Plunderstorm is Awful and Frustrating

Chiming in on my personal experience with the new mode.
I’ll admit I’ve never, ever been a battle royale fan, and I haven’t even enjoyed WoW PvP in many years. But the rewards offered here were too tempting to avoid.

So far, I haven’t survived a single fight with another actual person. They always seem to outlevel and outpower me, even -seconds- into the match. Fire tornados, one shot abilities, you name it. I’m nothing but cannon fodder in their way to victory.

The entire system of fighting mobs, picking up loot and obtaining spells is just haphazard and random; sometimes you get lucky and only one mob decides to make you into lunch, sometimes it’s a whole pack. Sometimes you find a useful ability, sometimes–more often–not.

One time, I made a giant gold elemental angry and it chased me halfway across the map–there’s no losing aggro from something like that! (And um… why do things like that exist in a battle royale? Honest question. Are we supposed to be able to power up enough to take them on solo, because anything that requires multiple players to fight seems laughable given the entire premise of the mode…)

“Get good,” someone will say. Sure, but I’m old and cranky and slow and haven’t honed my skills through Fortnite or other battle royales. I’m lucky if I don’t get ganked by the wildlife before some player who picked up firestorm and got to level 5 as soon as the game started finds me and turns me into an object lesson.

Sorry, Blizzard, but this is one mode I will continue to intensely dislike, even as I struggle to get through it for the rewards. Assuming I can stick with the grind that long.

The only redeeming feature is being able to leave as soon as you die and find a new game.

579 Likes

My favourite part is how the degenerates have already meta’d out where and which early powers to get to immediately wipe out 50% of the players within the first 30 seconds of a match.

Yes. Much fun this is. :expressionless:

241 Likes

They only added pets and mounts because they needed cannon fodder for the battle royalers to kill to make numbers look good. Only reason the grind is such a slog is to keep said cannon fodder playing as long as possible.

I’ve played 7 games, sometimes getting almost 1K plunder, and I’m STILL at a meesly rank 2.4.

194 Likes

I am not seeing the crossover between wow players and battle royal fans. There is probably very few. People who like battle royals are not going to get a wow sub to play it either.

109 Likes

yea its garbage, i’ill be doing real battlegrounds like arathi basin instead. complety skiping this ‘‘event’’ its not worth it even for a collector like me

105 Likes

this is how I feel about it. I’m an avid pet collector, so I do in fact feel forced to do this content.

but I hate it, it’s not fun getting farmed. I’m never going to be good at this style of game - nor do I aspire to be - but I’ve got to play it to get the pets.

this is a big ree.

145 Likes

yea this game mode is terrible. ashame were forced to do it for the rewards

96 Likes

Tried it, won’t be going back. Forget the pets, I can’t stand change and this was a bit much.

59 Likes

Battle Royale is as degen as any game mode comes though. Expecting less from WoW players was naive.

Apparently the solo meta appears to be:

Avoid players as much as possible.

Just loot plunder.

Fighting players is a waste of plunder looting time.

So run, loot, and die as fast as you can, then join another game.

Super fun I’m sure everyone is playing it just for the gameplay and nothing else. :roll_eyes:

101 Likes

Good, let people feel powerful and have fun

Thats the problem.

Same vibe, unfortunately, as the pirate mog is really nice.

28 Likes

This makes so much sense. I’m on game five and about to give up… I’d like the little pets but this is like giving myself a bikini wax with a cheese grater.

:cookie:

106 Likes

its not worth it after playing it. its just a pirate set which i have my own better looking one and the parrot can be obtained from the pirate dungeon from bfa

17 Likes

I hate PVP, but I feel forced to do it for rewards as well.

I’d have much preferred Island Expeditions style content instead.

85 Likes

I understand how you feel because I feel the same regards the pirate transmog but I made peace with myself about this one, cant do it, will not kill the fun out of this game grinding a derivate BR from it.

23 Likes

Yeah I’m not going to punish myself for things I don’t really want for the sake of giving Blizz’s BR some cannon fodder to keep queue times short.

35 Likes

This game mode is complete trash. What a waste of dev time. Just make WoW better. ffs After trying this it’s just so frustrating and unfun.

61 Likes
Its a poorly done game mode on a terribly small map. Everyone flies in from a slightly different spot. So you either dive bomb and hope for the best otherwise you just end up ontop of 10 other peeps who have already had more then enough to to acquire rank 3 atks. Just imagine playing Warzone and bein dropped inot a small section of Old Town, thats basically this in a nutshell.

Rep is awful an slow, based on plunder which is so random it isnt fun and even when you get a ton of it, it never feels like your rep actually goes anywhere. Math wise its a nightmare when you break down your 5 game avg and see how long it will take to get to Max Rep…

50 Likes

I heard someone say that the devs said it would take 5 or 6 runs to level one renown, for me that tracks. Btw I’m terrible at this but I’m having fun.

6 Likes

Gave it a try. Killed 30-60 seconds after landing is not my idea of a fun game. At least this is solely cosmetic, so the PVP/BR guys can feel uber, but does not affect World of Warcraft.

41 Likes