Policy Update for Input Broadcasting Software

Blizzard taking out the trash is a much welcomed change.

1 Like

Except that they explicitly stated that multiboxing is not against the terms of service. Having two accounts open isn’t multiboxing, controlling them both is.

Nope, sorry, it isn’t. That’s just your opinion. And the wonderful thing about opinions is that they don’t have to be factually accurate.

For the sake of clarity, here are the facts (again) as laid out by Blizzard, who have the sole authority to determine what does and doesn’t constitute cheating in WoW:

Multiboxing, or playing multiple World of Warcraft accounts at once, is not a violation of our Terms of Use. Please note, however, that use of input broadcasting software may result in account penalties.

2 Likes

I mean…Blizzard literally, explicity, in no uncertain terms said it isn’t.
They said software input broadcasting is.
You also appear to claim your list of how multiboxing is “fun” is exhaustive but I don’t see ‘attempting dungeons for no gain’ on there. Also don’t see ‘creating fun sets of toys and novelty items to put on shows’ but I assure you those are both things and surprisingly more time consuming then you might think. Heck, even just getting your setup to function in a way that feels perfect is it’s own reward and involves spending hours and hours of getting nothing accomplished in the game.

If you alt-tab between character then this is fine, you are basically playing both characters. When you send one keystroke to multiple computers you are playing one character and botting the others.

You weren’t around for “There won’t be anymore flying in wow”?

1 Like

Hey blizzard, can we get a ETA on when prices will go up for membership and the blizzard store items. you did just cut your major income down by half.

1 Like

lol do you really think half of WoW’s revenue comes from multiboxers? that’s kinda delusional my man.

6 Likes

They have the numbers on multiboxing statistics and they still made the decision, I don’t think there’s any argument to be had on that front.

3 Likes

[botting] is tantamount to cheating, plain and simple.

After reading your follow up, I realized you probably just made a typo, but I fixed it for you. :wink:

1 Like

it wont be right away but do give it time and the prices will go up.

My hope is that Blizz adds more xmog to the shop :smiley:

Are you listening @Blizzard?!

Add more transmog to the shop!

And not just sets, add individual pieces so players can buy the parts they want.

right because you are a asmongold follower and since he says that boxers are all bots it has to be true. have you ever tried to multi-box cause i have and let me tell you. its not cheap.

2 Likes

… …what?

Yes, sending one keystroke to multiple characters is is playing one character and botting the rest. See… I knew you would understand eventually.

I think the big terminology storm going on here boils down to this:

Previously, Blizzard allowed one key press to give one input PER ACCOUNT. After the policy change, Blizzard (implicitly) allows one key press to give one input PERIOD. (this is why the hardware argument keeps coming up, because if you press “1” on two keyboards with two fingers, you’re making two presses and allowed two inputs, if you find clever ways to physically press multiple buttons simultaneously, you are allowed multiple inputs).

2 Likes

Except that the policy has and still is, that botting and broadcasting are separate cases. The policy change is simply that they’ve decided to disallow broadcasting. Otherwise they’d just say “broadcasting is considered botting” or “our definition of botting has been expanded to include any software which creates more than one WoW client input per key press (i.e. broadcasting)”

To help you understand: botting generally falls under a category of breaking 1-to-1 input. You press a ‘go’ key and your character essentially presses left-right-forward-left-etc etc etc - mouse click on herb- move- etc etc all with a single press. I assume they also break ToS with some sort of automatic detection of nodes and whatnot, but a rudimentary bot could simply have a mapped path that goes to every possible node spawn and clicks on it and it would do all that with a single key press.

Just to be clear, I have no issue with you being happy about the change or being of the opinion that it makes the game better. Neither you nor I have the data to know that (you can speak anecdotally about your personal experiences, of course). We can say that it likely makes the game more profitable or it will prevent loss of revenue (if shadowlands was seen as an expansion that required multiboxxing so you could have multiple covenants that would be bad news for sales) otherwise Blizzard probably would not have changed the policy.
My issue is with false or misinformed discourse that ultimately leads to a game nobody on either side wants to play. Just as easily as you can get a change you like now, you can have a change you hate driven by a fanatical base tomorrow. If you keep things civil you’ll stand a better chance of arguing your point when it matters to you.

3 Likes

A decade too late but nevertheless a welcome decision.

5 Likes

The disappointing factor is they did this AFTER releasing the Shadowlands expansion on sale. I bought in to 6 additional accounts and upgraded a 7th just to multibox, which is now wasted because it’s impossible to really run WITHOUT input broadcasting. And as someone who most guilds won’t keep around since I play sporadically, the only way to achieve certain guild achievements is to multi-box. So they pocket my money, and then spit in my eye.

I get why most people don’t like them, because people are bot farming / supposedly ruining the economy. The reality is that ship sailed over a decade ago? And again when they started selling tokens? So what other than ruining my fun because of some farmer that’s existed since first retail are you actually achieving?

Even before this I let a majority of my accounts lapse because I don’t have the time to enjoy them now, but now they’ll never be re-opened or subbed. So an easy $600+ down the drain and $15x7x12 or ~$1,260 a year Blizzard won’t be getting in sub revenue. Just seems stupid to me, but whatever.

2 Likes

I, legit, just buy tokens and sell them. Each month I have a dedicated $75 budget on anything video game (excluding recurring subs).

Which…may actually be the true reason for this change. If people were able to earn enough gold to easily cover the subs with tokens. Perhaps they are seeing a dip in Token purchases (for cash), and are trying to shift Token Users back to dollar-backed sub time.

2 Likes