Possible 8 Servers only for Classic?

guild recruitment posts pre-launch are not going to be representative of the post-launch playerbase.

2 Likes

Two things. As Mom pointed out above, Ion very clearly promised that layering is NOT permanent. He is a lawyer by trade so he will certainly embellish “facts” but as the “voice” and lead developer of WoW he is not going to flat out lie. That would be horrible for business.

Two, at this point we really do not know how many servers we need yet. Classic may rock Blizzard’s socks off or it may bomb. I’ve come to accept that temporary layering is the best solution so we don’t have dead servers in a year.

It is August folks. Let’s just all rejoice and be happy that Classic is finally here this month and let the growing pains work themselves out.

4 Likes

Exactly. No idea where they were coming up with those cities. Assuming there are eight which is by no means likely. I’d guess Chi - 1 PVE, 2 PVP and 1 RP, Los Angeles - 2 PVE, 1 PVP, 1 RP PVP. I think though it will be more than 8.

I think it’s all going to be very flexible. When a server reaches a certain population, there will be long queue’s, and people who aren’t already in a guild and tied to a designated server or meeting others on a server (probably the majority of players) will funnel over to try another server until they can get into one… and if that happens to all of them, with a few clicks they can add a few more servers to the menu, repeat until everyone is accommodated.

At least that’s how I imagine it will work. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I know WoW has been popular in China, but does anyone know how Classic is being anticipated over there? It may be that they are less interested than the NA market?

They will be adding servers quickly to accommodate the 10+ millions subs. Classic is about to change the gaming industry.

Funny Minecraft is the #1 game right now and Classic WoW is launching. The movie industry was first to get on the reboot old movies trend. Looks like gaming has now followed.

Very skewed. I like it.

Fixed that for you.

Can anyone confirm this? I have been wondering for a while what the new server tech would allow population wise.

1 Like

No, there shouldn’t.

Classic isn’t going to be packed with players like everyone thinks it will. 8 servers might be a LITTLE low, but 30+? No way. 12 at best to start and see where it goes from there.

The demand for pvp went up because of BFA. :slight_smile:

OP, what is your basis for saying China has as many players as NA? Or maybe the devs think there’s far less demand for Classic in China.

Well there are no Pandas lol…

Probably be some gold farmers though. Maybe that is what they thinking.

There are about 100 more servers for BfA in China than there is in NA. Of course, there’s a possibility that Classic won’t be as popular in China as other regions.

I originally thought they’d release 24-30 realms in NA and a few more than that in EU. I’m expecting under 20 at launch now.

1 Like

Or it could be the nostalgia for vanilla WoW is greater in the west than Asia?
Blizzard could be expecting that the Asian community mindset tend to favor newer stuff than older stuff and hence the market for Classic would be smaller (especially non-free stuff)?

1 Like

This begs the question of at what point do they open the additional servers waiting in the wings?

• On name reservation day when it is apparent servers will be crushed?
  • On release day, pretty much making the prior name reservations largely moot?
  • AFTER release day… and how long after release day?

They will have to have an industrial strength crystal ball in order to determine a) the % of tourists that will leave in short order and b) How many players would be willing to leave the servers they reserved names for to go to new ones that open.

While I am optimistic that there will be a RPPVP server, if they only have 7 others (if it mirrors China’s) then what overflow is going to land on the RPPVP one.

1 Like

They already confirmed one RP-PvP server for NA and one (English) for EU at launch.

Was AFK for a couple hours.
Oh hey, a blue thread
/e rushes off.

I dont understand how you classic fanatics are so illogical.

Tipsout has 54k subs… Most of his videos dont break 50k views.

Esfand doesnt even have 50k subs, yet hes on the biggest esport wow related team in exsistence.

Small example but its obvious, the “miilions” of passionate classic people you think are waiting for classic clearly arent there.

The real numbers blizz is expecting to play classic long term vs your imaginations is great

I don’t know man. I’ve seen people here claiming 10 million subs day 1. If I close my eyes and disregard logical thought I am inclined to believe them