Priest 10.1 Tier Set Bonuses

every third penance is shadow penance and gives SCov for 5 seconds basically

1 Like

~1 Mind Blast worth of damage per minute and 5 seconds of the worst cooldown in the game are some of the worst bonuses they’ve ever added. If talents interact with the tier Shadowfiend then we’re locked into Y’Shaarj for the whole patch, which undermines the whole point of the talent trees even if the power level is fine. It wouldn’t be a big deal if it were a mid-tier talent we had to lock into, but locking us into a capstone isn’t acceptable.

The way it reads, it doesn’t sound like that to me. It sounds like you get 20% of a defensive penance on a nearby target, which is significantly more than atonement.

If it works how you’re saying, then you’d only ever cast defensive penance, because 35% of a defensive penance is 43% sp per bolt, rather than offensive penance’s 40%. Basically you’d get a 3% more sp offensive penance with defensive penance’s healing. That SEEMS incorrect.

i feel as if we swap the shadow 4 set from “shadowfiend/mindbender” and make it “thing from beyond” as well as maybe reward some insanity so we don’t lose out on that from swapping it would be a good change… helps with aoe (isn’t capped) as well as single target, but most importantly makes it to where we don’t feel obligated to go the “inescapable torment” route.

Hmm ok yeah I think I got it wrong it’s probably as you say, it’s 20% of a defensive Penance not 20% of the offensive penance value…

That would make it about 3x better of what I originally estimated… So I guess that makes decent (around a 3% hps gain I think)… And could be more if it interacts with Contrition.

So ok that’s not so bad, still way below the ones that flat out buff their core spells by 15% (or more) but with the understanding that numbers tunning is still in process I think it can be ok.

The holy priest set bonuses look good in raid but in m+? Damn that really really sucks wow.

Yeah I think it’s going to take testing.

On one hand, Scov one seems kinda lame.

On the other hand, if it works with embrace shadow, we have near 100% Scov uptime, which is really big. So we’ll see. Chances are they’re very underpowered, but testing could prove it wrong.

The 4-set one I think it’s going to be very awkward… For Raids I hope that doesn’t mean that we now also need to add even more prep to our ramps by having the 4-set proc ready to go…

And even in M+ seems pretty awkward to time it so you are not getting it while Shadow Covenant is active already, I guess it could add to the duration but still I don’t think it’s great design…

Hmm ok I didn’t consider this, I seriously doubt it works with Embrace the shadow though, that would be kind of cheating I think… Have a 5s proc but it’s extended to 13 because of Embrace the Shadow, nah I really don’t see Blizzard allowing that…

But ok if that happens it would mean near 100% uptime on Shadow Cov… Nah now way that’s gonna happen lol…

I think I need to see how holy’s works, because right now the 2 pc sounds insane to me. It has a chance to duplicate on each bounce, so if you have 6 charges left and it duplicates, it puts 5 on 2 others? If it works like this, this will be strong. Might be close to 50% (or more) bounces. If it’s this high we will see more apoth procs, and more/more free holy words. This is essentially our top heal when it comes to hps and hpm I have no issues getting more off.

It shouldn’t even be considered for pvp purposes, we have pvp gear for that, and I don’t know about you but I still use mending frequently in M+s.

With the 4 piece it will mean a lot of overhealing or minor damage increase and less value that it looks with some juicy sanctifies once in a while.

Until I understand it further, imo I’m excited for it, 2 pc strong! 4 pc meh but maybe holds its own

Yeah, I kind of agree - but tier sets have worked like this in the past, and I mean it’s way more equivalent to the druid flourish juice as a 4p if we just have a 95% uptime Scov.

But yeah, we have to wait till the tier is in PTR. I’m ready to be super disappointed by it, but it COULD mechanically be strong. :person_shrugging:

So these are the only new tier sets available to priests?

Why are there no bonuses to smite, holy fire, or holy nova?

The four piece set gives a bonus to “holy word” damage. Exactly what holy words do enough damage to warrant getting the four piece set?

Holy is a healing spec, as such it has healing based bonuses. Holy priests shouldn’t be looking for their tier sets to provide damage boosts.

Holy Word: Chastise is the only offensive holy word spell in their tree. The damage boost is probably added so you don’t end up overcapping on stacks as often since you can fire off a chastise when the other two holy words are on CD or aren’t needed.

I usually don’t take Chastise in my raid build because it’s hard to budget for.

1 Like

I am intrigued at how it will play out in raid but definitely bummed at its application in keys. Going up against evoker and druid healers is going to feel like even more of a joke. I usually find the bright side and all of that but I am having a hard time seeing it with the set as it is.

It is almost like why bother with the set for keys? (Except maybe for grievous weeks, where it will have its day in the sun I guess)

I think they were just asking because the tier set mentions an increase of damage and healing of their next holy word.

Even with 15 stacks of the set bonus and 2-stacks of Pontifex, Chastise would still hit for less damage than Holy Fire.

Then why bothering listing the word “damage” as a bonus in the description and limiting to only holy word spells?

Because Holy Word: Chastise does damage, and the tier set increases it?

1 Like

Yea, but they could have thrown us a bone with smite. Perhaps giving it a 10% chance to be instant cast with the 2 piece set and 20% chance to be instant with the 4 piece set.

Or gasp… make smite castable while moving with the 4 piece set. It would be limited to only Holy Priests. You could still be interrupted and countered easily so it’s not super overpowered if only holy could do it.

As is, that holy priest set is the most uninspiring garbage I ever saw.

Shadow priest main here;

2 pc - probably fine, forced to take a talent but its a 100% taken talent anyways so it’s whatever, cool psychic link damage i suppose.

4 pc - ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. This needs to be changed ASAP. Make it something more ideal to our kit / fantasy

My recommendation would be shadowy apparitions have a chance to become explosive dealing X shadow damage to all nearby targets (can cap this or make it split amongst whatever), and generates X insanity.

This fits any build players go, increases our insanity generation which was decreased (for some reason).
This would also feel good for both ST/AOE, especially if it is done as split damage with a high base value.