Please help - Screen Capture Failed

I don’t know if something from this morning’s maintenance broke something, but I’m unable to capture screenshots in-game now. It was working fine last night, now when I hit Print Screen I get the message text across my screen of “Screen Capture Failed” and no screenshots are being saved to my folder.

I’ve restarted my computer, my game, and even disabled all addons. I’ve found one other person this is also happening to, but it’s not happening to everyone, so I have no idea how to narrow down what the problem is.

I really rely on keeping an on-going screenshots folder instead of having to manually save them one at a time, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

8 Likes

Have you tried repairing your game files?

I’ve done a scan and repair and the issue persists. :frowning:

Where do you have WoW installed on your system? You may have a directory or file permission issue.

1 Like

I have it installed on its own SSD drive, 250gb and it’s not even halfway filled. I’ve double checked all the permissions and even toggled the read-only setting a couple times to make sure that wasn’t causing the problem, but still no fixes unfortunately.

For what it’s worth, I now have 3 people that are having the same problem I am so even though it’s not widespread, it’s definitely affecting more than just me which makes me suspect it might be something WoW-end, I’m just not sure what.

Have you tried running the game as admin to see if that fixes it?

Just gave that a shot, no dice.

I’m also having the exact same problem. It was working fine yesterday and always previously. Nothing about my system has changed other than the patch this morning.

3 Likes

if it means anything, you’re now the 3rd person besides myself to confirm this issue, so I know it’s not just me

I have no idea why it’s only affecting a small number of people, but maybe it’s something WoW-side?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue and have tried the same things short of restarting my comp. Even put the game on high priority. Mine was working fine yesterday.

2 Likes

Im having the same issue too. I usually just screenshot an paste to twitter to show something, or paste into photoshop {that still works fine.}

But when i actually went to look in my files, they aren’t there.

Defs an issue on WoW’s end if its more than just 1 person this is happening to.

2 Likes

Appreciate the responses confirming other issues.

I’m at my wit’s end with trying to fix it on my end, I’m really starting to think it’s something client side but I don’t know how or when they could fix it, if they’re aware yet.

I even backed up my existing screenshots folder, deleted it, and let the game create a fresh new one but the issue persists.

1 Like

Hey all,

For those that are experiencing the screenshot issue can you list out which addons you use?

I’m wondering if this might be an issue caused by a specific addon that is interacting with WoW (note that addons can still affect the game even when disabled).

Is anyone willing to try a quick UI reset following the steps in the link to see if it helps?

*Edit: I was able to test screenshotting just now and got “Screen Captured” as expected

1 Like

Hi Jambrix, thanks for the help.

I’ve followed the steps there, completely reset my game to default settings as such.

And I still have the problem. “Screen Capture Failed.”

I have no addons, no cache, no interface, no wtf folder. As barebones as I can get. (I safely backed up my originals before attempting this, but they’re on another drive)

Thanks for testing.

Lets start collecting DXDIAGs and see if we can find anything in common for those that are experiencing it.

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the direct link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

sure thing, not sure why this has been flagged as offensive by pastebin but, here’s mine:
https://pastebin.com/tVCdvZmE

1 Like

I use a Logitech Webcam on my desktop to take my pictures, Screenshots, and my microphone. And this morning I realized that the Windows Update had done something to the camera not working too. And Mine just worked yesterday too. So I had to check it, make sure it was plugged in, changed the port it was plugged into … and Miraculously it started taking pictures again. And Yes it is now taking screenshots too. But about an hour ago, I was trying to use the Mic on this Logitech Webcam, and it seems that some of the settings from that Windows Update had changed a few things… So I might recommend you go check your camer & mic settings and see if that helps you out… Mine is fully functioning now. Good Luck!

I actually don’t even have a webcam so I feel that’s not the issue I’m having, but thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Thanks for the DXDIAG!

Do you happen to have any overlays enabled? Discord overlay or anything similar?

Discord overlay is turned off as I don’t like things popping up overtop of my game, and other than that, none that I would be aware of. I think I’ve used that built-in Xbox game bar a couple times in the past for video recordings but I haven’t changed anything there recently, and I’ve never seen it pop-up over my game.

1 Like