Possibilities of Level Squish, looking at ESO

If WoW level Squish changed the game to be more like ESO system , do you think that would work?

Heres an example what i mean.

Level cap is 60, you can choose any zone to quest in due to scaling. Once you hit 60, all raids are relevant and set pieces are present. “ESO base game sets can compete with most recent dlc sets”.

This is the same for pvp gear.

How would yall feel about this system? It makes use of all the content available to WoW, the biggest con i see is hurting transmog runs where you want to just solo “old content”… now is this aspect a core feeling to the wow community is what we should ask?

1 Like

If I wanted to play a game like eso if play eso.

11 Likes

If you think WoW has never taken concepts from other mmo’s, I have some bad news for you kiddo.

2 Likes

So I posted something similar, with one difference

There has to be an over the level cap above “Old World” content so we can still faceroll over it, that way you can solo/farm it all you like without the worry of it being equally matched all the time. In this case, the maximum any old world content goes up to is level 40 with the max level cap being 60, then 70 for the next expansion.

Sounds awful. I prefer a progression based MMO.

9 Likes

ESO’s one world scaling is one of the things I don’t like about it.

There needs to be progression.

3 Likes

So your suggestion is to permanently end gear progression?

That’s quite literally the reason GW2 isn’t worth playing for more than a couple weeks once every couple years.

2 Likes

Idk what effect it would have on WoW. but I do think that a stat squish / level squish wouldn’t be necessary to do world wide content scaling.

If it’s copying ESO, no, not really. Only kind of for PvP. But in ESO sets, and classes undergo tuning and balancing regularly so the meta changes if that makes sense. The gear balance / using random old sets in random combinations really gets gritty there. Like there’s only so many viable sets of gear. “Every set is viable” is true, but there’s still obviously tested and true BiS combinations or strategies.

But for PvE, the current tier stuff I believe usually trounces old sets. Like looking up BIS Stam dps gear, it’s from the Trial from the most recent expansion. Trial gear also has set bonus’ that strictly apply to PvE. Ex: “Increases all damage of y while inside a Trial.” So it doesn’t interfere with PvP.

So there’s still a “Get the most recent stuff” goal in PvE. I don’t know enough about ESO’s raid scene or wow’s raid scene to say which is doing better. I would ASSUME that WoW’s raids are better and of higher quality.

They disabled old sets even if you’re at level.

3 Likes

It goes without saying that this would have to be reverted in OP’s suggestion. Personally I hate legacy gear being disabled. Wish It wasn’t. Not fun to do cata timewalking and not have my daggers proc.

A lot of the tier bonuses are for skills/abilities/specs that no longer exist. They’d have to go back and redo a lot of the sets. I just don’t see that happening. Although, with a certain mix of Vanilla/TBC/wrath tiers could be an ungodly op’d BM evil laugh

IMO, A change like this, the level squish, isn’t something you drop 15 years into a title without destroying everything. You’d have to rewrite 99.9999% of the game.

Know that feeling all too well.

I had timewalking sets for most of my characters above 100. 2 set of this, 4 set of that, these trinkets, last stage epic version of legendary ring/ICC ring/SSO neck, dragonwrath/Val’anyr, gemmed/enchanted to perfection, and a true god of walking time…

1 Like

Well, I think OP’s suggestion is pretty far fetched. What’s more exciting is the idea of them actually doing that. Can you imagine the diversity of choice if we could equip some of those sets?

And, to keep in mind. The only way this would ever be balanced would be is if you had to go and farm them again post update.

So having to raid BT again for real to get slayers.

That would be super dope.

I don’t think they need to do a level squish to do world scaling. I’d prefer if they didn’t.

At this point class design could use a 99.99% rewrite IMO. But im so tired of them doing it every other expansion at the same time.

I approve of this idea. The game can’t get any worse and ESO’s already trash. Maybe if we compress the trash just enough it’ll make a diamond.

Eso is really fun. Maybe it’s not your cup of tea though.

ESO is enjoyable because of the heavy story focus, voiced quests, lovely environments ect.

It is most certainly not enjoyable in the player progression, gearing and raid/trial area.

Oh and the gatcha mount crates, thats the awful area.

I don’t understand how you could find it enjoyable.

And I probably can’t explain it to you. It’s not for everyone for sure.

On the contrary thats one of the most interesting parts for me. Freedom of choice is really important to me. So the idea of being able to figure out a build to play my rogue like a restoration druid is really fun to me. Which is partly enabled by their diverse selection of viable gear, to accent the broad selection of skills, spells, and abilities.

The most frustrating part of ESO is the CP system. But that doesn’t bother me since I mostly PvP in CP-Off modes. I can hold my own in CP brackets too, but only when I play with friends so I can heal. Much easier to make a difference as a low CP healer than a Low CP dps. Well, these days my CP is high enough i’m just reflecting on my experiences first getting into the game.

Look at that. Someone disagreed so instead of engaging intelligently and having a conversation you to right to belittling. So typical.

I dk what ESO has to make a comment on,but other than that.I’m not going to repeat the same in here about the subject when I just did in two threads of the same.

I think it would be terrible. Almost any other game system they bring into WoW makes the game worse not better.

1 Like