Please fix past expansions

There are, admittedly, serious flaws in the flow of time and history ingame. But we have no-one but ourselves to blame. Well, those of us who play Horde at least.

Garrosh should have been stopped before he gave that team of Goblin engineers the go-ahead to to “Build a really cool and working TARDIS that won’t explode or poison the ground or accidentally screw up the flow of history all over the planet, honest, warchief!” in the first place.

Holy crap, I just found Carmen Sandiego.

2 Likes

The average player has to understand that this game has been running for over 15 years, thats a lot of story content, so it not like just flipping a switch and just having everything caught up. Also to make story make sense to new players you need to have the old story available so you cant update them. The amount of time and effort it would take update past content, you complain about not new content now…you would see anything for a while…

This is how I feel these days. Also why I advocate that any race should be any class among other things. Doesn’t matter anymore. Nothing does, lore wise.

1 Like

Personally I’m not asking for the old Vanilla to be available in this version of WoW (so please everybody refrain from “Classic is coming”). Would be awesome and have no clue why Blizzard thought that it would be a good idea to get rid of that… But that’s not what this post is about.

This post is about consistency. Either that the starting zones and quests are lined up to current content, or that they are not but the rest of world isn’t either. And honestly the latter doesn’t seem too complicated. You just have to phase the character by their level, have Zirdomi here and there to take you to the present or back, etc. Not saying that it would be an easy task, but I’m sure blizzard stores the phased version of each expansion and all it takes is to “sync” the zones to that particular expansion.

With zone scaling and the ability of people to level where they want, this would be pointless to do anything would it not ?

And I hate that Zirdomi - phasing crap - it is so annoying to have to travel half way across the zone just to talk to an npc so you can do what you came to that area to do. I take it that you didn’t do any of the elders stuff when the lunar festival was taking place.

How you level it’s your choice and should remain as it is. But for whom is leveling their first alt, or wants to level an alt to enjoy storyline, a change in this terms would make a huge difference. It’s not going to change anything for you that you don’t care about the lore in the questlines.

I don’t think Zirdomi is such a huge problem as you describe it, especially with all the flying speed that we have, but even so they could make a toy that could summon her so you don’t have to take those 30 secs to fly to her.

This game has already died. It’s a shell of it’s former self and there is nothing they can do about it.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that it has died because of however many people leave the game.

I knw this doesn’t help, but…

When I level an alt, I go deep into a RP mindset and pretend my character was literally given a quest to phase back & forth through time to see what happened and make sure it did.

It works especially well on my arcane mage Nightborne…

1 Like

You would have people complaining yet again about not being able to finish the story because they outleveled the area. People could have stayed in one area and finished that area before 7.3.5 if they wanted to see the story yet they would not.

Stop worrying about new players - this game can’t keep chasing long term players out of the game to hopefully attract new ones. It just can’t afford to.

And you obviously didn’t do that elder event - I had friends that found the same thing I did, it makes for a terrible experience when you keep having to switch times from one zone to the next and they aren’t even consistent some go back on their own, others you have to again fly to that person to switch it back.

They need to work on new content for everyone not keep rehashing things for the few they might get.

Sorry but I don’t see how this problem relates to the post. Is there a problem with overleveling? YES. Is it relatable to how the questlines are organized? NO. One thing Blizzard needs to understand on this matter is that they can’t except players to understand something that is not trivial (i.e. using the experience blocker), however this is not related to the fact that questlines does not make any sense under a continuity standpoint.

I don’t know where you get that fact, but I disagree. A game should focus on keeping long term players as well as attracting new ones… Especially with the rumor of subs going down by the month. The fact that they are not willing to do it, is a whole another story, but if we - as players - accept every bad move of blizzard without speaking up, nothing is going to change. Ever.

I did not, but you’re missing the point. I’m not saying that Zirdomi should absolutely with no doubt be the fix to that situation. I gave a general idea that came in my mind, but there are well paid game designers that I’m sure can come up with a solution that’ll make more sense as well as being comfortable for the majority of players.

Again, working on new content doesn’t and should not prevent from keeping old content up-to-date and enjoyable.

I understand your point of view, but “pretending” things is not everyone piece of cake. As mentioned by someone else in this thread I’d be happy if there would be specific quests that would actually tell you to go back in time.

1 Like

I’m realively new - started in Legion - and the disjointed, disconnected story and removed quests was one of the most disappointing and most annoying things to me and the main reason I haven’t done much early questing.

I thought I was signing up for an RPG style game, but this isn’t really that anymore.

I stuck around for dungeon running mostly.

If you go by zone BfA = roughly 3-4% of the playable content - that means over 95% of what’s available to play, of what I pay to play, has a boat load of problems too. Some are shared with BfA content - like class design- and some aren’t, but at the end of the day the game as a whole, not just BfA has problems that need fixing.

Old content is only irrelevant because it’s allowed to become that way. We all haven’t been here since vanilla alpha, not all of us want to just play the grindy, repetitive endgame slots.

No, but I think that they should restore what was removed from a story perspective and maybe phase the NPCs to be level appropriate for the story content.

2 Likes

As good as this idea is - they I doubt they would be willing. Given the edict to cut costs, this would require resources currently allocated elsewhere to help move the game forward.

(puts out a lovely tray of cookies for a chilly Saturday morning)

:cookie:

Time spent on old content is time not spent on new content.

Not sure how many new players would even notice. We level up through that content at a crazy speed. With it all being new to them, I don’t know how many of the details they will even remember.

In the state it’s in now it barely worth remembering - to me that’s sad.

1 Like

To be honest, I think this is a cool way to make the game feel like it’s evolving. Life is like this; when you start out you depend on reading and people sharing history rather than being able to experience it. To me, what you’re asking for is equivalent to a teenager asking for a corded home phone.

However, I do agree the wording needs to be changed in quests to reflect current affairs.

1 Like

Why does the former have to result in the latter? I am an old player and would still love to see the earlier content updated and given greater replay value.

I honestly am of the opinion that there is a good argument for making it more relevant even to max level players. I would love to see scaling taken up to 120 in most zones, and old quests scaled to grant small azerite gains and worthwhile gold to give max level players a reason to still return back to old content and play through the quests they missed for actual rewards worth their time.

They want the world to feel alive and full, and they want us to spend time in that world, so why not give us all better reason to do so?

I don’t think you have been playing long enough to identify what happens when blizzard spends a bunch of money on content. They force people into that content in order to justify the costs.

If you are willing to pay for the cost of doing this then I have no problem but I doubt you are. People somehow forgot blizzard is a business and they only have so much money to spend on this game. Anything they spend on old content means less money on new content.

This expansion is going to be the only expansion I will run out of content to do by the looks of it. And you want to know why - because they redid all the leveling areas and to justify the cost in doing that they made allied races to ‘encourage’ participation in that content at the expense of providing enough content and enough quality content in BfA. That exercise will cost them millions of dollars by the time this expansion is over.

So no thanks.

The current scaling was a compromise being full scaling and no scaling at all. So no thanks to this either.

Can you actually prove the causation between those two things, though? Or is that just how you feel that it happened?

Ironically, I hate the scaling in leveling zones. Blizzard implemented it really, really poorly – but could you maybe focus on the concept of “old content can be made relevant and worthwhile to max level characters” rather than just saying no thanks because you saw the world “scaling” in the mix? :thinking:

So you figure they just got their money presses out and created a bunch of money out of thin air, is that your theory ? Money has to come from somewhere, there is no where else it can come from but current content.