Prioritizing convenient “efficient” gameplay over Social/Fun

That is the reason many classic players quit Retail, first major product of this philosophy is LFD. Second was LFR, and well you know rest.

LFD kills social nature of game and priotizes conviency and “Efficient” game play (As many Pro LFD supporters say they specifically want for Faster Levelling + Faster Token grind)

No hero journey, No socialization, 20+ Min DPS Queue, and Ninjas abound in Cross realm queue. But dont worry. Atleast we don’t have to copy paste “LFM” message in LFG (so hard)

People will look at Cons and say “well… it makes dungeon go faster!!”. Just like world pvp, people will want it till they have it for a while and then realize that mabey adding “Instant Dungeon Button” wasn’t good for MMO, Social experience or RPG

Mark my words if LFD is readd, there will be honeymoon “omg we won!” then Wrath classic launch and year later people realize what was loss after taking Social MMO for granted.

PS: Predicted Fail “Gotcha” reply: “Well classic has already has Mage Boosting blah 58 boost blah blah” People dont want LFD have never wanted or liked those things.

21 Likes

Do you have any add to discussion or just complaining behavior

1 Like

no just pointing out the obvious.

3 Likes

What obivous? You made up a random word and you called me it. Is this Kindergarden

2 Likes

LFD = get into more dungeons, meeting more people and socializing, even being able to be active in the overworld doing quests and gathering while waiting

no LFD = staring at chat/addon all day and hoping you have the fastest fingers in the west when typing “/w inv dps” and not being able to do anything other than look at said chat/addon because it moves by so fast.

looks to me like the people who don’t want LFD are prioritizing the game to be as annoying and obtuse as possible just for the sake of “community”

35 Likes

You must think Times Square is more social than local coffee shop because Times square has more people.

You can do this without lfd btw

4 Likes

I don’t consider spamming LFG for a level 40 dungeon for 2 hours fun. I don’t consider running all the way to a dungeon just for the healer to drop group as being social.

29 Likes

Good because nobody is saying it is. And i’m sure healers and tanks will never AFK or drop group in cross realm LFD right??

1 Like

Sure they will, but the difference is the system is ready to automatically fill group if someone leaves and its pulling from the entire playerbase of WotLK, not just one server.

So instead of having to spam LFG for 30+ mins waiting to find a tank or healer on your low pop realm, the system automatically finds you one

12 Likes

Cross realm players who will never encounter you again will definitely be as social as people from Same server community right? Surely they won’t ninja or treat you less knowing this right?

So instead DPS wait in queue 30+ min while the system find you tank and heals. But dont worry guys this system is better cause you dont have to copy and paste message in lfg. Thats so difficult after all

I want to play on this mythical server you play on where ninja looters and toxic people actually get punished or blacklisted because I’ve never played on it.

(4: LFG) Studhuskie: Shanxi is a ninja looter. Don’t group with her!

LFG: :cricket:

5 Likes

if you are worried about those things make your groups the old fashion way and don’t use it. The portals to the dungeons are still there.

1 Like

People ninja now with no consequences.

I’ve run dungeons where no one has said anything at all.

I don’t get how not having LFD is going to change anything.

17 Likes

But them rose colored glasses…

4 Likes

You’re aware that retail still has many more active players than classic and tbcc does right?

You’re also aware that retail was able to regularly pull in subscribers over the 5 million mark for over a decade? Especially on the launch of new expansions.

Classic and TBCC came no where close to those numbers.

The reason people stopped playing retail isn’t as clear cut or as obvious as you suggest it is. Games get old, people lose interest in them and play other games instead. There is no defining reason as to why people felt the need to stop playing, but the way the human brain works, people will make up reasons, they’ll justify and rationalize. It’s almost always BS.

And in the case of LFD being the reason people stopped playing retail, yeah, it’s BS. It’s fickle people who whine about everything and have very little insight into the experiences or perspectives of others.

LFD is a great tool that kept the game a live for over a decade. Without LFD the game would have fallen off drastically and we’d probably have never seen classic or tbcc ever released at all due to how unpopular the game would have become.

11 Likes

The people being more honest have just admitted they know it’s not good for the games social fabric. It’s good for their convenience and time to enter dungeons. Many rolled on megaservers and don’t have a sense of community anyway.

Its easier to just demonize dissenters and use reductionist arguments so you never have to cope with the fact that you cant (or dont want to) handle the older games - especially when older WoW was already made for a fairly casual audience.

Look at all the arguments defending boosts, dual specs in TBC and now RDF. People just want what’s easiest. They already ruined the experience for themselves by rolling on megaservers and never talking to anyone.

3 Likes

We rolled on mega servers because we want to actual play the game, not some anti-social conspiracy.

3 Likes

We’re trivializing this whole social non social thing, soul/no soul/ discussion. It’s not about one feature. It’s about a whole slew of decisions Blizzard made 15 years ago.

Granted, this affected only a small % of players, but most of the progression raiding guilds on Smolderhorn, Blackrock, and Mannoroth all disbanded in TBC. This is my personal experience, but I imagine the same would be on any other server. There was no LFD yet. But rampant server transfers and reduced raid sizes to make things more accessible started it. You have 40 progression raiders - all with over inflated egoes, now separated into an A team and a B team. You also have a handful guilds transferring to other servers because they were tired of being corpse camped by Vodka in front of raid instances. All in all TBC did more damage to WoW itself than LFD ever did.

Being efficient like LFD is, didn’t start in Wrath. It started in TBC. But Wrath just sped things up. The old school player died off. The new players came in.

3 Likes

Was there mention of LFD in wrath being cross server? I was hoping for it to be server locked like how it was in its original stage.

Not too sure about that one. What killed/kills retail wow is literally the fact that people are FORCED to do dailies in order to not fall behind in power and can even attend in current content.

2 Likes