Please return survival back to ranged or give hunters a 4th spec

Heh, too true.

A choice Blizzard made, not the players. My point remains that asking for anything someone else enjoys to be annihilated is bad juju. Specs included.

This wouldn’t work with the current way talents are done. Everything about survival is a ranged ability right now, other than Mongoose Bite and Carve. You can do everything else from range. Talents that you’re speaking of would require not only an allowance in weapon change but also a fundamental rework of every single ability in the kit to make it use the bow more often.

Consider this, how many abilities does Survival use its melee weapon for right now? Mongoose Bite, Carve, and Muzzle. That’s it. You really think Blizzard is gonna do your suggestion and rework every single ability in the kit just to make three abilities be capable of being used with a bow, changed in name and function, and all that? It’s not a win, win, it’s an over abundance of work for zero payoff.

A fourth spec is the only way everybody wins.

1 Like

They pretty much did with outlaw. you can do an entire rotation from range.
not amazing dps, but a rotation.

I actually think Beast Master should be the melee spec.

Exactly.

I’ve said it before but yeah, I very much get why some players want a melee spec for the hunter class. No matter how defined the past elements we had that included melee-combat were, I get why people would want that option for the class. And, it just so happens that, despite the lack of defined fighting styles involving melee-abilities for this particular class, there’s precedent in lore and in the game itself for us to actually have such a spec.

But, that, does not mean that ranged elements/features or just general things that cater towards certain archetypes of the hunter class involving the use of ranged weapons, should be taken away in favor of this new focus on melee-combat.

The bottom line is, the devs decided to remove RSV, and replace it with MSV. Causing the divide we find ourselves in. If they had decided to add in MSV as a 4th spec from the start of Legion, barely no hunter would’ve batted an eye/minded that addition.

Now, we are already waaay past those days, and the Legion-expansion. There’s no point in clinging to what happened then(by trying to revert it).

And, vastly changing either MM or BM to fit it in, would result in the same as were we are already. Just with different players involved. The act of not returning RSV, would not solve anything either.
The addition of a 4th spec option, which provides an updated version of the RSV spec, that would solve it.

3 Likes

Good argument for returning to Vanilla builds and pumping up your melee in surv. Ranked talents would be great there. And you always have ranged for b/u.

Not really. It would actually be a fairly bad argument for such a thing. If you want the Vanilla-style of talents, it’s already here. Classic is there for anyone who want it.

There’s a reason for why they moved away from this type of design/approach.
The old system does not work well in the long run. Simply due to the sheer number of talents/talent ranks we would end up with down the road.

First, it would require us to go back to the concept of having “filler” talents which do nothing but add a few % to damage for specific abilities or, reduce focus cost of a particular ability, etc.

With that, it would result in us, every time we want to change talents, being forced to spend upwards 5-10 minutes just to repeatedly click through all the ranks of each talent chosen.

Also, a talent-design based on what we had in for example Vanilla, would require major changes to be done to the class as a whole. As, we did not have defined specializations. We had 1 core playstyle, which talents, by design were only meant to build upon. Not alter/change.

If this is what you’re after, then fair enough. Although you already have this option in Classic.

2 Likes

Hence, ranks

I have to say I preferred even the flawed Vanilla talent system to the drek that passes for same now. I mean, core abilities stripped from your tool kit and offered back as talents? Seriously?

“Filler” talents can be reworked, and there’s nothing wrong with passive talents that pump up an existing ability anyway. A few % is all you should get from a talent rank…

There are addons that allow you to create talent specs in advance and import them so your “clicking” is confined to offline.

Major changes were made to the classes in Legion where they were decimated. They aren’t a whole lot better now. I long for older, better builds…gimme MoP.

Whatever the case, we just need more Bow/Gun specs, period.

I don’t understand why we can have Warrior / Paladin / DK all using the same weapons, but only Hunters using Bow / Gun.

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I assumed Survival was ranged based on things I read online. I just started leveling a hunter who is now at lvl 30 as MM. But now that Hunter SV is melee, I might give it a shot.

Surv Hunter is melee, nothing will be changed and it is better like that. Get over of it and enjoy!

Funny thing is every hunter spec pre Cata was a hybrid range melee spec.

All 3 specs pretty much had to use some form of melee until level 10 when they could finally train a pet. Most still had to use melee even after getting said pet because pet aggro wasn’t that great and there was a min range where you could use a range weapon.

These talents were to help you get out of danger and back into range. Melee spec was never considered a viable spec within itself.

3 Likes

I just looked up a quick guide video and it claimed SV fights along side the pet. No thanks. Lone Wolf is what brought me back to the hunter.

Before Legion Range Surv had Lone Wolf .

Range Surv was pretty much for years considered the Legolas spec. It was highly mobile and was great for add management.

1 Like

I miss true Survival. It was the only spec I enjoyed on a hunter; creating a subpar Frankenstein version out of Marksman talents is not the same experience. Beast Mastery should be the melee spec if anything.

5 Likes

What I hope they do given the popularity of Mandalorian is make it the ranged version of the Outlaw Rogue. But I’ve never known Blizzard to take the layup when they can spectacularly miss the dunk.

Melee survival is a trash design that goes against everything it was designed around when it was made a class. It was never meant to be a melee spec.

4 Likes

Your opinion is trash imho

1 Like

That’d be fine by me.

Fighters in D&D could specialize into Archery As well, it’d simply be more akin to brute force archery than being crafty like hunters. :woman_shrugging: