Please end the button bloat

Since Shadowlands blizzard has been going crazy with adding more rotational abilities to the classes. This is not a bad thing on its own but the fact that i cant specc out of it without major dmg losses on alot of the speccs is a huge design flaw. Since SL Assassination rogues have more or less the same abilities they had in BfA but they now also use Slice and Dice, Echoing Reprimand, Serrated Bone spikes, Kingsbane and Ambush. Thats almost a doubeling of abilities in your rotation in two expansions. Outlaw sees a similar growth in abilities where they have gotten Pistol Shot, Between the eyes, roll the bones, out of stealth ambush, Shadow Dance since WoD which again almost double their rotational abilites. MM Hunters lost chimeara shot and barrage/Power Shot/chakrams from WoD but they gained serpent sting, Death chakram, steel trap, rapid fire, volley and double tap, again almost a doubleing of spells you use in your single target rotation.

I wanna be clear, i know some people like having a ton of abilities and i dont want them to go away but we have massive talent trees right now but give us some choice nodes to reduce the amount of buttons. The flow of the rotation is more important to me than the number of buttons and in most cases i think this bloat hurts the flow rather than helps it, WW monk is the only specc i have tried that have made good use of similar amounts of abilites. I’ve enjoyed the game for 14 years however this recent invention of just adding abilities on top of abilites have made me enjoy the game alot less.

61 Likes

Dude you’re a hunter. …you should play feral. Way easier :joy:

4 Likes

The problem with button bloat is not about difficulty and the learning curve increasing, its about how speccs feel to play and their flow. Your rotational abilities are about a third of all you abilities so 5 more buttons arent hard to learn, its about what amount of buttons are comfortable to spam in a rotation. You dont see other games increaseing their button count this way, consoles dont release with double the buttons on their controllers. Its also about the flow in the rotation, WoD survival had like what 5 abilites and still felt great cus it flowed well, MM today has almost double that and half of it is just throwing random stuff with out much thought to it.

10 Likes

I do agree.
Several specs have too many big CDs.

For example, UH DK can spec into the following all at once:
Abomination Limb
Empower Rune Weapon
Summon Gargoyle
Unholy Assault
Apocalypse
Army of the Dead

Why do I need all of these flashy, powerful CDs?
Having ERW and Abom Limb both on a 2min CD feels clunky. Having them all to use at the start of an encounter? Too much.
They’re not part of my sustain rotation, but used frequently enough that I need comfortable binds for them and need to continuously manage their CDs.

Mage is another spec that I feel has become bloated with niche CDs.

Hunter is a good example of how they should be handling it IMO. Serpent Sting is a talent you can pick up, but it doesn’t add button bloat, because it synergizes with Aimed Shot, in addition the following nodes that buff Serpent Sting buff your Aimed Shot’s serpent sting.

5 Likes

They removed the bloat and then people complained about it. So they brought the bloat back.

22 Likes

The bloat has never been this bad, go back and look at old rotations they were never on this level. There was times when you had a bunch of abilites thath you would not use but thats a different matter.

5 Likes

the bloat is worse than it previously was, Rogue which always had alot of buttons is just unreal now. Additionally if you look back, prior to the button bloat, many specs played much slower, leaving more time to manage all the buttons, but in legion they sped everything up and pruned abilities.

10 Likes

I mostly saw people complaining about flavor and niche utility spells being removed though, not saying they wanted 5+ cooldowns to track per spec.

17 Likes

I’m fine with button bloat and many keybinds.

I’m kinda fine with the graphical bonanza of environmental hazards, 1 shot abilities, and constant movement.

I’m not ok with both simultaneously.

16 Likes

I literally base my talent selections for all classes on as many passives as possible.

14 Likes

Sort things into better paragraphs my dude. Them walls of text are hard to read.

It’s worse in m+. For aoe, the setup is absolutely disgusting.
I don’t think I start actually doing my regular aoe rotation for a good 7-8 seconds into combat.

2 Likes

Ye that understandable, i just dont like being forced to choose between doubeling my rotational abilities or taking a 20% dmg loss.

3 Likes

That’s kind of always been the choice, though. Generally, active abilities yield better throughput than passives.

1 Like

Agreed… and most of my characters are super casual alts, so that works for 99% of my gameplay.

Yes thats been a choice since the MoP talent rework but back then you had roughly the same amount of abilities from expansion to expansion, suddenly doubeling whats in your rotation and forcing you to make the choice feels bad.

You also dont have the same kinda of balance as before, in the MoP system you would choose between an active and a passive for example, you dont have the same choice in the new talent trees, alot of the time you need to make some really wonkey talent choice to avoid the bloat which leaves you with a much bigger output difference than before.

2 Likes

Slice & Dice is only used once because of Cut to the Chase.
Kingsbane is not required. Taking Dragon-Tempered Blades instead sims within 1% of it.
Ambush will also not be realistically used in combat more than once unless specifically Talented into Shadow Dance, in which case you probably wouldn’t be taking Echoing Reprimand.
Serrated Bone Spikes and Reprimand are the only two “real” additions.

I would much rather have that then need to spam the old Mark for Death on every single enemy right before it dies.

At least get your facts straight before coming to complain. If you don’t like an ability, choose something passive or don’t use it at all.

2 Likes

For some things Bliz hasn’t a clue on what direction to take some systems, they look back at old April fools jokes and take a quick look at the forums and go with anything posted about cause it must all be good ideas right?

When you are in constant combat yes, but it can fall off when things go wrong in m+ for example so you still want it on a decent keybind. Also if its an ability you only press once why not give it the option to be a passive.

For now, in the next patch Kingsbane will be a choice node with Dragon-Tempered Blades which means it will either ended being your single target choice or it will be irrelevant since at the moment that 1% dmg diffrence is with a few diffrent talent picks.

This is incorrect you use Blindeside in your single target build so you will get ambush proccs out of stealth.

No reason to be rude when we are talking about video games especially when you are just making stuff up.

5 Likes

Having a 15 GCD opener before I start to do good damage sucks :frowning:

4 Likes

And the worst part is knowing a DH could just press Eye Beam and do about as much with one GCD lol

2 Likes