[Prompt] Anniversary of Loss

Today is the anniversary of a loss. Whether it was a parent, a friend, a loved one, child, pet, home, or strong belief. Has it been a long time? Or is it a fresher wound on your spirit? Do you share in this loss with others, or were you the only one to lose? Is there a memorial you venture to? Do you always go, or is this time special? What do you do on this day, this anniversary of when you lost someone, or something, dear?

Info

This is meant to be a fun exercise, so there aren’t many rules.

Prompts are fun little things meant to inspire. You don’t have to perfectly match the prompt. Just let it inspire a thought.

I’m going to try and post these weekly, sometime between Saturday and Monday probably. Feedback and prompt ideas are welcome, so feel free to post them in the archive thread. Some prompts will be more thought provoking, some more whimsical. Respect your fellow writers.

Disclaimer: I cannot take full credit for every prompt. Some of these I create on my own, some are prompts I’ve seen that I’ve taken a WoW spin to, and some I’ve seen and used in the past, some are ideas spoken in passing between me and coworkers, or guildmates, or some are offered directly from folks on the forums. If I’ve been directly given a prompt from another person, I will credit them unless they do not want to. Otherwise, know some of these are gained through many means.

Archive: Kersia's Prompt Archive and Discussion

4 Likes

The small horse drawn cart ambled ever up the mountain road. From Aerie Peak via Shindigger’s Camp, it now neared it’s destination. Chillwind Camp. Loaded down with basic supplies for the encampment, it was one of a few that dared make the journey every few days. As the small cart came to its rest just outside the quaint Inn the cart’s driver lean his head back over his should and announced his arrival. A pair of fluffy black pig-tails appeared near the back of the cart. They matched a head of black hair, to which they belonged, which bobbed back and forth. Without a word, a tiny sack that couldn’t have held more than a few coins flew in a gentle arch into the air at the cart man. Surprised, he turned sharply in his seat and captured the tiny sack in his arms.

As the small head of black hair dropped from the back of the cart, black fluffy pig-tails bobbing as if weightless, and made its way around toward the driver, the cart man fumbled to open the tiny sack and count the coin within. “Oh,” The man seemed embarrassed. “This is far too much for a simple ride, young miss. I couldn’t possibly…” He looked up into the kindest green eyes he’d ever seen and stammered. The small Gnome, scarf wrapped high over the lower half of her face, waved her hands defiantly.

Her hands began to flit and wiggle in the most peculiar manner. Though it was clear to the man that she was attempting to communicate with him, she quickly realized that the cart man had no idea what it was she was trying to say. As seamlessly as she could the little Gnome transitioned her hand gestures into a simple thumbs-up and smiled as brightly as her eyes would allow. She nodded her head Yes, offered another little wave Good-bye, then turned sharply on her heels and began walking away.

The cart man tried to protest again, but it was no use. The little Gnome girl was well on her way. Truthfully, she could hear the man just fine. Her hearing was quite keen in matter of fact. She just didn’t wish to prolong her journey with aimless attempts at communication all to try and convince the man to keep the coin. To him it may have seemed generous but to her, it was a trifle. If anything the extra bit of coin was an expression of gratitude for agreeing to bring her this far.

From Chillwind Camp the dark haired, pig-tailed, Gnome some knew as Ethel quietly made her way eastward toward Sorrow Hill and the Shrine of Uther. The air drew colder even as the trees pulled closer to the narrowing roadway. A shade fell over the road and lent a sense of foreboding to the way. As if the very light of day was reticent about going any further. Ethel pulled her scarf a bit higher over her ears and nose, and pushed onward. A building soon came into view that eventually revealed itself to be one in a series of old tombs. Tombstones also appeared along the way. One or two at first, before spreading as if grim wild flowers along the road. Ethel slowed her steps, now and then, to a near pause as she took in the sight of them all. So many headstones. So many names. Ethel drew her coat tighter and forced herself to move forward. Even as memories and emotions of that fateful day came flooding back to her.

Keep moving, Ethel. Just keep moving. The voice in her head (which may have been her own) kept repeating. At long last the road opened wider. The sea of headstones parted. Verdant grass and shrubbery availed itself of the warm light that had decided to join her. Ethel released the grip on her coat and pulled her scarf down just beneath her nose. To her right opened the way up to Uther’s tomb. Ethel deftly turned left and made her path northerly, away from that grand facade.

In the distance ahead of her came into view twin stone pillars, topped by blue triangular caps. One on either side of the roadway, a short low section of wall joined at the base of each to mark the end of Sorrow Hill and it’s cemetery, and the beginning of a bridge. A very large and old bridge with tall archway above the footing. It was, at one time, a grand design of the kingdom that once ruled these lands. An archway marking the entrance to a damned city beyond. An archway that would be etched into Ethel’s dreams. Burned into her nightmares. As she neared that large stone structure, pitted and neglected to the ravages of time, the elements, and unspeakable strife, Ethel felt her heart drop. It was as if she were stepping up to the gateway of the abyss, and just beyond awaited every dark and nasty thing that she’d tried so terribly her entire life to conquer… or forget. In the middle of the road at the food of that bridge, Ethel stopped. A cold wind picked up, carrying as though it were the howls and screams of the damned with it. The wind died, and a still silence surrounded her.

She’d felt the familiar presence long before she’d heard its voice. Low and hoarse, hollowed as it came from behind a thick bone mask. “Jarring. Isn’t it.” Ethel’s ears perked at the sound and she snapped her eyes to the side. From the darkness slowly stepped the small hunched form of another Gnome. Clad in dark robes, appointed with raven feathers. Head clad by a similarly feathered cowl, from beneath which extended a faceless bone mask, shaped with an avian likeness. She clasped hold of a dark gnarled staff for support. “To be here, again…” The hoarse woman’s voice drew a deep wheezing breath. “After so much time.”

The surprise in Ethel’s eyes faded. Replaced by a tender kindness. The bone mask turned from her as the figure neared, and cast its sightless gaze down the road and over the bridge. “I am not worthy of your pity, Sister.” The dark form wheezed another breath. “Though, I am grateful for it.” Ethel began to reach out to touch the hunched Gnome’s shoulder when she felt the pop behind and to the other side of her.

There is a distinct void of air that is produced when a mage casts a blink spell. Each mage’s spell-work is often as unique as the individual themselves, and often producing unique effects even when the spell-work’s purpose is cast successfully. Such it was with Tink, Ethel’s elder Sister. A gifted mage in her own right, Tink often produced a telltale void (or pocket) of air just mere moments before she blinked into that void and filled it. The filling of said pocket often produced a barely audible thud that isn’t so much heard as it is felt. The longer the distance she travels, quiet often, the more forceful the thud. Ethel sharply pulled her hand back and turned to meet Tink.

Tink, as she always does, lightly brushed down her fine robes. She looked up with her sparkly blue eyes and smiled at Ethel. Ethel’s eyes returned the warmth in kind. “Hello, sweet Ethel!” Tink exclaimed. She bound forward and threw her arms around the dark haired Gnome. “It’s so good to see you.” Tink peered over Ethel’s shoulder. All joy and kindness in her eyes and tone was replaced with cold indifference. “And you as well, Lilith.” The dark hunched form breathed a wheeze and offered a hoarse, “Tink” in response. As Tink pulled away from Ethel she turned to the bridge.

“It is…” Tink started a thought. Her voice caught with hesitation. “…quite a thing. Isn’t it. How such a place as this can hold so much meaning. Pain, and sorrow.” A quiet moment passed. The dark hunched figure took a step forward, lifting and moving her staff as she did. Tink spoke sharply, coldly. “Not another step, cur.” Tink remained facing the bridge as she continued. “You may be the eldest of us, but I’ll not endure your foul presence any longer than I must. You will wait until I am gone from here to say your peace.” The dark hunched form withdrew her step and stood silently. Her bone mask watched dispassionately.

With a grand gesture accompanying a muttered phrase Tink materialized a splendid wreath in her hands. With a snap of her fingers a simple wooden stand also appeared. There in the middle of the road, Tink stepped forward and placed the wreath on the stand. She took a few steps back to Ethel’s side. Tink quietly admitted, choking back tears. “I never quite know what to say.” Ethel gestured with her hands. [It doesn’t matter what we say. We will never forget. That is what matters most.] Tink nodded. “Never forget, and never forgotten.” The three Gnomes stood solemnly.

Tink turned to Ethel and spoke softly. “Can I drop you anywhere?” Ethel briefly glanced over toward Lilith before giving Tink a nod. She deftly gestured with one hand just as Tink placed her hand on Ethel’s shoulder, and the pair of them blinked out of existence.

The dark hunched Gnome’s reply was unheard but she spoke it anyway. “Love you too, little Sis.” The hunched Gnome stepped toward the splendid wreath and turned to one side. A quivering hand reached into her dark robes and pulled out a rather wilted red rose, worn from its travel within Lilith’s robes. Her shaky hand lowered it to the cobblestone street. Her strength gave way and the hunched Gnome fell to her knees. From behind the mask came soft wheezing gasps mixed with sobbing and two utterances. “Mother… Father.”

3 Likes

Ravasha couldn’t go back home to Silvermoon City. She had worn out her welcome and the reminder, her Infernal “child,” was walking beside her. She was a traveling businesswoman who never forgot where she came from.

She was in the Ghostlands, as close as she dared to come to her people’s territory. Out there where there were only the beasts and wandering folk to remind her of civilization she felt an ache of loneliness.

“They’re stuck up fools. That’s why we can’t go back. They can’t see avenues of greater power for the Horde.” She said to her child.

They were out amidst a field, the forest around looking sickly and pale like death. A cold breeze blew through and ruffled Ravasha’s hair. The sounds of bugs and birds could be heard.

“Are we going to run forever, Mother? What if they find you? Or my sibling?” The Infernal asked.

“They’ll never take me alive. I’ll give everything I’ve got to protect us.” Ravasha said.

She hesitated and then mounted her Swift Pink Hawkstrider. The bird cawed and picked at her feathers with her beak. The bird seemed to know something that kept her from moving.

Ravasha inhaled the cold air. She realized that infiltration of Silvermoon was theoretically possible and she was good at crafting illusions. But the city was run on magic. Somebody would figure her out.

They began to move. Slowly at first and then quickening into a run. Ravasha saw an arrow fly by, biting into a tree. The owner of the arrow called out for her to halt.

Ravasha actually did what the archer said. She had her mount dig her talons into the dirt and stopped. She got off and turned to face the Farstrider.

“My quest to redeem myself ends here! If I bring you in, they’ll let me back!” The tall Sin’dorei declared.

Ravasha snapped her fingers and a blaze of Soul Fire formed a ring around them. Trapping both into combat. The rogue Farstrider fired another arrow.

Ravasha burned the arrow to ashes with flames and then began casting Chaos Bolt. She crushed her Soul Shards and then released her spell at a tree. When the Farstrider moved, Ravasha snapped her fingers again, calling out:

“Now!”

The sentient Infernal came crashing down on top of the rogue archer. The force of the hit caused her to be stunned and the Infernal trapped her underneath itself, holding her down.

Ravasha advanced and the Soul Fire spread at her feet behind her, leaving the forest blackened, and drawing more heat towards the Farstrider.

“Who do you think you are, dearest? I’m not going to let you take me back. Tell me how you found me before my child gets impatient and crushes you.” Ravasha said.

“Like fel. You can burn and torture me all you want. I was prepared to die tonight.” The Farstrider retorted.

And then like a flash the archer had squirmed out from underneath the Infernal and was back on her feet. She ran through the fire, wincing with pain, and firing a volley of retreating shots at the Warlock.

The Infernal stood in front of them and blocked the arrows. The metal clattered off of it and the arrows fell to the ground.

“Should I follow her Mother?” The Infernal asked.

“No. Let her continue to track us. I’ve got some business associates in Orgrimmar who take fugitives in to be jailed. They’d just love to meet her.” Ravasha said.

The Soul Fire died down and Ravasha and her child left the cold forest to find greener places.

1 Like

The Netherstorm. Turas had not been here since the Horde had sacked Tempest Keep, nearly eight years-ago. It was not as he remembered…

The land was still broken, and the cosmic hurricane of energies still swirled overhead, but the region was… alive! Both green fields and dense forests had replaced the sickly purple, which had once coated this shattered landscape. Turas had spent days wandering the region, marvelling at what had risen in the wake of the previous devastation. The devastation that he and his people had wrought.

Although he did not truly know why he sought out Tempest Keep, Turas’ felt both relief and sadness when he saw that it was gone. After the Arthas’ invasion and the destruction of the Sunwell, his people had turned to the Alliance, and then to Illidan for salvation. However, it was here that the Blood Elves had truly lost their way, and where Turas had lost his sister.

Sarannis had been a soldier, ferociously loyal to (and a little in-love with) their Prince. She, like many others among his people, had put Kael’thas on a pedestal. She saw only the right in what he did, and devoted herself to his pursuits. While Turas had worked on constructing the Mana Forges, and Sarannis focussed on securing the Keep, they grew distant. Turas could see the havoc the Blood Elves were wreaking to the land around them, but when he told Sarannis of the damage they were causing, she dismissed him. Sarannis believed that wholeheartedly that what they were doing was not just necessary, but essential to the survival of the Blood Elves.

When Voren’thal approached Turas to join him in his defection, Turas pleaded with Sarannis to join them. He did not dare tell her about the defection itself, but rather that they would need her military skill in the assault on Shattrath City. He had hoped that given time, and the chance to see a better path for their people, she would come around. She refused, stating that it was her duty to defend her Prince, and that she had believed that Voren’thal and his regiment would succeed without her.

Weeks and then months passed before Turas found himself outside Tempest Keep again. Unfortunately, Turas had been wounded assaulting the very Mana-Forges he once helped build, and he would not get the chance to see his sister again. His recovery had come too-late, and as the Horde prepared to assault The Eye of Tempest Keep, Turas could only search through the wreckage of its Botanica wing for his sister’s body.

A voice cut through Turas’ reverie. “If you have a ticket to travel on that floating fortress, you’ve missed it”.

Turas turned to see an elf, white-haired and wearing long-flowing robes, hobbling towards him and leaning heavily on a staff. Only when the old elf got closer did Turas recognise his former mentor. “Voren’thal?” he greeted the old Magister “How are you still alive?”

“Funny” The old elf smiled at Turas “I could ask the same of you”.

A scowl crossed Turas’ face “It’s not as though I had a choice” he retorted, turning again to face the Twisting Nether.

Voren’thal rasped out a weak laugh. “We’ll, I see undeath took away what little sense of humour you had, my boy”. The old elf stepped up beside Turas, turning to gaze out at the nether as well. “After all this time” Voren’thal asked, “your mind is on Sarannis again?”

“I never returned to Quel’thalas after I laid her to rest” Turas replied. “After the Lich King’s defeat, I remained in Northrend, only choosing to fight when that land was invaded by the Legion. Sylvannas Windrunner was named Warchief of the Horde during that time, and now it appears that she’s consumed by the pursuit of power, similar to how Kael was.”

“Is there another, that you care for, who has been swept-up by Sylvanas’ madness? Voren’thal questioned.

“No, Magister…” Turas answered… but trailed off into his own thoughts again. He could not explain this feeling, nor his reason to come here, of all places.

Voren’thals voice cut through to him again “You see only the devastation that has been brought against our people, not how far they’ve come since our fallen Prince led us here. Despite the paths you chose, or had chosen for you, you care deeply for your people. Sarannis was the same, and if you were to see her again, she would forgive you for taking a path that diverged from hers. You should forgive her for her choices too.”

The two elves stood in silence for a time, simply gazing out at the chaotic energies that of the Netherstorm. Voren’thal broke the silence once more “Come, my boy” he beckoned, turning away from the ledge. As Turas turned to follow his former mentor, he asked, “What path should I follow now?”

Voren’thal turned to face Turas and smiled “Return home, to our people, and the path will become clear” he said. If you need more proof that hope survives devastation, just look around!” the old elf pointed at the verdant landscape before them.”

“I was wondering how…” Turas started to ask, before Voren’thal interrupted him, almost stumbling with excitement. “Ethereals! My boy, they really are a fascinating people! Before you return to Azeroth, you must see…” The old Magister continued on, and Turas listened intently to his former mentor’s tales as they walked. Coming here had made Turas realise that he had been in isolation for too long, and that he would now return home to Quel’thalas, to discover the path that awaited him.

5 Likes

((OOC: This account takes place in a previous point in my character’s history. Unbeknownst to him at this point in time, she was not actually dead. He later runs into her again.))

It was that day. Over the years he’d tried to forget, but not even becoming a demon hunter had sated the former rogue’s grief for his fallen wife. They were as unlike a pair as it might be possible to get; he a Blood Elf rogue and she was a lofty and righteous Human paladin. They’d met in an hour of need and stuck together, fighting with the Argent Crusade. They’d fallen in love, and against the judgement of both of their factions, they’d gotten married.

After they left the Crusade, things were harder for them; she returned to duties with the Alliance and he the Horde. They made a pact to try not to outright kill members of each other’s faction, and they came up with a communication system. Whenever both factions worked for a common goal, they worked together. They took their time, sleeping under the stars, reveling in each other’s company, wishing that the blasted faction conflict didn’t exist.

It was one of those nights when they were captured by the Burning Legion. They were tortured and put in separate cages. Later, he saw her being led out, the demon leading her laughing as he said she was to battle their champion without armor and with nothing but a rusted blade.

He never saw her again.

They continued torturing him, hoping to turn him to their will. Eventually, he was abandoned in the cage and left to die.
But then he was rescued by the Illidari.
In a blind rage he undertook the ritual to turn into a demon hunter. He hoped that in the process he’d lose his soul and forget his grief.

Of course, he was also imprisoned in the Vault of the Wardens. But he remembered the day she died. And he swore he’d go to remember her when he got out. IF he got out.

The chance came. The dratted anniversary of her death came, and dressed as he did when he was a rogue, he returned to Light’s Hope Chapel, the place where their love blossomed.

He sat at the entrance to the chapel, head in his hands, and tears came forth from his eyeless sockets.

3 Likes