Premades have completely ruined the PvP BG experience. Do something already

Are you saying this system already exist in arena?

It’s impossible to match up against someone you’ve played recently?

I don’t know much about arena or how hard or easy it would be to force match ups. But I could see them having had to implement something to fight win trading or some similar exploit.

But like I said, it can be done, just wont be a couple lines of code.

Well, i most languages you can technically put everything on one line of code, but that will not be good for efficiency or readability. Lua and C++ don’t care about whitespace, outside of word breaks.

Ya, the logic is trivial.

It’s where that data lives, maintaining it, saving it, and getting access to it that’s probably more an issue.

Could be the match making service is maintaining a rolling record of recent match ups, which would probably be an easier implementation because you would get rid of all the “where does the data live” problems. And you only need short term data persistence server side. I guess it would also assume there’s only one match making service a player has access to as well.

But it’s still a bit of work to structure that data and make it work efficiently. Not an overwhelming amount of work or super difficult, but not a couple of lines either.

Good thing you don’t speak for the majority and no one should ever care about the opinion of these people anyway.

1 Like

Also personal experience.

Yes.

1 Like

I see player speculation, not hard evidence.

1 Like

Speculation? No. At the time of the change a lot of players in higher ratings noticed significant queue increase. It also help curtail win trading.

I have 9.5k matches played on just this character. I have more than enough experience to know. Does everything have to be a fight with you? Seriously man.

3 Likes

Says the person so ashamed they hide their main.

It’s speculation but it does make sense. I do recall win trading being talked about a lot around that time.

At any rate, I never meant to say anything about whether it was a good or bad idea. Just that the “couple lines of code” triggered all the PTSD inflicted on me over the years from project managers. Until you get an estimate from someone that actually knows the architecture of a system, you ( and all of us, myself included ) have absolutely NO idea of the level of effort a change will take.

Lol, what would there to be ashamed of? You caring about me posting on an alt? Grow up :troll:

At the end of the day, you speak for you and only you… you don’t know anything about what the majority wants.

1 Like

At the end people dont respect RBG rating and they never have.

You keep acting like you speak for more than just yourself.

1 Like

Not how it would work. Could all be monitored and flagged then it goes in a queue for review by someone and bans can be handed out or other actions. The idea would be for the system to hammer down most of the issue but it would also make the bad actors much easier to spot.

The character data is likely a collection of different MYSQL or similar files. They are linked via unique identifiers. The entirety of the database can be queried for data for anyone who has access to it. Likely each server has a database that is synced across many servers in many locations.

The idea that any data stored about a character would not be available to the queueake algorithm is weird. It absolutely would or it wouldn’t be able to get to things like your lvl data. You would store it in the same place as anything else pertinent to match making.

So it very likely acts like a monolithic server but is actually a collection of servers that are wide spread and sync to each other…but the entirety of the data is accessible by them internally.

As such this data could be stored for say the last 50 people you have played with or last day worth. To some degree there may already be logging of that for data crunching later. It is not uncommon for email servers to have audit data held indefinitely or at the least for several years.

It is entirely possible to do a no rematch solution but not very efficient. Better to have a less specific more generalized fix that doesn’t require as much storage.

So just a counter and a timer that gets reset daily. It would take up about 6 bytes of data without formatting per user. So maybe a few gig of storage to track number of dropped queues.

Fyi I have worked in the computer industry, programming, database, and tech support for 25 years. This one is not that hard especially with tracking in place for things like number of dungeon runs per day already in place

It might be better to add a hidden MMR. Premade raiders and pugs would separate over time.

It would also improve matchmaking for random bgs in general.

(Cross-faction teams would be needed to keep queue times low.)

Arenas are small teams.

For sure. My point was just saying the game does have something like this already. :slight_smile:

1 player or a 100 wouldn’t change much.

2 Likes

Far more matches per day though given how long they take. What’s the point of this comment? Do you think it couldn’t be done, or that more names would really cause an issue?

2 Likes

It’s a really simple thing todo.

People aren’t thinking about the coding side of this. Each match would just have a unique ID associated with it. The game would actively try to avoid overlaps of duplicate ids.

That said, I have 0 hope would do this for bgs. I think addressing people skipping queues or leaving active matches would be healthier for the game. Even if we ignore the issue of premades, leaving has become to common place. With that though, rewards for losses should be increased some. The incentive to stay in some losing bgs simply doesn’t exist.

Ultimately, its the bgs that need to be fixed as well. The complete lack of balancing in BGs like Isle is ridiculous. Hangar, WS, and docks should all be a threat.

3 Likes

Agreed on all counts

2 Likes