Poll: Choosing a Covenant

Which one rewards an updated cosmetic model of the First Mates’ Hat?

But i guess that’s the “player agency” players were askingfor…

Based on that, necrolord, but sadly that’s not the only consideration I have to make when picking a covenant. Just here to reiterate, covenant choice should not affect gameplay in any way.

4 Likes

Only, it’s not. And we all know it’s not.

Being asked to ignore the plot or to ignore gameplay is an absurd choice that should never have made it off the development drafting table.

How did someone NOT see that and go “Wait no that’s a horrible idea!”?

Some of the dev’s did.

I believe Ion has already stated that there’s strong differences of opinion within the team this.

Why they opted for the more punishing approach to players is what baffles me - especially after BfA and azerite gear/reforging costs following the beautiful tier set bonus system of Legion.

What amazes me is that in bfa they did this.

Launched with no azerite vendor and deliberately very little azerite gear around then a patch later added the currency and the vendor after people told them it needed to be there since pre launch.

Added essences and were told they should be account wide or easy to get on alts from before 8.2 launched. Said they would never make them account wide and then added the currency and vendor essentially making them account wide.

Added corruption and were told since before 8.3 launch that it should be on a vendor and said no we won’t have a vendor before adding a vendor like 5 months later.

What makes them think covenants will be any different?

I think it’s actually part of their strategy.

They release new content with obvious gaps in QoL - which they can then fill once they see subs dropping over the life of the expansion to try and get people to come back to the game.

It’s been happening all of BfA and even started happening back in Legion.

As much as I hate Asmongold - he did a solid video explaining how this strategy is a huge disrespect for people’s time.

I won’t be hanging around for them to fix a broken game next time. I have already canceled my sub and have enough gold to get me through till near the end of the year.

If they want my $ they will have to earn them.

2 Likes

I will be making my own covenant. The covenant of the Cookie. Special trait summon cookies.

Join today!

Grumbles is that you?

Grumbles will most likely join.

Agreed. I’ve done the same and haven’t even bought Shadowlands.

If the announce that covenants will be swappable - I’ll buy the expansion. But otherwise, that’s the worse of the 3 strikes it has against it, and I’m out.

I’d rather play another game that actually respects their customers time.

2 Likes

Yea. Covenants and torgast will be the 2 biggest things in the expac. Torgast looks fun for a teir but I honestly have my doubts about its longevity which would be fine if it wasn’t what they are trying to build the whole expac around.

I remember when visions were fun too rather than the weekly chore they are now. Idk if I would call it a hit or a miss yet tbh but I would certainly call covenants as they are now a miss.

Imo that’s why they are disabled in dungeons on alpha.
I have no desire to play a game with super cool buttons that I can’t push in the content that matters so no thanks on that one too.

Kyrian look dope. I get a Roman vibe from them.

Well, I guess in contrast to everyone else, I am going to enjoy having a locked in ability for my Covenant, designed around all of the systems within it. I will enjoy it not being yet another talent row bullhocky I will constantly have to swap in and out of and micromanage to get max DPS for whatever my current spec is. Makes it one less thing I have to worry about in the game so I can get back to actually playing.

Nothing is stopping you from not changing your talents. You could happily pick some and use them for the whole expac if you wanted to.

5 Likes

I’m not saying it’s the correct decision, but Blizzard obviously designed this system with the casual player in mind. Regardless of if people think that’s the right choice is up for debate, and I’m not sure which side I’m on until I play with said system.

But the casual playerbase, including many people I know who are casuals, are very excited for the covenants–yes even the abilities.

On what way would it be worse for the casual players if they were swappable?

That’s what I don’t understand. How is it benefitting them by it being not swappable?

2 Likes

No, I couldn’t. Because once the possibility of such a thing exists, others will demand I take full advantage of it, in order to make up for other shortcomings. So it will come down to either playing the way I want, and maybe pissing off some friends, or switching things around, resulting in me being miserable.

Like, even Method is on record wanting the abilities to remain locked to the Covenant. Because screw having another thing on the spreadsheet to micromanage.