Prideful is almost fun, but it's awful

The idea of a mini boss spawning from our pride and having to kill it to get a buff is fun. At least it would be if I didn’t have to plan around the exact percentages it spawns at. All of a sudden, everything I pull or don’t pull is a calculated process. I have to do my homework and go through boring guides and download a route for a boring addon. If I pull 1 pack that is outside the optimized route, the timing for when prideful spawns gets messed up.

This doesn’t feel like a dungeoncrawler, it feels like speedrunning strategies.

I was having some fun doing mythic up to +9, but then +10 and higher is so methodotically static that I’d rather contribute to the tank shortage by refusing to queue.

24 Likes

I agree. The obsession with perfect routes in Mythic+ has always been offputting and the seasonal affixes have made it even worse.

17 Likes

I think Prideful is a great affix as long as you’re coordinated.

Being able to plan around when Prideful spawns and where you take that buff is the mark of an excellent group.

But if you mess up your mob count? HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boy are you gonna have a bad time in many dungeons.

3 Likes

Prideful, like Brownsamdi(sp) before it, is fine.

Completing high end mythic + has always been about optimization. Prideful does not change that in the slightest.

All it does is alter the way in which you design your route, giving another thing to consider when piecing it together. If this were something you had to do in, say, regular mythic, that’d be a problem. But it’s not. It’s only something which shows up for the people who were already to the point where they were planning routes and managing percentages, so it’s like complaining that a mythic raid boss has a mechanic over heroic.

Added difficulty and nuance is kind of the whole point.

I will say that Prideful’s weakest aspect is how it’s basically all on the tank. Tanks already shoulder the bulk of the responsibility in mythic +, what with route planning and tempo setting, so then having to make it so they need to factor the prideful into the route does make every single run they do even more “their run” than it already was. Which definitely exacerbates how apprehensive people are about tanking, and therefor does intensify the tank drought.

5 Likes

I disagree, but that’s probably because I’m a Holy Priest and OOM is the name of the game I play. The mana restoral almost makes me feel like I’m a real Mythic healer instead of underpowered garbage.

2 Likes

I agree it adds a lot of responsibility on the tank, but it’s no different from the Reaping or Corrupted affix from BfA.

I absolutely love the mana restoration as a healer main though. I’m not looking forward to next season where we have to face the mana drinking nerf again.

3 Likes

The entire game is being turned into speedrunning funneling into MDI because devs think that should be the game’s future. Seriously, you missed that?

4 Likes

I think Prideful is fine outside of Tyrannical weeks.

When you wipe on a tyrannical boss and have to face it without prideful or lust I just want to dieeee.

4 Likes

I mean you don’t need perfect routes. You can get a feel for percent doing it your own way.

You know what the guide isn’t going to tell you? How to pull when things go wrong. I can go find a Dratnos guide for every dungeon if O want, but it can easily be ruined by a single face pull throwing off percent.

I get the grievance with hating needing perfection for routing, but as you learn you will get a feel for it and will understand when you need certain percents for certain packs/bosses. Not everything needs to be so perfect… plenty of keys ruined because people think their is only one way to do things.

This is terrible though. Wiping with your buff on a boss can mean the key is dead even with a good amount of time left.

1 Like

Honestly, I would prefer if Prideful didnt give a buff.

That way you arent forced to line the spawn up just before the boss, but you still need to manage it so it doesnt spawn at a bad time.

And you also dont get people instantly quitting once you wipe once on a boss because they think not having Pride means there’s no chance.

1 Like

There’s nothing worse than dying on a boss on tyrannical boss and just knowing that the key is dead because of it

Here’s the problem, though:

The hardest bosses feel borderline impossible without Prideful. If Prideful didn’t give a buff stuff like Amarth, Margrave Stradama, and the like would become brick walls at incredibly low key levels.

It bothers me that Prideful basically requires 3rd party information to handle properly.
You need at least something that tells you what % each mob gives, and preferably something that lets you plan and share routes.

Doing by guess and by golly ends up with it spawning in the wrong places in most dungeons.

1 Like

if you’re gonna be doing high keys you’re gonna be looking into addons/mods to figure out how to run them better and more efficiently regardless.

second boss of sanguine depths (executor tarvold psure is the name) is literal cancer on higher keys even during fortified and usually is a make or break for the dungeon with or without prideful just due to how much dmg he throws out

1 Like

No you don’t. I have no problem pugging, and keying, 13s and below. The only dungeon I looked up a route for was Other Side. All of my other routes I specifically did 6’s and 7’s for, to watch the percentage gains and develop my route, before stepping into the 10+ keys.

That makes zero sense, and here’s why.

Pride doesn’t exist on +9. But people are able to do them. The jump from +9 to +10 definitely isn’t massive enough to absolutely require a prideful buff. So, if people can do +9 without Pride, they can do +10 without Pride too.

1 Like

But this doesn’t scale linearly whatsoever.

It would be doable at a +10, sure.

It would be doable at a +11, but it would be much harder.

It would become even harder on a +12.

It would become absurd on a +13.

And +14 or beyond would be too hard for it to be considered even remotely reasonable.

Keys don’t scale in a linear fashion. The jump from +12 to +13 is smaller than the jump from +15 to +16. As you push higher, the jump becomes even crazier. And when the bosses work the way they do you’d end up having a Margrave Stradama that would be impossible except for players that outgear the content by a massive margin.

The dungeons are designed with Prideful in mind. If Prideful wasn’t what it was the dungeons would need to be nerfed massively, almost completely across the board. And considering how Margrave Stradama, Executor Tarvold, and Amarth happen to be even with Prideful existing it’s pretty fair to say they aren’t planning on fixing those sorts of problems.

And?

Mythic gets harder the higher the key. That’s how it’s supposed to work.

You aren’t supposed to be able to run +14s with the same gear that you do +9s. And since +14s drop the best gear available, I don’t think it’s such a stretch for them to be fairly difficult and require a high level of gear.

Worst case, maybe the people pushing 25 keys currently would only be pushing 22s. Not exactly a huge loss.

Well, here’s the problem:

+14s drop 207 gear and +15s drop 210 gear but you’d need much, much better gear than 207 or 210 to time those keys unless your group is extremely coordinated. But you don’t need that level of coordination for Heroic anything or the first two Mythic bosses.

3 Likes

I haven’t tried prideful yet…did +9 HoA, and missed +9 SoA by 10 seconds, and while I know prideful gives a buff…I already feel like we rely on tanks too much.

Well, whatever. That’s a player issue and not an affix one. I’ve seen vids, and it looks intense.