Poll: Essences on alts

Vote first before reading please:
https://www.strawpoll.me/18656873

Don’t want to skew the results.

Thanks!

I’ve been pretty unhappy with how alts have been handled this expansion, despite that however up until the end of BoD my guild has had a healthy share of alts for most raiders in the guild. We had a full guild alt mythic run going towards the end of BoD.

However, will the release of 8.2, despite how enjoyable I’ve found the raid, the new zones and essences I’ve had zero motivation to do work on any alts - Alot of my guild is the same, with about 2 of the raiders working on them.

Coming on the forums/reddit I thought I would see an overwhelming amount of support for a catchup for essences, or account wide essences but from I’ve seen that hasn’t been the case. I’d like to see with a poll what people want.

I’m interested to see If I’m in the minority or there are people following the forums that don’t post as aggressively as others.

Edit: I’m not making this to flame or say your opinion is wrong… I’m just curious to see who wants what.

13 Likes

I agree i have felt zero motivation to do the new zones and essences on my alts

Too boring and time consuming for no reason

23 Likes

It sucks because I would love to get my shaman geared up and play around with it. Unfortunately despite how easy it is level to max or get gear; Both the neck hurdle and the essence grind just really shoot me down.

I would 100% play more of WoW if essences were account bound, but i understand people might enjoy doing the grind on alts which is why i was curious who else is in the similar boat to me.

3 Likes

I would still say you are informing your survey, thereby possibly skewing the results.

Though the thread title is very neutral.

As to the actual topic, agreed. Doing the harder level 3’s right now and it’s a pain.

For some reason people want alts as powerful as mains

Which makes no sense whatsoever

What’s the point of playing the game if everyone never gets stronger

7 Likes

I can see that, however I don’t think anyone is going to change their mind after reading the first text. Maybe i’ll put the poll first.

And this is way retail is absolute s**t. People too lazy and wanting free stuff.

3 Likes

I play classic and I’ve played WoW since Vanilla.

You can check my achievements out if you don’t believe me. It’s not about wanting “free stuff”. It’s about not doing content I don’t enjoy to start being able to enjoy my character when i’ve already done the unenjoyable content once already.

6 Likes

I just get my alts the basic 3: Crucible of Flame, Memory of Lucid Dream, and whatever the Ankoans give out. Most don’t even get to rank 2 on any of them either as I don’t want to repeat those quests or do the bodyguard daily quests on all my alts, its too much.

2 Likes

And this is why everyone hates Classic players, people like you that are constantly trashing Retail and its players

2 Likes

And in classic they don’t have nearly the amount of rep locked and soulbound items/recipes/etc to make alting easier. then for giggles…we make this retail change to classic and see what happens. Many like their twinks there, it not be 100% well received I’d gather.

Classic is young still. lets talk about this 6 months later when for alt making those who stay will be twinking like fiends on alts.

Main got the good stuff not needed, alt gets its mailed to them and the alt’s life just got much easier.

Which is fine. I prefer it this way. Suffer the hard way on the main to have the alt(s) cruise. Retail in later expacs removed this beyond crap greens really. they at least give the greens BOE so I guess we should be grateful for this.

I’ve heard a lot of people say they think account bound essences will come in 8.3.

This tier is already over, the hall of fame is already filled. Class swapping isn’t going to help any guild get famed slayer at this point.

8.3 is simply too late in my eyes.

1 Like

At that point we are looking at a 8.3.5 wrap up (this all dies anyway then), pre-release updates and 9.0.

Basically unless a raid or death type…its like whatever at this point. Its gonna die why try hard lol.

What scares me is we have potentially 3-4 months of 8.2.5… for me this content looks fun but nothing that will keep me logging in.

I think the main issue here isnt necessarily the grind for the essences, its the method of getting them.

Example,

I want to level a rogue for mythic plus and to do alt raids;
BIS ESSENCES require - 50k honor, world pvp quests and exalted with rustbolt.

Notice raiding or M+ dont give me what im working towards. These 3 essences will literally take 100 hours of playtime in aspects of the game i dont really enjoy.

Example 2,
I want to play a holy pally for arena,
BIS ESSENCES require - Operation mechagon dungeon, battlefield training and neck level 65

Again, notice how none of these actually apply to the gameplay im looking at doing on that character?

I did the grind on my main to get all of the rank 3/4 essences, and it wasnt ‘fun’, it was rewarding but it took far too much time.

Arguing from a classic viewpoint doesnt apply here, because unlike classic, being the strongest character you can be actually matters in BFA. You dont even need to be max level to do end game content in classic, but the difference between a single rank 2 or 3 essence actually matters so much in retail.

I am looking for ways to get essences organically from playing the game. Im all for having wow goals and the thought of some of these grinds really make me not want to play.

In summary, i dont want them all for free, but im not going to play the game if im forced to run battlegrounds for 100 hours again just to be competitive in mythic plus.

Please fix

3 Likes

That’s a good point.

Not that it’s relevant to me because I’d be raiding anyway. But if leveled a char up and had to spam Palace for the Essence - ontop of it being time gated it means I wouldnt have what I needed for 3? 4weeks?

If i was leveling the character just to do m+ that isn’t very fun.

1 Like

Thats a very good point.

In classic, the rep grinds werent time gated. You could sit there for 10 hours and smash them out.

In retail, to get anhkoan exalted, id have to log on for 45 mins every day for 3 weeks.

1 Like

I guess they could unlock them for all up to rank 3, but rank 4 has to be earned on the character you want to use it on.

2 Likes

I think most people would be really happy with that considering rank 4 is just cosmetic.

4 Likes

I agree with this at base, but the problem is they did it the wrong way.
I think spells/abilities shouldn’t be in gear at all, but on trees. I think essences are forms of abilities, and really shouldnt be too hard to get a hold of…
Gear though, they f’d up making that so easy to acquire. I’d be perfectly fine working a bit harder towards gear for alts, more than essences, especially with how you have to obtain some.

This whole xpac and system is just a complete mess.

2 Likes