Potion vs Elixir master?

I am a transmute master and decided to switch to either potion or elixir specialization. Which specialization is more profitable and also useful in raids? Thanks.

Potions.

Elixirs arent really used as flasks are typically better stats than elixirs.

Potions will be use by EVERYONE.

I am a potion master.

1 Like

Potion Master will offer you much more profitability, casters/pally tank want Destruction Pots, melee /tanks will want haste potions, and tanks will want Ironshield Potions. Also let’s not forget every single Major Protection potion is included for all those fights.

Elixir Masters aren’t bad, but their only claim to fame is they can proc Flasks, but raiders will prob burn through 15-30 different potions before reapplying a single flask.

3 Likes

Im not even flasking now. And next phase has flask tokens from trash

1 flask is like 12 deaths with an elixir

I think they are probably all pointless, so pick whichever.

I’m transmute master and the proc rate is so bad it’s an irrelevant choice sadly

1 Like

potion makes the most sense, haste potions are 10g a pop, getting any kind of proc is alot of extra cash

terocones are the new plagueblooms

The proc rate is ~20%, so that’s 20% extra potions. Pointless, surely.

I have xmuted every day since launch, I have proc’d 3x and never more than a double.

Looks like you are unlucky, not that the alchemy masteries are pointless.

1 Like

I suppose just everyone I know is unlucky too, I mean it’s entirely possible. Small sample size in reality

There’s no contest here. Since potions have to be guzzled/restocked far more often; the demand for potion master is leagues over elixir. In later phases this gap is only going to get bigger because people will start using more of the buff potions, especially haste. Elixir on the other hand will have to compete with vendor sold flasks.

I’d like to add that damn near every craft from classic which can still be of use at 70 is a potion; swiftness, swim speed, free action, living action, restoration. Elixir gets detect invis, underwater breathing, stealth detect… and that’s about it. Again, not much of a contest here.

Personally I have all 3 specs and I do like my elixir master but I would recommend potion if you’re picking 1.

3 Likes

Flask tokens?..Which trash? Where?

Thanks for the tip. I brought 4 60’s with me from classic… 2 of which are now 70. They are all tailors… and all alchemists. (I have transmute undeath to water on all 4 which was super profitable in classic)

So anyway… my first 70 I made a potion master. First run of Ironshield potions for a guy had 20 pots worth of mats turning into 32. Once I even got 5 pots from one set of mats. Insanity.

I was gonna make my 2nd 70 an elixir master… but after reading this thread I think I’ll go transmute. Last night I started the quest for elixir master but haven’t ran BM yet to complete it… so I think I’ll abandon and go a different route.

So… 2 potion masters or 1 potion/1 transmute? Either way… the cheapest option is to go to Cenarion Refuge and get the potions mastery quest (5 super mana pots, 5 super healing pots, 5 dreamless sleep pots, and a book from the 2nd boss in Botanica) then pay 150g to drop it and go pick up transmute mastery…

Saves the cost of 4 primal mights.

Edit:

… and I Just found out I can’t change specializations via abandoning mid quest. I accepted from the alchemy trainer who sent me to the guy in Shatt and then I accepted the elixir master quest in BM. Abandoning that quest shows the quest giver in Shatt still offering it… with the alchemy trainer offering no option to choose one of the other specializations.

Looks like I am SOL and will have to complete this quest. My initial thought was to have all the specs… so I’ll probably still do that and make my 3rd toon transmute… after first choosing potion mastery like previously mentioned.

Yeah after giving it some more thought I’m gonna stick with the original plan and make my 2nd 70 the elixir master to go with the first that is a potion master.

Seems like proccing 2-3 extra flasks would be profitable… and there’s no cooldown on flask making… unlike transmutes.

If I’m thinking wrong someone let me know… LOL

Mark of the Illidari
Item Level 70

"Bears the mark of Illidan. This item can be turned in at the Scryers or Aldor bank in Shattrath City.

You trade em in for flasks for SSC/TK/MH/BT that are idenitcal effects of the crafted ones

Shattrath Flask of Relentless Assault
Item Level 70
Binds when picked up
Requires Level 70
Use: Increases attack power by 120 for 2 hrs. Counts as both a Battle and Guardian elixir. This effect persists through death.
Only active in Tempest Keep, Serpentshrine Cavern, Caverns of Time: Mount Hyjal, Black Temple and the Sunwell Plateau. (3 Sec Cooldown)

you were able to get ~30 per mount hyjal clear, so a whole raid was getting a free flask

1 Like

That’s what I did, potion master main, elixir master alt.

also, I was sort of wrong when I said Elixir masters are only useful for Flask procing, they also can proc Healing Power + Major Mageblood elixirs, which are healer consumes, as well as Major Agi + Major Fort, which some tanks use in T4 content for threat gen.

Also let’s not forget some people will use budget consumes like Fel Strength elixir and whatnot for heroic dungeons and PUG raids.

So still worse than potion master, but still viable in their own right.

1 Like

I’m sure every server is different, but on my server, potions don’t sell very well. I’m potion master, but I make a lot more profit off of selling flasks than I do potions. Haste pots, destruction pots, ironshield pots… I often have to list them several days in a row to get them to sell, whereas I usually sell most of the flasks I post the same day. Flasks move fast.

I think Potions are more profitable because people guzzle them. So they need more. An Elixir can last an hour. I use 5 Mana Pots in that time. Easy.

I’m sitting on a fortune of Haste potions lol. Terocone is a massive pain to find though on any day but early Tue/Wed.

1 Like

if you watch close enough youll see the telporting bots picking up the terocones

On my server 5 agi elixir sell for 25g on average. 5 def elixir sell for 30g on average. Flask of Relentless sell for 80g on average. The elixirs take quite a while to sell sometimes but when you don’t have flask recipes you are left crafting a ton of those waiting for that discovery. I was thinking I chose the wrong mastery when I didn’t have flasks but the day I discovered the relentless I started making money. Depending on how much you can farm you can make a ton of money off of flasks. I was at 1800g the day I got the discovery and 4 days later I had the 5000g for my epic flyer. Don’t get me wrong, I found out that sometimes the flasks take time to sell but when they do you are all set. 2 days after getting my flyer I have 1000g and 20 flasks waiting to be sold. I am done farming for a while.

One time I had flasks posting for 70g each and i was the only person currently selling them and someone bought them all and reposted for 100g each… little did he know I was sitting on 10 more and starting selling em for 99g. They didn’t sell too well til prices dropped back down to around 80-85g but you get where I’m going with this.

Do not transmute master. That is absolutely silly if I understand it correctly. That should at the very least lift the cool down periods for transmutes and maybe get rid of the proc. Or something. Who wants 1 chance to proc every 20 hours when you can be an elix or pot master and do it all day 24/7? What a joke. Educate me if I’m wrong. You could proc 4 primal might and that might equal what I make on a normal day selling flasks.

Good luck making that money man. Take care.

1 Like