Post Flagging Feature

Just curious and this is not a troll thread, it’s a serious question because of how certain things are happening and how the forum rules are a bit vague.

Can folks get in trouble for spam flagging posts simply because they disagree with someone or don’t like how their argument is?

It seems like in certain forums, you almost become “scared” to post since you get a flag or content ignored simply because of the above and the “community” has a variety of regular posters that seem to band together no matter what and flag you hoping to get you silenced. And of course you think of it because it all depends on the eventual interpretation of intent which if you go by the forum rules can be just about “anything”.

I have seen flags now for compliments and articulate posts that simply seem to be weaponized against the poster and it doesn’t seem to make sense other then for some sort of vindictive reasons.

I am all for not allowing rude and against the rules posts but this seems to cut into the whole let’s have a a great discussion and be cool when you have some folks that are seemingly hovering over the flag button ready to pound it at a moment’s notice even if it’s not warranted.

Just thinking out loud and not trying to upset anyone…

7 Likes

It wouldn’t be a problem is they hadn’t removed the “down vote” option…

16 Likes

More worried about the flag post feature. I have seen it on others a lot but even for me have had a bunch of posts flagged, and then the flags end up getting removed by the GM in a lot of cases because it’s obviously not a a big deal or even downright ridiculous…

Just concerned that in some cases, you might end up silenced anyway just was wondering if there is any security against abusing that function for the wrong reasons.

This sort of disclaimer always comes before a flamebait troll post.

Are you personally spam flagging posts with multiple alts? Is there another way for an individual to “spam flag” posts?

If you are, then you can get in trouble for flagging posts on multiple alts.

1 Like

That does seem to happen more often than not.

“I’m planning to do something shady and want to make sure that I won’t be punished for it.”

1 Like

“Just curious. Why are people opposed to pathfinder?”

Unless they send out forum police to interview those the filed the report, they probably aren’t going to punish them. As they have no way of knowing if they were actually offended by something or just abusing the system.

Well I don’t think I did anything shady. LOL. But you can decide :slight_smile:

I"m not sure how it works. I do know in the past I was silenced due to people flagging, so I contested it and they overturned it. That happened probably over a year ago so not sure if they’re doing better now.

I can’t think of any way of “spam flagging” a post that doesn’t go against the spirit of reporting. Why else flag them more than once?

2 Likes

Wasn’t saying YOU were doing anything shady. Just agreeing with the other guy. Because it typically IS the line people use. They want to be a little tool and get away with it.

People who abuse the various systems do get punished. However, what exactly they consider abuse … they haven’t clarified.

I mean, I could see something like me switching to all my alts and flagging you as a DEFINITE abuse. But other cases, flagging a thread is not automatically abuse. And there have been threads that had flags removed that should have been deleted. But we have lazy forum moderators who do a poor job of moderating the forum.

2 Likes

Yeah no worries and I hear you.

Just had a number of posts flagged that were eventually removed recently, so didn’t want this one flagged. LOL. That’s about as shady as I will get I promise :slight_smile:

I guess one of the other challenges if you have 5-6 buddies that are all on one forum and you annoy one guy, you end up at the end of flags from all 6 of his buddies. That’s kind of unfair that the bully mentality can work in forum flagging . Haha :slight_smile:

Could just be people butt hurt. I’ve learned one thing over the years if nothing else. You can have the most positive message but if you present it in a rude manner … people WILL hate you for it.

You can also have an extremely negative message, and if you present it in the right way, people will let it pass.

A lot of flagging is all about Attitude or perceived Attitude.

Though there are a number of topics that many have just grown sick of. That if they’re brought up, nothing positive will result. So they get flagged, no matter the reason.

1 Like

Just a guess, but rioters who haven’t a second thought about setting a police car on fire don’t worry about if mods flag their account for subverting another players’ posts they disagree with.

I hate it. Trolls spam and shutdown posts too often. It’s like antifa for wow. Blizzard needs to deal with it

1 Like

I hear you.

I do think some threads should be closed but my main problem is good posts being flagged for dubious reasons. I had one guy who didn’t like one of my responses in one thread flag me for trolling and it was removed, and then in my very next post that one got flagged also.

I complimented someone’s post for having a lot of details, inclusions so it had nothing to do with the other thread. This was also eventually removed.

Just wish that this whole threat of being silenced like that could be made a bit less of a worry for us and also less work for the GMs…

Oh well. Perhaps they will work on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I generally ignore post that say they aren’t interested, think the post doesn’t belong, or has been covered already. I spend time on the people who are interested in talking. More speech and dialogue is generally good, especially if at first people start from different places.

I don’t mind some disagreement, even harsh, so long as we get to the point we can agree, or agree to disagree. A good conversation for me isn’t convincing people to come over some invisible line of the political spectrum. It’s in having a meaningful talk, however it ends up. Even better when it’s civil and positive.

1 Like

They are supposed to get into trouble for false flagging. I highly doubt anyone has though.

I agree and everyone who contributes should be allowed their opinion without the worry of being flagged by the emotionally challenged dude who has 5-6 buddies ready to flag whomever they don’t like for “whatever” reason.

Though at this point as discussed, not sure how they can really police that.

I think you are right. I see how liberal some of these folks are when flagging. It’s actually quite sad really. Weaponizing the forum control system.

1 Like

In the EU forums, yes.

In the US forums I haven’t heard of anybody being punished for this.