunter. Best not to let her hands, especially, become idle. Through all the tragedy and hardships came some good, in some lights at least. She’d reconnected with an old friend, very old in some regards. A rekindling relationship she’d thought was long left cold and abandoned. She also acquired a new unexpected friendship. One that she would cherish all the rest of her days, however many she had left. Her thoughts turned to him, the old Gnome, and his passing. A pang of sorrow pierced her chest like a little arrow. Had she the capability, she’d have shed a tear at the memory.

Vesthi stepped forward to the edge of the platform and lowered herself to sit at the edge. Dangling her feet off the stone wall she sat back and looked up at the night stars. She didn’t know why, the thought always seemed so silly to her, but in the moment, for whatever the reason, Vesthi began to softly speak into the night. Her words carried into the ether upon her frosted breath.

“We’ve come a long way, Cail.” She spoke softly. “Nanaai and I.” Vesthi drew a long deep breath, and continued. “I have you to thank for it. Your kind heart. Your compassion, patience, and understanding. I never got the chance to tell you… to thank you. Your passion often tempered my rage and gave me pause to think beyond myself. You’ve opened my heart again.” She reached to the chain hidden around her neck and pulled forth a ring that the chain tethered. A rather plain ornament with a dark opalescent stone. Vesthi clutched it in her hand for a long quiet moment.

She eventually continued. “I don’t know where I am going, to be completely honest. I have no notion to what lies ahead for me. Lately, I’ve been taking life one day at a time, and that is enough for me. For now. Whatever lies in store for me, be it fate or destiny, I will meet it with compassion. I will foster the passion you had for life until it is my own, old friend.” Vesthi kissed the ring she had clasped and muttered, “Thank you.”

Slipping the ring back beneath her tunic, Vesthi stood and dusted her hands. She could feel the distant searching gaze of her love, Nanaai. Turning away from the harbor she’d decided to do something she hadn’t done in a very long time, since the passing of her friend. “Nanaai,” she muttered into the night air, to no one in particular. “Tonight, I want to go fishing.”

4 Likes

A fresh thick blanket of snow fell upon Khaz Modan. A long valley stretched out from the foot of a mountain peak. Ever green branches of the trees below bowed under the weight of fresh white powder. The trees grew sparse the deeper into the valley, and parted into groves and then stands with ample space between. The white blanket of snow gave an otherworldly silken sheen under the sun. At the base of one such laden pine the head of a snow hare peeked up from its world beneath the snow. It’s dark black eyes searched the frigid white landscape for danger. Its long ears lifted into the freezing air, rotating this way and that, trying to tune into any signal that might spell death and doom. All was silent and still.

With a bound the small creature emerged. Its wide pawed feet perfectly adept at bracing its weight upon the soft snow. It’s white fur camouflaged the creature perfectly with its surroundings, giving it an evasive edge to any predator that might dare. It’s long powerful legs propelled the hare forward, carving a shallow path as it went. It’s keen nose catching the scent of something delightful on the wind. It sped from tree to tree, crossing dangerous open stretches of snow between groves and stands until finally it found it’s prize. Chuncks of something red and sweet lay strewn across the open snow field. Without a moment’s thought the hare bound out into the open to inspect it’s prize. Finding a sizable chunk, the hare first sniffed, then nibbled. It was delicious!

A line of bare wooden poles stood in the snow near the hare. To the creature they seemed as thick tree trunks, and nothing more. At their tops they held large round green orbs. Crack! One of the orbs popped open with loud thud, scaring the hare. The creature turned on its heels and bound for the nearest stand of trees. As it reached safety, a peel of distant thunder echoed in the distance. Not taking another chance, the hare burrowed deep into the safety of the thick snow.

High on the slope of a distant mountain peak the trees began to thin. White ice coated the trees, trunk and branch. It was here that a lone Gnome lifted his head from his rifle scope. Dob pulled down the white insulating scarf around his face. He pulled down the pair of intricate Gnomish goggles that were perched atop his wool capped head, and thumbed the power switch on the side. The goggles hummed to life. Layers of ocular magnification lenses swapped places. Dob groaned to himself. “Off a hair.”

Sitting back from his rifle, the Gnome raised the goggle to their perch atop his head and pulled a small mechanical device from his coat pocket. He began rapidly pressing buttons. “Point two millicroms to the left.” He pulled his goggles down for a moment before raising them once again. “Barometric, point zero two. Azimuth degrade, point zero, zero five.” Dob continued muttering calculations to himself while his thumbs furiously entered his dictations with sequential button presses.

This was his peace. His zen. His silence. Nothing else in this world had ever quieted his loud mind and put him at such an ease as this. Sitting on the mountain slope, hidden away from the world. Nothing but him and the wild. Just him and nature. The air, as frigid as it was this time of year, could be so still. So tranquil. It pulled the chaos out of his mind and left him at peace.

This too was his peace. His focus. The rifle before him was more than just a weapon, or a tool. It was his talisman. His spirit and soul. When he looked down its sights, or in this case through its scope, the world (his world) came into such clear focus. Everything else drowned out. All noise and distraction faded away. In the moment it was just him, and his sight picture. There was a profound intimacy in that. A profound simplicity. An incredible responsibility. Taking action meant ending a life. Erasing a being from the chalkboard of existence in a poof of white dust. Not taking an action might mean erasing dozens more. Ever action, or inaction, carried a heavy consequence.

It was clarity. Focus. Life was simplified.

Outside of his scope, away from his rifle, surrounded by the trappings of civilized existence, life was anything but simple. Few things were clear, and focus… oh, forget about focus. Too many people going too many places to do too many things, and all of it carry on with a pointless existence. That so called Life was meaningless. Dob hated every moment of it.

Well, not every moment. It certainly had its bright spots. Dob’s thumbs slowed their typing as his thoughts trailed off. The memory of a woman, of the love they’d shared, was one of the only things that pushed the Gnome away from his data entry. Away from his rifle and scope. The memory of her for the briefest moments pulled his spirit away from that stand of trees high on the mountain slope, and back into civilization. Then his heart beat. The memory faded. Reality slapped him in the back of the head as the bitterness of their unfortunate parting came flooding back, threatening to damage his calm.

Dob squinted into the distance and huffed a sharp breath through his nose. He pulled his white insulating scarf up over his face and lowered himself against his rifle. A thunderous explosion cracked into the sky and shook the snow from nearby tree branches. Far in the distance, in the valley below, another watermelon exploded upon a pole. Moments later distant thunder clapped from the mountain slope.

This year had been good to him. It had been his best yet. He’d finally found a home within the alliance war machine. A family within the 7th Legion. He’d tried to have a family before. For so many reasons it didn’t take. Time wasn’t standing still, nor was he getting any younger. This was his purpose now, and Dob saw no reason why he should make any changes now.

Dob sat up and jerked back on the rifles charging bolt. A large spent ammo casing ejected, melting into the snow beside several others of it’s kind. Slamming the bolt closed loaded another live round. “Happy New Year.” Dob muttered, then shouldered his rifle once more.

3 Likes

Laegospear wandered on the shores of Durotar. She found a Shaman Totem all covered in bird poop. She then peered into a cave and saw the sundial change as it became noon. She could tell it was spring, she could tell it was noon, and she could tell a year had gone by.

She thought to herself… she had only been aware of the last few months. So much has changed. Her job at the market… exiled for a while… and then she raised pigs then other animals. She did okay in gold and wealth. She bought many things she liked. She hopes that this new year will bring Glory to the Horde.

3 Likes

Paw would probably be sickened with the war not continuing. She collected so many soilders, so many corpses for her brothers of the ebon hold…

At this final moment before the end of the year she would probably at the brawlers guild waiting for a line up. She has pent up aggression’s to get out

2 Likes

Ravasha pressed her hand into the body of a Blood Troll. The Blood Troll struggled but her life force was sucked out, a stream of energy twisting up Ravasha’s arm and hand and into her. The Blood Troll was too weak to fight. Ravasha took them behind some covering vegetation.

“Tell me where to find the artifact you took. It’s meant for healing, not sucking out blood.” She threatened the Blood Troll, constricting her with her magic to drain life.

It was another year. Another year locked in combat. Her sister Vanyxa was still shadowing her. If she were here she’d tell Ravasha to just end the Blood Troll’s life and get it over with.

“If ya spare my life… den de artifact ya seek… is with my sista.” The Blood Troll wheezed. Close to death.

Ravasha left her on the ground and went back into the village. She stuck to the edges of it, out of sight for the patrols. Her succubus cloaked and running beside her, ready to strike with her whip. Another year of fighting and what had Ravasha accomplished?

Ravasha came upon the Blood Troll’s sister. She was engaged in a ritual corrupting the healing device Ravasha’s employer made so that it passively sucks blood out of the living beings in the surroundings. Even her own people were sick and pale, which made Ravasha wonder if the woman was feeding off of her own allies?

Ravasha cast a Chaos Bolt immediately. The huge green projectile screaming into the woman and knocking her off balance, doing massive damage. The Blood Troll responded by gathering a ball of blood before her. Swinging the blood wrecking ball at Ravasha. Ravasha was sent backwards onto the ground.

Another year chasing mercenary work when she’d love to try settling down. Finding a home…

Ravasha cast Incinerate. A stream of fire raced to lash against the Blood Troll, burning her skin while Ravasha got back up. Casting Incinerate after Incinerate, then torching her with an Immolate. The constant streams of fire and burning over time had weakened her greatly, but she just healed the damage with her corrupted artifact.

Ravasha would have to break it. Her employer wouldn’t like that.

Ravasha cast Chaos Bolt once again at the artifact’s location. The corrupted healing item shattered. The energy was released and the gathered blood balls hovering in the air around the battlefield fell uselessly onto the ground. Ravasha let loose with two bursts of fire, charring the Blood Troll’s skin and sending her down.

Ravasha collected the shattered remains of the artifact and went back to sell it to her employer: A Zandalari Troll by the name of Shunna. Shunna had told her she needed the healing artifact, even if she had to smash it to pieces.

I guess I did smash it literally into pieces. Ravasha thought.

She went back to the camp and handed over the broken artifact.

“Happy New Year. Here’s to the same old, same old.” Ravasha said cheerfully. Shunna groaned.

“Ya couldn’t not blow up de artifact?” Shunna asked.

Another year, another job done not to the client’s satisfaction but at least Shunna paid Ravasha partially for ending the corrupted healing’s blood sucking effects.

2 Likes

The rapidly deadening weight of a man, whose heart was pumping life out instead of in, was not an altogether unfamiliar feeling for Tyrra; her dagger slid from between his ribs with all the ease of writing her name. She pushed his neck down slamming his head, as he thrashed his last, into filled with papers and nick knacks. Paintings of his family hung on the wall, little things his children had made him scattered and crushed to dust by their own weight as they hit the floor. With a practiced switch in grip, she drove her dagger through his head until it bit wood on the other side. No more thrashing, no more trying. She pulled her dagger free and stepped to the side, the force of which pulled his body backwards and onto the ground.

He lay still as the moment she was locked in; papers scattered, gathering the brown wet of blood; the rush of inflicting death and a job well done; the doubt surrounding the murder of any living creature; the bittersweet main course of knowing your pockets are only as full as they are because you’re only good at one thing. Tyrra breathed a relieved sigh as his lifeless body leaked out; if they’d been on the second floor of his home she’d have had to do it a lot cleaner. She wondered who would find his body. His children? She wiped that thought clean as she wiped her blade free from his dirty blood. He’d sold orcish children some years ago in a war long since past.

The corner of her mouth twitched with discontent. She sheathed the dagger on her thigh and pulled proof of insolence from a watertight leather pouch on the opposite hip. A folded up piece of parchment detailing his sales, signed and stamped with his rank and family seal. With a flick of her wrist she tossed onto his lifestyle-thickened gut. She heard movement in the hallway and her form dissipated as her form relocated to an adjacent floor’s rooftop, the void carrying her away and into the cover of darkness. Tyrra pressed her back against the cold stonework, enshrouded in shadow and there she sat, staring up as fireworks burst and clamored on in the distance. They only barely muffled the scream of one so newly widowed and, she imagined in her own twisted logic, that she had done this woman a favor. She wondered how anyone could stay so close to evil and not feel it. She wondered if she herself was evil.

It was always easy for her to justify such extreme measures, to circumvent due process or to simply take what she needed. She wondered how much surviving she would have to do this year, how much more blood would be spilled by her hands. Tyrra knew how the world worked and how sickening that, at its core, the evil would replenish faster than the gold could manifest and, ultimately, what she was doing might be futile. Besides, the idea that this monster had a loving wife and kids of his own made her ponder on redemption. She knew, ultimately, no one could take back the things they’d done - she knew that better than most ever would, but had he changed?

That idea couldn’t and wouldn’t matter to her client, an aging orc whose child had been claimed as an object, a spoil of war. She decided some things were beyond redemption, herself included, as she gazed at the celebration with overtired eyes.

3 Likes