Possibilities of Level Squish, looking at ESO

Wait I’m confused, what did you do? lol, all you said was “if i wanted a game like ESO id play ESO”, that doesn’t give any insight as to why the system wouldn’t work in wow, It just shows your thoughts. Personally I think the system of making old content relevant on the side of raids would do a lot since people could choose to raid their favorite raids and still have a chance to get gear that feels strong

1 Like

The flip side is infinite gear progression with AP that resets every patch which is just as unsatisfying.

I think the decision has already been made. There will be a level squish.

It will cost alot of other things due to the scale of implementation and it won’t suddenly make old content viable. Assuming cap is 60, it just means there will be more choice on which zones. Anything beyond that is wishful thinking.

It is funny that you talk about ESO and a squish considering ESO has nearly 1000 levels.

3 Likes

No thanks, not really feeling that idea. I like gaining levels, I just want the story to be engaging and the levels to mean something.

1 Like

It has a hard cap though.

Do non-raiders ever get to use the old raids?

One practical problem will be that the content will be spread so thin that it will be difficult to get groups for one of those hundred raids. Also people will probably find the easiest one to farm, and will neglect the rest.

Not saying you’re wrong, but could it be that the implementation of the systems isn’t done correctly for WoW and not so much that the system itself is flawed?

Yeah in eso we see this isn’t true, since different content offers different sets

Lol so does WoW. ESO has 50 levels and now like 800 veteran ranks,

Heart of azeroth has a hard cap?

My first thought, when they introduced scaling, was that we could run old raids and get those iconic pieces at today’s item level. I’d LOVE to go back and get, for example, a Deathbringers Will at 400 item level. Or the old vanilla ZG trinkets. Those were fun. I think “timewalking” for heroic raid gear from expansions past could have some real potential.

Yes, but we are not talking about HoA.

1 Like

If ESO had WoW combat mechanics id be playing it right now for sure. WoW feels more like a collections game today than a rpg. I would gladly sacrifice some of the collecting systems to the old gods to bring back some rpg elements.

1 Like

It works in ESO because they have a very immersive and engaging questing and leveling system, whereas WoW has a bunch of quests that want to you retrieve some bear meat and you stop earning most of your talents and abilities before halfway to max level.

1 Like

Other mmorpgs put more emphasis on “a very immersive and engaging questing and leveling system” because they don’t devote as much time and resources to end game like raiding or battlegrounds. Players go into ESO knowing there won’t be a ICC- or ToT-like raid so they are fine with scaled questing and leveling and Cyrodil for pvp. It’s mainly about expectations.

If Blizzard decided to de-emphasize raiding (like they apparently have with battlegrounds), then WoW would need better resources devoted to questing and leveling systems to compete with ESO and FFXIV.

But I don’t think Blizzard would give up the raid emphasis unless the playerbase interest in raiding shrank much more.

It’s weird this happens and then Blizzard turns around and trivializes both normal and heroic difficulty by handing out welfare gear equal to heroic raiding gear ilvls for killing crabs and shooting seagulls.

My hunch is that the numbers of raiders (as defined as players who identified themselves raiders in vanilla through WotLK) are shrinking. If it wasn’t for LFR and to a certain extent normal, mythic difficulty raids wouldn’t exist. There would be a limited number of normal to heroic equivalent difficulty, one-size-fits-all raid instances. Channeling beancounter mentality. lol

That sounds entirely too complicated for the current dev team to implement…they can’t walk and chew bubble gum as it is.

2 Likes