Possible 8 Servers only for Classic?

Note: This is purely assumption and “educational” guessing…

In China, by a Blizzard executive producer. But since the players in China are no less than those in NA, probably there will be no more than 8 severs in NA. For EU, the situation would be a bit different.

This means even in phase 2 when the layers are no long exist, there should be more players in one server than the numbers in 2005. I am personally glad to see a peak 10000 online in one server, which is similar to private server. Edit: The number 10k is just my guess based on that they said there will be no layer in phase 2 and the assumption they don’t add many servers and don’t enable transfer before phase 2.

link: [Cut since no links, u can find the source on reddit]

starts at 30:00.

Eidt: Exact word from the video (copying from “busyboots”'s comment):

Question: What’s going to happen after WoW: Classic?

Well, we could open Burning Crusade and Lich King or we could keep you all at level 60, we honestly have not made a decision but we could do either of those things. We’re going to be listening to all of you to tell us what you’d like to see happen next.

Question: Not sure, no translation…(i can confirm they were asking about the server numbers.)

We’re going to open initially 8 servers running World of Warcraft Classic. We’ll have PvE, PvP, Role Playing and PvP Role Playing, and we have more servers ready in case you fill them up."

THIS IS A COPY AND PASTE FROM REDDIT. Credits to: [broguang]

sorry if this isnt allowed just delete it CMs? Just discussion.

OT: This isn’t enough. Period.

My take: China most likely has more players, so you can assume NA will most likely have 8 servers. The reasoning behind EU having more than 8 is due to the amount of different languages… Which I believe Blizzard… Announced they’ll have more than just English? No source on this though.

Worst case scenario: They’re only making 8 or very few servers to keep layering in.

Good scenario: “we have more servers ready in case you fill them up.” This is very good, but still questionable. You can already assume launch is going to be an absolute disaster. Will probably be so bad that the servers will cause Yellowstone Super Volcano to erupt monkaS…

Why the hell would you actually just not assume the worst and have decent amounts of servers at launch and just merge them if no one is on them? Lmao. Makes no sense to not do this. Who knows though. I obviously, don’t know how this woud play out. But you can just agree with there should be at least 30+.

It doesn’t actually necessarily mean that. It may mean that Blizzard is vastly underselling the residual playerbase for Classic, and vastly overselling the tourist %.

we have more servers ready in case you fill them up.

Matches with:

we’ll start with lean realmlists and expand as needed, just as the 2004 launch did.

Considering that in 2004, within the first few days, they’d more than doubled their US realms, even if they start with 8 servers, if they’re rapidly filled up, the number of servers may rapidly expand.

Not happening. #IonPromised

Because the actual residual population of Classic, despite all the hype, is a complete unknown, and we are yet to see the accuracy of the models.

1 Like

purely discussion and not doomsday prophesying, we will know on Friday

will feel bad for people that took time off if they do this though

Server population won’t be 10K unlayered.

Layered, possibly/probably 10K with 3 or 4 layers

Only 8 servers? Wow, here is what I hope will be available -

Server #1: PvE, location: Dallas, TX
Server #2: PvP, location: Los Angeles, CA
Server #3: PvP, location: Boston, MA
Server #4: PvP, location: Chicago, IL
Server #5, PvP, location: Denver, CO
Server #6: PvP, location: Atlanta, GA
Server #7: RP, location: Kansas City, MO
Server #8: RP-PvP, location: Seattle, WA

Perfect spread across the country.

yeah but not perfectly spread on type, there’s too many PvE servers

1 Like

I think you may have over estimated the PvP servers, lol.

6 Likes

PvP will be BYYYYYYYYYY FARRRRRRRRRRR the most over populated. This is the most likely distribution.

4 Likes

This isn’t worth worrying about. They made it clear they will start with a very conservative number of servers and be ready to scale it up.

They are not going to guess a large number and start with a ton… They will start very small and add them as needed.

For some reason theres always been a section of PvP players that vastly overstate their numbers in comparison to other server types. It was all over VN boards in 2004 too. Everyone thinking it would be 10 to 1, then launch came and it was legit 50/50.

Streamers and their followers could skew that a bit, but not enough to keep PvE realms down to 1 at launch. Thats just silly.

1 Like

Maybe the servers are more powerful?.. Idk

This is absolutely fantastic! AN RP-PVP SERVER! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Whoa, they weren’t kidding about a lean server list. It almost feels like they don’t want Classic to be huge. It gives me pause, TBH. Still, I’m happy to see rp pvp, and I’m excited that it’s so close, so trying not to let anything bring me down!

1 Like

If it’s only 8, I would wager:

3 PvE (West/Central/East)
3 PvP (West/Central/East)
1 RP (Central)
1 RP-PvP (Central)

Then if the name reservations show more popularity, they spin up more servers accordingly.

3 Likes

So servers aren’t actually physical hardware located somewhere in the world, they’re all on the cloud where Blizzard can just snap their fingers and create new servers instantly?

Yes but cloud is just a network of computers. Same thing at the end.

1 Like

Yeah seeing the announced 8 for China…lean is an over statement.

The only datacenters are located in Chicago and Los Angeles now.

3 Likes

I suspect the plan is to go REALLY low on the number of servers at launch and rely on layering to soak up the excess players.

Then after about 4-6 if the population is still strong they might add servers.

I don’t think Blizz has confidence in the long term viability of Classic, which is a reasonable position to take.

3 Likes

This was not the case in Vanilla where PVE > PVP

2 Likes

Just look at guild recruitment posts. PvP posts outnumber PvE 4 to 1. Same on discord guild recruitment servers. So they need way more PvP servers than PvE.

1 Like