Prioritizing convenient “efficient” gameplay over Social/Fun

It’s both actually

Do you socialize in random BGs? How many xrealm friends have you made that way? It’ll be the same for DF. Not taking a stance on this issue. Just saying, DF won’t be a social environment. We already know this from having it in the live version of the game for over a decade now. You only communicate when something goes wrong and it’s usually a negative experience.

3 Likes

I’m gonna admit I don’t really socialize much in dungeons, either.

Yep. Some if like me can’t work rotations and chat. Those that can…good for them. An ability I wished I had…but I don’t.

BG’s are also a bad example. Comms is for fighting…not bringing up pineapple on pizza. that talk of Heresy is for after. in other channels.

4 inc to objective X. Help

help is inbound…(as some 2 man peel off 1 player off another objective).

all that needs to be said.

I’ve been lucky enough to experience what everyone keeps saying doesn’t happen. I’ve made friends in dungeons because people were social. I found a guild in CV in a BRD group. And when they didn’t transition to TBCC, I found my next guild in a SV group. All from them being super upbeat and chatty. I understand it’s an anecdote, but it happens. I also found my current guild in the LFG channel. TBH, probably never would have joined a guild if my dungeon groups hadn’t been such a positive experience. Haven’t needed to be in one in live since Cata introduced RF, thought I could get by without one in Classic. But I wanted to raid for nostalgia and you don’t get that feeling in GDKPs or most PuGs.

2 Likes

If I’m chatting in BGs, the chats are:

1. Communicating what I’m doing or what I think should be done
  2. Congratulating a good play
  3. Encouraging folks to keep trying
  4. Ripping on anyone giving up too early or for playing the blame game
1 Like

My point wasn’t that people communicate more in dungeons, it was that DF incentivises the same type of strickly utilitarian approach that rbgs do. Mostly because you have no reason to establish relationships with people from other servers.

If you think listening to spergs troll a chat channel with politics, homophobia and racism for several hours while lfg is ‘socializing’ the republican party is over there - /em points at door.

1 Like

Holy cats this needs to stop.

3 Likes

Yep, it does. Especially considering we have multiple versions of the game now without LFD and the social nature of the game is non existant.

4 Likes

actually all of my friends list are people i have met that way, sure 21 people might not fill a classic/TBC raid roster (outside of Kara/ZA) but it’s more than enough people that usually one of them is on if i ask for runs.

but also, i have dungeon runs on my druid i’m leveling where the only thing i’ll say is “i’ll heal” or “i have (ZF) mallet” so it’s disingenuous to try and say that LFD isn’t social because you don’t have to whisper someone to get an invite.

There’s absolutely nothing social about todays lfg scene.

Spamming and watching lfg bb for any new groups or updated needs is not social. And forming groups in this way is not any more social than RDF.

Idk about anyone else, but I can count on one hand in tbc the amount of deep and relational conversations I’ve had in dungeon groups.

Comparing my dungeon interactions in tbcc to retail I’d actually say it’s exactly the same if not worse.

Form up and everyone waits for everyone else to summon them. When specifically asked to help summon a large portion will say “can’t, slow mount” as they continue questing or farming (sounds pretty similar to the gameplay loop with rdf in retail).

Then by the time summons actually start, people end up afk and there’s frequently “wtf [class or abbreviated character name] where are you?” Followed by “kick them, dps are easy fills”… pretty similar to rdf retail.

Now let’s look at actually being in dungeons. At this point in the expansion it’s basically aoe pull and aoe burn down with specific cc or interupts… pretty similar to retail. Earlier in the expansion the only other communication was actually saying “sheep moon, trap square, kill skull then x” or “let me LoS pull”. Or a brief breakdown of a boss… this all happens in retail as well.

NOW… if there’s a mess up, something consistent with retail is blaming the tank or healer, I’m sure we can all agree on that. But beyond that literally every aspect of the dungeoning experience is exactly the same imo as retail minus the convenience of LFD.

I know this is completely anecdotal, and I’m sure some people in favor of this removal would say that they have a lot more interaction in dungeons, to which I’d say you were probably in discord voice, because why would anybody type a ton of text during a dungeon instead of pulling and killing?

The socialization people are yearning for actually happens in discord communities and in discord voice. So unless wow develops an in game collaboration platform that rivals the functionality of discord, expecting socializing to be the same as in 2004 (but even then, the true collaboration of real teams and guilds happened on their self managed websites) is kind of silly to me.

TLDR - if you think todays lfg experience is social or should be the standard for doing the easiest end game content (which is now and will continue to be gate kept by the community when it comes to class perception), then I think you are silly and probably should go outside and get your social interaction in real world settings.

6 Likes

I dont have any comments on the discussion. Just wanted to say (to the OP) I’ve noticed how much better your English has become in such a short time. I been having trouble placing what your native tongue may be as your typed responses don’t seem to follow any pattern I’d expect. Its almost as if you were an English speaker pretending to be a non-English speaker…but that doesn’t make any sense does it?

This post… is honestly the most incorrect thing ive read on these forums in forever, shocking its not a lemonfront post.

Imagine actually believing LFD A. is the reason retail “is how it is” and B. Is the FIRST in people playing efficiently.

Bro idk where you been, but people killed rag in classic wow after day 5 from launch. People been playing classic incredibly efficient since day 1. LFD has absolutely NOTHING to do with that.

There are also a ton of ninja’s right now, go to hall of shame channel on bene discord, it gets 20+ posts a week of ninjas. We are on 30k player servers, ninja’s have free reign to do w.e they want. LFD wont create any more/less of them.

nobody’s main socialization is coming from a 20 minute 5 man dungeon. It comes from raiding with your guild and doing pugs and GDKPs. Ive run idk 1000 dungeons in TBC and remember like 1 person from those 1000 runs. Get in get out see ya.

just so wrong, so much cope… its sad that people like you who are so wrong drive the decisions being made in these games.

I mean tanks/heals will just drop from a TBC heroic group that was made without LFD after 1 or 2 wipes at the start of a dungeon. Almost as if the whole community is already toxic and selfish even without LFD.

Hell, people do this in M+ with retail even after waiting 20-30 minutes making a group and traveling to the dungeon. Almost as if this behavior is inherent in most of the playerbase.

No LFD = Not playing meta class? Good luck getting in a dungeon bro. Try getting into a dungeon as rogue or fury warrior in TBC… Good luck.

no LFD is for the elitists… OP is just so wrong its insane.

1 Like

If only people could start their own groups if they have trouble finding a group that will take them… oh wait, they can!

You can for sure, then they join your group and see youre a rogue and say F that.

Happens literally all the time.

I’ve never experienced it on my rogue. Could this perhaps be something personal to your character? Are you using appropriate gear for your class? Are you playing viable talents?

Shanxi is Lemonfont if you’re referring to the OP and not a reply.

They tried to hide it with broken English but that comes and goes depending on their annoyance level.