*Possible spoilers / theorycrafting* Sylvanas imprisons Queen Azshara. Recruiting the Lich King

Hopefully the title wasn’t too click bait. So possible spoilers here and a fun theory I want to get out to the world. Open minds here, lets go.

So if you were not aware by now you are about to be. Sylvanas gets a hold of the Spriest’s old Legion Artifact Xal’atath. From what we know about that blade, it is a weapon used as a prison N’zoth used to imprison Xal’atah for being a bad girl or something not really sure why. Anyways, so going into 8.1.5 we have a questline where we free Xal’atath and the blade is now empty, and Sylvanas gets a hold of it.

We know that Queen Ashzara is going to be the baddy in 8.2 and I personally do not think we will kill Queen Ashzara. My theory, is at the end of the Queen Ashzara encounter Sylvanas will trap her after we weaken her. This will allow Sylvanas to control the Naga and control Queen Ashzara, forcing her to serve the Horde if she ever wants a chance to be freed. (long shot I now but fun to think about)

Now obviously, the alliance would not sit on their hands hoping Sylvanas doesn’t use her newly aquired obsurdly dangerous weapon against them. This is where alliance Death knights come in. As a death knight, you know that Bolvar is alive obvsiouly from Legion. How cool would it be to have a quest as a alliance death knight to go either to Jaina or Anduin after the events of sylvanas imprisoning Queen Aszhara and tell them that there is still a Lich king, and his daughter is freaking Talia! Jaina I believe already knows of Bolvar being the Lich king, but this could spark Anduin to convince Talia to go to her father and ask him to join the alliance to help stop Sylvanas and the horde. This would bring the Lich king and the Scourge to the alliance. All of this is far Fetch and I do not think this will happen but perhaps there are bits and pieces of this that might transpire. It would hammer the Horde vs Alliance theme they seem to keep trying to convince us this expac is about. Would also be a cool way to bring the Lich king back into the main story. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Exactly what the Alliance needs. More Deity Level champions.

Bravo.

17 Likes

Hey, if we’re just wildly speculating, I say Red Team should get in on this action;

Rather than being consumed, it’s retconned that Ner’Zhul hid within the consciousness of the Lich King awaiting his moment. And when Bolvar arises from the Frozen Throne, his moment comes and Ner’Zhul breaks free, possessing the corpse of an Orc (Maybe one of the ones Sylvanas raised, freeing its soul, just for you Treng) and joins the Horde.

NZ would be a great return for the Horde.

4 Likes

You know me, and I’m a scourge fan.

The Alliance gets the best parts of Nerzhul, where we get the defeated cast off orc priest.

Fantastic.

1 Like

Nah, we can write what we like if we’re just wishlisting. Let’s say he rips off some of the cool bits of the LK persona as well. Hell, take all of them. The Alliance can have Bolvar back as he was, character wise, but in possession of the throne. The Horde gets the LK. Hail to the king, baby.

Well seeing as in this scenario the horde gets queen Azshara and control the Naga, perhaps fair trade?

Malfurion Stormrage
Tyrande Whisperwind
Jaina Proudmoore
Turalyon Windrunner
Aleria Windrunner
Anduin Wrynn

And that’s just off the top of my head.

3 Likes

In the questline you leave the empty dagger with N’zoth.

If the Alliance delegation gets the Lich King… Then Horde delegation calls dibs on Alexstrasza.

1 Like

Why? She’s equal parts powerless and useless.

4 Likes

Eh, after the events of the Second War, I don’t think Alex would be willing to be a member of the Horde and take sides in the current war.

4 Likes

Did they change the questline? The Alliance leaves the dagger but I thought the Horde takes it to Sylvanas. She has a line where she calls it a torch to light their path similiar to the whispers in Legion.

It is certainly far fetched, but I like it.

On one hand it would be a fitting irony to have the Queen Azshara become enslaved. More so than the “slave to N’zoth” argument, a direct pawn under Sylvanas. On the other hand it seems Azshara wouldn’t have been hyped up this much (Warbringers Short, and patch focus) to become more of a pawn.

In regards to the Lich King, I just still don’t think that’s enough of a reason for him to side the entire Lich King forces with the Alliance. He serves Azeroth as the Jailor of the Damned, him and the forces of undead have become like a force of nature on Azeroth, even though it’s not native. He now has the job of keeping it in check, for all of us.

I want his connection to Taelia to become part of the main story very badly, but I don’t think it will happen via his affection for her. He told Tyrion, “the world of the living can no longer comfort me”, and “Tell them only, the Lich King is dead, and Bolvar Fordragon died with him.” He had to give up that life, he’s incapable of “being a father to her” anymore. If he did still care for her, I imagine keeping her from finding out what her father has become would be the most important thing to him. Who wants to reveal to their little girl they’re the Lich King.

If you are a Horde shadow priest, do you get the option to replace the questline with:

Sylvanus: Hey, can I see that for a minute?

That would involve Ascended Loa’jin and a return of Earthwarder Thrall.

I called dibs on her because she is the last of the Dragon Waifus. She has no ill will towards the current Horde as shown in War Crimes, yet I don’t expect her and Dragonflight to join The Horde at this current time but maybe in the Future.

As for why she would join the Horde? Well, it’s quite possible she may hold a grudge towards Malfurion for being responsible for her sister Ysera death but she also possible that she would forgive him as well.

Also the tension building up between the Red Dragonflight and Lich King.

Were I an orc, I wouldn’t exactly be too jazzed to welcome back the guy who fell for most of Kil’jaeden’s ruses, blew up my planet and probably killed most of my race, and then set in motion most of the events of Frozen Throne and Wrath.

No, Ner’zhul returning to the Horde would be a huge slap in the face. I as a member of the Alliance wouldn’t welcome back Arthas either. In fact, with the current state of the story, less Scourge parallels on both sides would be great.

:woman_shrugging: We keep forgiving Saurfang for genocides. NZ cared enough to try, and repemption is meant to be our shtick.

Why wouldn’t Sylvanas just imprison the Lich King in the blade? Thus giving her the power to raise endless undead and make her own valkyr.

Saurfang has committed as much genocide as most of the orcish race on Azeroth, but not every orc has blown up the planet and fostered the Scourge. The two aren’t comparable.