Primordial Trolls confirmed in Dragonflight

I would point out, orcs and draenei are still “children of the titans”. The orcs were a descendant of creatures created by Aggamar and the draenei are probably a result of Argus existing.

And? i spoke exclusivly about Azeroth…not the titans.

Oh I just wanted to point that out. That every playable race as of right now is considered a child of the titans, this latest lore about the trolls just confirms that they are as much a product of the titans as anyone else.

Which again makes the whole “all lands are troll lands” an even more redicoulous argument.

On the contrary, we can now proudly proclaim "All land is Elemental Troll Land! ":stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

19 Likes

Yeah at this point I’m really pointedly nervous about them touching on yet to be explained facets of the canon.

The Trolls being Azeroth’s naturally occurring dominant humanoid was always interesting. It made a lot of their pricklier moments understandable. How reasonable do you think Earth humans would be if we were made a meager minority power on our own planet by mutants and robots that grew skin? To the point where now we have to team up with completely unrelated alien invaders just for a shot at getting back like Rome or Mecca?

Finding out they only exist because the Titans threw some tusked apes into sparkling goo would be a lot less interesting. So that’s probably what they’re going to do.

20 Likes

Yeah none of us truly care about the elementals/old gods hence why we are still keeping them in the various elemental planes.

Killing trolls…

Nothing says welcome back to Azeroth than killing trolls.

7 Likes

I was curious if there would be any old NE ruins or remnants of Troll societies on the Dragon Isles. This is excellent news.

There is literally nothing in WoW that cannot be improved by the presence of trolls. I will die on this hill.

16 Likes

the trolls were retconned to appear long after the titans were done with their work.

Yeah they’re likely the missing link between the Zandalari and the lifeform that gave birth to the entire Trollkind… There’s the theory according to which Trolls are actually descended from reptiles (hinted at by their natural connection with dinosaurs of all sorts and the patches on the Zandalari’s skin that definitely look like scales). From that perspective, considering that Dragons themselves are descended from Elementals, a possible ancestry line could be :
Elementals → reptiles → Primordial Trolls → Zandalari Trolls → Jungle/Sand/Forest/Ice/Blood Trolls
Elemental origins would explain why Primordial Trolls are to be found on the Dragon Isles, since it’s an ancient place that’s bursting with elemental energies.

I also happen to think that the Dire Trolls, instead of being the genetic anomalies that they’ve always been depicted as, may actually rather be rare resurgences of Primordial Troll genes. I guess we’ll see when we get to take a look at their design !

Troll lore ahhh

14 Likes

Weird thought—What if Trolls were created in the same Neltharion projects that later on eventually produced the Dracthyr? That might be why Trolls are so uber adaptive.

2 Likes

Would be interesting if Rokhan and Talanji reach out to this group to bring them back into the fold, if they’re receptive.

I second this, except that trolls are too often pushed as “savages” in need of culling in too many instances, and rarely ever in a positive light.

12 Likes

Depending… If they are some sort of elemental precursor trolls they may never of been part of troll society to begin with. Then It be more of an AR recruitment campaign scenario.

2 Likes

That would actually be super cool. I know their regeneration is due to their connection to loa but still maybe that tied back to worshiping dragons or harnessing elements orginally.

A massive army of regenerating soldiers would be perfect for Neltharion. Maybe he got cold feet after they tried to kill or control a “god” (that is a dragon) a la Zul’drak?

I’m very interested in this new development. In one part, it’s because the idea of elemental trolls is very appealing to me, a troll shaman. If we get a tier set based on their aesthetics, there’s a decent chance that that’s the only mog I wear until the servers shut down.

In another part, it always weirded me out just how LITTLE trolls and dragons have to do with each other. I remember back in 8.3 I got the trinket that randomly flashed dragon wings on the back of your character and was thinking just how out of place it looked on my troll. Then I pause for a moment and asked, “Wait, WHY does that feel out of place?”

The greens hang out with the wild gods, and the loa are a type of wild god, but that never bridges over to them hanging out with trolls. Some dragons hang out with elves, and trolls love to fight elves, but that never bridges over to trolls fighting dragons. Zul’Drak is right next door to the Dragonblight, but nothing comes of it. Zul’Farrak is in the same zone as the Caverns of Time, but nothing comes of it. Trolls WORSHIP giant magical reptiles, but this specific breed of giant magical reptile is something they never even think about. They don’t even care about taming proto-drakes, which are basically just fire-breathing dinosaurs.

These two races have existed since before the empire of the elves, but somehow they just never crossed paths or been in the same room. One of the only times I can think of was the Green’s involvement in the Sunken Temple, and even that was more about Hakkar. It’s surreal, and somewhat of a relief to finally see it remedied. I wonder if there is any history between the two that has simply gone unspoken all this time.

23 Likes

I always thought those were stone growths not scales. Some trolls even grow moss on their skin and turn green because of it. Trolls have light fur all around their bodies which gives them their colorful tones. I don’t think Zandalari have light fur though, they seem to have stony growths all over.

4 Likes

This is a sincere problem with Blizzard’s writing in general. The only people who matter in the past are night elves, unless it’s humans and/or night elves killing trolls.

Trolls are the oldest player race native to Azeroth, and their history is miniscule compared to the nelves, and even humans!

17 Likes

We don’t know this in fact leave this a mystery

1 Like

Eredar are just Talbuks that mutated when exposed to Arginate.

We know that the Eredar used Arginate in their creations so… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

before the wota, the elves and dragons were not closly allied either, and it was allways strange that the trolls didn´t get the kind of support from the dragons in the war of shifting sands against the C’Thraxxi and silithiden war of the empire of zul.

The wota changed the entire “Setting”, the night elves and dragons started their relationship, the night elves were mortal inmortal guardians of nordrassil and nature…

1 Like