Please scale Naxx so its hard

Yeah, I’m seeing a bunch of servers with about 50 guilds listed as raiding guilds. I don’t know how accurate these pages are either, considering the fact my old guild “Why Tempt Fate” from Maelstrom isn’t even listed on any progression page from TBC or WoTLK. We were server or Alliance first for almost everything from TBC to Ulduar.

Here’s Kel’thuzad:

https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Server:Kel%27Thuzad_US/Guild_Progression

48 raiding guilds listed there. I don’t know where you and others pull this 10x number from but it’s obviously not even close. Far more people are raiding now than in Vanilla; the server sizes right now are probably a lot closer than you think.

Kel’Thuzad was one of the biggest vanilla servers.

There’s 203 guilds on my server that have killed Ragnaros.

The server sizes themselves are less relevant to how many world buffs are available than the number of people raiding. There’s also a huge pug scene that didn’t really exist the same way in 2006.

That’s the thing. the average Classic player is in their 30s, making them … pimply faced teens when Vanilla came out. Of course they weren’t going to be very good - despite it being a casual game. The core audience back then, well … it was us. Some people did know how to play. The age demographic for Vanilla was also far more varied.

Fast forward 15 years and being out of WoW as a whole, quitting early TBC and having come back for a few months for one of the xpacs, I would have never have guessed that people would be coordinating everything via discord, dropping world buff schedules, etc. But ouch.

1 Like

Yeah I dunno. I guess my point being that if the health pools were inflated enough, maybe something something could. But, just a thought. I mean, we all know Naxx is going to get steam rolled by the more serious guilds. But, at least make it somewhat more than an after thought for your average guild. Give the boss a chance to do some mechanics here and there.

1 Like

Well they already nerfed Naxx indirectly by buffing hunter dps.

1 Like

I don’t know how much bigger but they’re definitely bigger:

Pre-launch - “A Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006.”

That post was made before Classic even launched when servers were all planned to have multiple full layers. If you use a census addon and scan some of the lower pop Medium servers, some of those servers don’t even break 2,000 concurrent online players at prime-time on Tuesday.

Things change.

1 Like

That didnt work so well for Wrath Naxx :wink:

You could play the game without addons to make it more difficult.

Self impose your own challenges if you need something more. Its not others responsibility to shoulder more to benefit yourself OP

Also did people legitimately think classic would ever be a challenge? 15 years we’ve had to look over this content that falls in the difficulty spectrum somewhere between LFR and normal raiding. If you expected a challenge and arent getting it id suggest finding a new game, because classic isnt that.

4 Likes

What happened to no changes? Now it’s some changes or an overhaul? Is it the realization that the community is the issue and not blizzard for once? That the community is the ones that are “disconnected”?

Basing that, I am NOT going to touch TBC, no matter HOW MUCH I want too, I wont. Only because of how the player base is playing classic. Rushing and min/max.

Average guilds will still see Anub’s Locust Swarm and Noth’s balcony teleport and so forth. My Paladin’s alt guild has to consistently deal with Ouro’s forced submerge because they don’t do enough DPS to push him into his Enrage before then, and they take 3 weakness phases to kill C’thun, so they will absolutely have to deal with mechanics.

My point is that the mechanics themselves are pretty basic and at worst take a few attempts to get the few key folks prepped to do the work, if that even exists for the fight. People will likely wipe more on Anub than Grand Widow if they’re having to deal with multiple Locust Swarm transitions.

2 Likes

No one will farm naxx though, that’s part of the problem with it being easy. As soon as KT is dead a time or two that will be it, everyone will be in TBC mode. I want my t3! I want to have a challenge. I want to continue to gel the guild ahead of TBC…

Most mechanics are basic by today’s standards, but for the little that classes had to deal with those mechanics, I think they’ll present quite a challenge for a large amount of guilds. It’s nothing like retail where every dps spec has boatloads of stamina, numerous defensive/mobility CDs, and endless self-healing/absorbs to brute force their way through. Or where every boss is indefinitely tauntable at range, or where battle rezzes are readily available on short cooldowns, or where threat doesn’t matter, etc.

It’s a perspective to pay mind to when looking at Naxx mechanics vs modern ones.

That said, I do wish Noth had more HP now that I’ve checked it. 90 seconds to burn through ~1.67m HP is more than generous.

people back in 2006 realized that not all naxx bosses were tuned similarly, there were 6-7 bosses most groups considered “easy”. I would place bosses like Anub, Maexxna, Grobbulus, Razuvious, Gothik, Noth, and Heigan on the upper end of BWL difficulty (think week 1-2 Firemaw).

The challenge in Naxx, back in 2006 and on private servers, was the length of the instance. 15 bosses. Most classes or roles have a fight that challenges them similarly to a tank positioning Firemaw and maintaining that position. Mages kiting on Gluth. Priests positioning the deathknight understudy correctly. Melee dps being spatially aware on KT. Basically, there are ample opportunities for the raid to wipe, and run-backs in Naxx can be long because of trash skips or respawns. Its very easy to lose a lot of time, very quickly, in Naxx. and I think this will be the major challenge for guilds, can you convince your 40man roster to devote 4 hours or more to the instance per week (until you get some experience and improve your clear time).

I think many guilds will experience a roadblock at 9-10 bosses cleared per reset, for the first couple of resets. And some guilds will lose players and dissolve from that perceived stalling out of progress.

1 Like

Yes. I really wish people would stop asking for changes so I could stop saying it.

u dont have to. this job is self appointed… and they are still making changes…

Go play EQ on p99 servers. Raid plane of sky. 20 year old content and still takes most top guilds 6+ hours and multiple wipes to clear it.

tbc hasn’t even been announced… also my guild wants to get a few atiesh… those take time and lots of farming

Only 1-2% got to see Naxx, most of the player seen it in Wrath (which ain’t exactly the same). The player base is more knowledgeable but I expect to see posts about how impossible some of the Naxx bosses are.