Please find a way to reintroduce the spell batching system that was changed/removed in 2014

No, because like I said, Vanilla WoW wasn’t balanced and spell batching mattering was non-important. The purpose of WoW Classic is to not be the next eSport so I honestly don’t understand people being upset by something that 99% of the time had no effect.

Well I can attest that I personally lost interest in pvp when spell batching was removed after MoP.

At after achieving gladiator in MoP, I attempted to return to pvp in WoD. The game felt awful because the entire system of play had been flipped on it’s head by this server “upgrade” and I stopped participating. I then turned my hand to mythic raiding, ended up in a top 100 US guild, and quit at the start of legion.

TLDR: Because of something you might see as non-important, myself (any many other players who were at the very top end) quit pvp (and wow) due to this change.

3 Likes

Weird, I loved Vanilla PvP because I would hide behind things and global cloth wearers as a Hunter.

1 Like

This was fun also.

As a top end pvper from when batching was around. I can assure you that it was a mechanic highly spoken about and used in its time. When we asked for a authentic vanilla experience we lost the right to pick and choose what should stay and what should go. It should be as close to the original as possible. This includes a mechanic which many high end pvpers noticed missing immediately after trying the new vanilla client.

4 Likes

Batching Needs to be in game. Frost mate unable to shatter combo with frost bolt + cone of cold or frost bolt + fire blast would break the classic feel of playing frost

3 Likes

The only reference to it I can find is from 2008 where a guide tells you that if you time it right, you may be able to cheap shot someone as they blink and they are stunned at the other end of their blink. Can’t find anything before that referencing anything similar using Google.

A quick google search and I see a page of reddit/bnet forum posts asking for batching to be reintroduced. Looking for early comments regarding batching is pointless. The forum posts would have only come after its removal.

I think I would find people talking about gutshotting a mages blink if it was a common place thing.

Yes. Because it recreates the core gameplay experience.

It wasn’t a common place thing. It was a mechanic that rarely a lower end player would be able to do (very rarely), and a mechanic that was heavily used to counter many all ins and lock downs in world pvp and arena.

If you’d like to see this mechanic being used in action, try youtube reckful 3 (simply because it is the most popular), or even searching “mage blink gouge”.

2 Likes

For those arguing against batching.
It effects class balance, they’ve already stated they wish not to alter the balance of the game. And if you wish to argue that it was a flaw or bug to be exploited then I will have to quote my statement in the other thread.

7 Likes

Is this how I once spellsteal’d my brother’s pally’s bubble? We cast them at the same time.

May have been a bug. This system didn’t allow for interactions that were impossible like spellstealing and unspellstealable buff.

2 Likes

Yeah that sounds more like a bug than spellbatching. If anything what would have happened is his bubble would of come up and your spellsteal would have acted as if it worked but you’d of gotten nothing from it.

1 Like

I remember Double saps, double gouges happening alot in rvr. I mean 2 guys spamming the same target/sap macro 10 times a second running into eachother are going to sap eachother. Gouge is the best move after recovering from sap so if your not casting that really fast as sap wear off your probably going to lose.

I wonder if we will be able to just walk forward through them to hit a backstab still?

1 Like

That’s based on batching, so if it’s removed you can’t back stab anymore outside of stealth.

I never really PvP’d, so I can’t comment about batching from personal experience.

However, if PvP players like it, it can’t be a good thing and should not be replicated.

I don’t really see spell batching as more “skill”. Its just a different approach. Batching allows you to make an action after you see another player make an action, while a first in first out or FIFO setup means you need to anticipate another player’s actions.

Both have elements of skill, though the latter has more “uncertainty”. Arguably anticipating uncertainty and predicting your opponents move is the greater test of skill. Being able to react after the former’s actions makes a simple “pokemon” counter situation. At that point you know “X beats Y or negates Z”, and simply press it. The outcome is more certain, and merely a result of knowledge, not reactionary or strategic skill.

So I would argue its less skillful. But maybe that’s what you want! After all, this is supposed to be a museum preservation of the old way of doing things. As such, if it is feasible for them to do so, I would support them going back to the old spell batching way to preserve the history.

You’re thinking of ambush. Backstabs only requirement in vanilla was that you were behind your target, and had a dagger equipped in your main hand. Your actual positioning was not based on batching.

Have you ever noticed when playing next to a friend that your character is in one spot on his screen, and in another on yours? This issue has improved a lot over the years, and is why you are unable to walk through your target or spam strafe on a mob to get free backstabs off.

2 Likes

you do realize that had nothing to do with frontstabing, and Ambush required stealth so even more not apart of frontstabing.

Front stabing used the .4s that the server has where it states something along the lines of ‘mob X to player X = behind; ability used = backstab, backstab hit’ (not a coder btw but you get the jist)
Because of that .4s delay you can make the system state the mob’s back is pointing towards you, allowing you to use an ability that requires you to attack from behind. This also allowed dagger spec rogues during leveling to be viable.

Not only that but there is even more applications, another instance is you had a .4s window to ‘stop casting’ but have the ability to go off. This was useful during movement phase, and was widely used during speed leveling runs as you can chain 2 auto’s and an ability (if the ability had a AA reset function) allowing you to have a higher burst and killing mobs faster.

1 Like