Please help - Screen Capture Failed

I am also having this issue when it was working fine yesterday and I haven’t changed anything. At least it’s somewhat reassuring that I’m not the only one suddenly having this problem.

2 Likes

Thanks for helping us Jambrix!

Ok, started WoW with no WTF folder so it recreated a fresh one and empty interface/addons folder. Same result, “Screen Capture Failed”.

I have two webcams attached but have no issues with them. They’ve been attached for weeks and the screenshots were working without issue until today.

I have Discord running as always but have the overlay disabled. I always run Discord along side WoW, but have never had an issue with the WoW screenshots until today.

I can still take screenshots with GeForce Experience without issue, just as I was able to do so before the problem with WoW’s screenshots today.

Here’s my DXDiag in PasteBin. It also detected mine as offensive, no idea why.
https://pastebin.com/aZwCg6fj

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Here is my pastebin. No discord overlay. I left my addons up as I read someone had a clean slate and was still getting the issue.
https://pastebin.com/UjMBahXn

1 Like

Same issue here.
I’ve taken screenshots just about every day of the year since I regularly archive my adventures and take scenic screens for friends.

Today, I get “Screen Capture Failed”; similar to others I have no intrusive addons, have changed nothing on my system, my folder/drive is not full, and have tried disabling things regardless to no avail.

Being completely honest, I doubt an overlay would effect this issue anyway, since if the message is popping up at all in-game, the keybind is functioning fine.

This is likely an issue on the client’s end where its screen capture function is triggering the notification but for some reason is unable to either capture and/or save to the target location. (My theory anyway.)

I hope Blizz is looking into this :frowning:

1 Like

It’s certainly a relief to see more people having this bizarre issue. I hope they have a way to pinpoint what the problem is, because I’m someone who takes screenshots constantly without worrying about needing to capture them one at a time. I’ll pretty much snapshot everything that happens knowing they’ll be saved in the folder, so without that function it’s discouraging to not have that reliable archive, especially with the new raid launching tomorrow, I know I’ll want to take a lot of commemorative photos and I can’t always tab out to save them individually.

3 Likes

Likewise good to know it’s not just me. I don’t have any new software installed, I disabled my addons to be sure, my WoW install drive isn’t full, no overlays, and everything is otherwise working as it should, but all of a sudden, Screen Capture Failed. What’s the deal?

2 Likes

Glad it wasn’t just me, I thought maybe I exceeded space limit but I still have more than enough room. I hate this, I love taking screenies. :frowning:

2 Likes

Also having this issue!

3 Likes

Hey all, I was looking at the EU version of this thread (as people there are having the same issue)

someone suggested that an Avast antivirus update may be doing it, sure enough, I tried disabling my shields temporarily, and my screenshots are coming through again!

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/screen-capture-failed/219997/12

EDIT: I was able to “whitelist” WoW by going into Avast settings > General > Blocked & Allowed Apps > then manually adding World of Warcraft to the allowed ones!

10 Likes

I don’t know how to quote posts but adding wow to my Avast whitelist did fix my issue!

5 Likes

Adding wow.exe as an allowed app in Avast fixed the issue for me as well. Thank you to Vephriel, Jambrix, and everyone that helped track down this problem!! :smile:

6 Likes

Also confirming adding wow.exe to the Avast whitelist solved the issue! Thanks so much!

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for finding that and confirming adding Wow.exe to Avast whitelist fixed it.

Happy gaming and screenshotting everyone :smiley:

9 Likes

I tried adding WoW to my Avast whitelist, and it didn’t work for me at first, so in case anyone else runs into the same issue I did, I’d like to add that WoW and WoW.exe are different things.
I added WoW and the problem persisted.
I then chose the “Select Path” option in Avast’s whitelist screen, and went into my drive, into the WoW folders, into the retail version folder and found the .exe in there. No shortcuts!

Thanks for finding the issue, folks! I love screenshots too.

2 Likes

This worked for me, too! Of all the things to be somehow interfering!

1 Like

For me I also had to whitelist Wow.exe in the Ransomware Shield. Or just turn it off which I did just to make sure I don’t run into more problems with it.

1 Like

Thanks a ton, I was sad I couldn’t save screens, I do it so often haha!
You’re a legend.

This is happening to me right now too and idk what to do. :c

Configure your anti-virus to stop interfering with WoW.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/please-help-screen-capture-failed/761835/30

1 Like

Don’t know if this will help or not. I was having the same problem with failed screenshots. Discovered there was no screenshot folder in the Blizzard retail folder so I made one. Still didn’t work, so I checked in-game in key binds and Screen Cap was set to Numpad 9 for w/e reason. Used that, looked in the new screenshot folder I’d made and my screenshot was there.