Please don’t hit Velen with the edgy bat next expansion

Velen’s story might be explored in the next expansion, but from interviews and foreshadowing, sounds like we’re going with the “Velen loses faith” route. That is a bad idea for several reasons, including that Velen’s recent crisis of faith is poorly written.

It begins in Legion with the “death of a loved one” cliché via Velen’s son Rakeesh, which can insult religious people by suggesting their faith is one tragedy away from breaking… and can insult non-religious by suggesting they’re only that way due to personal trauma.

The story states Velen got a vision of his son’s fate, but suppressed it because he didn’t want that to happen… but everything after Rakeesh’s death treats the situation as if his crisis of faith is due to failure of the Light or his prophecy.

The next part supposedly happens when Velen had one argument with Illidan aboard the Vindicaar, even though Illidan was wrong; Velen had to leave, otherwise his people would’ve been killed and Hatunn and Lu’ra’s sacrifices would’ve been for nothing. Illidan’s also a hypocrite as Illidan has gotten many of his followers killed for his plans, spent years hiding from Kil’jaeden in Outland, and unlike Velen has bent the knee to the Burning Legion in the past.

The final part is Xe’ra’s attempted Lightforging by force of Illidan. Were suddenly we’re supposed to assume the worst because of this and one line from Velen; “There’s much Xe’ra did not want you to know”. “Show, don’t tell” Blizzard, it’s a key part of writing. Velen even says in the end “Light be with you, Illidan Stormrage” when parting ways at the Seat of the Pantheon, contradicting that.

If you want characters who have crisis’ of faith, there’s plenty of them in the lore already, from some Night Elves struggling to cope with the Burning of Teldrassil, to Vol’jin’s buddy Tyrathan Khort who’s an outright apostate. Go explore their crisis of faith, there’s more reason to, than to make a character whose faith is a big part of their identity lose it just because that’s the popular thing these days.

5 Likes

If I am being honest, it seems like an open-secret at this point that they are setting up the very concept of ‘the light’ to be villain batted in the next expansion. If Velen is having a crisis of faith, then this means he doesn’t have to commit himself to the Light’s cause, and can continue to be a cool guy. In other words, this is Blizz’s way of turning the Light evil without throwing Velen under the bus.

Either way I am not a fan.

19 Likes

They should kill off Velen before that happens-- that would shake people about their faith in the light if it destroys their prophet. :robot:

2 Likes

You mean the part where Velen admitted that blind devotion to the Light is not a good thing? I hardly see that as a precursor to a crisis of faith, unless you are expecting the Light as a whole Cosmological force (rather than, y’know, just some peoples use of it) getting a villain treatment. Which the latter seems far more likely, as the use of Light has always had that capacity. Its just never been explored too much.

Frankly, with him getting a resolution in Argus, I would assume that Velen is either going to be killed; or is going to represent a competing (less “villainous”) vision of Light Worship.

23 Likes

Been there…done that…shock is gone…especially since I bumped into him like 5 seconds after the funeral (I’d also completely forgotten MU and AU Draenor were a thing, so this was a great Caesar’s ghost moment…).

1 Like

If anything, I get the opposite vibe.

Blizzard has laid a foundation for Velen to openly move passed the Light and do his own thing. After Illidan destroys Xera, Velen goes on with little regard to Xera’s grand schemes.

He sat out most of BfA - we see him chilling a bit but he doesn’t comment much. So he didn’t lose much luster among any Horde fans that he might have. I can see Velen stand against Yrel and Turalyon, and maybe be the Alliance’s liaison to Horde Champions in a “Tyranny of the Light” Expac.

9 Likes

I don’t think Turalyon’s going to go villain. I think it would be pretty crummy that we only learn about the Light when it’s getting villain batted.

What opposite vibe?

He will, 100%.

1 Like

I don’t think they are going to villian bat the Light but they are dancing around the idea that the Light can be manipulated for evil, but that doesn’t change the benevolent nature of the Light.

Its just a mirror of the real world using faith as an excuse to to terrible things.

2 Likes

I hope you’re right, because those type of edgelord story arcs I talked about in the main comment have become popular these days.

6 Likes

For once, I hope you are right.

3 Likes

there’s also a possibility that Tyr can come back into the narrative and I think that would be great if Turalyon specifically starts to get the villain bat because then Tyr can bring him back to the correct paladin path.

I suspect Tyr could be a new X’era for Turalyon to find faith in. it could unify the Silver Hand and the Army of Light into one force of the Light. I think that would bring nobility back to the side of the Light after Y’rel’s divergence.

1 Like

To be honest, I’m surprised you’re saying this given our past heated exchanges Luxio. Thank you.

Not sure about Tyr coming back, but if so, I wouldn’t be against that. I do think there are other naaru such as A’dal who seem benign.

I mean, its pretty obvious that Turaylon even being placed in an atagonistic role is going to have to come in the form of him being misled/manipulated, and its going to be temporary. He isn’t going to go out a villain, he is going to realize the truth of his mistake, he is going to be given opportunities to try to correct it. In short, a bit of Ner’zhul treatment is the most we should expect from such a hypothetical path; and I highly doubt the conclusion will be quite as grim.

Very few “Ner’zhul’d” individuals end up with that “Ner’zhul” ending. With them only realizing the truth of their horrific mistake too late to make a difference. Watching as the choices they were misled into making destroy the very people they were trying to save. And essentially having that guilt and desperation to atone drive them mad.

7 Likes

I just don’t want Blizzard to go all “Garth Ennis’ Preacher” on the Light (I hated those comics) and give Velen the Jesse Custer treatment, which is what I’m concerned they’re about to do and hope they don’t.

The writers did good with some characters such as Arthas, Liadrin and Wrathion, but have done badly with others such as Illidan and Me’dan. And don’t get me started on their ludicrous retcon habit. I want to think they’ll do a good job but I have my doubts.

4 Likes

The thing I’m worried about is how they would turn it into a conflict between him and Alleria because we already had hints of that in Shadows Rising.

Would he turn against his own wife?

The Visions of N’Zoth shows that no matter what they both have a conflict of faith and their family drama is probably enough to fill the story for an expansion at least. Alleria may eventually kill him that’s something that is foreshadowing but him protecting Arator and making sure Arator doesn’t go down the wrong path of the Light could a redeemable angle for him.

I can see him getting duped only to make sure his son doesn’t get duped. I think that could parallel with Velen’s experience with Rakeesh. Velen could help him make sure his son doesn’t go down to wrong path.

I don’t think the Void will give him a choice to be honest.

If Alleria looses control… let’s all hope that doesn’t happen.

Turalyon did disagree with Xe’ra in person when Xe’ra wanted to kill Alleria, so I don’t think Turalyon will turn against her (that’s also one more reason I’m against villain-batting Turalyon).

3 Likes

Depends on the context. See, part of the reason I like the idea that the Lightbound play a part in any potential “antagonist” role he’d get, is because their general message is “saving the evil races from themselves”. We know very little concrete about them beyond that, but that we do at least know. So, don’t you think that would resonate with some Alliance that have been so hurt (so repeatedly) by the races of the Horde; especially since the Lightbound would give those individuals the power to act on that? The addition of that 3rd party (that the Alliance have no reason not to trust unless they oust themselves) would absolutely tip the balance of power heavily in the Alliance’s favor on Azeroth. Providing means and opportunity. Just need motive.

Alleria, like it or not, has been built up as a bit of a ticking clock. At least from an outsider’s perspective. Almost to Red Herring levels at this point. Just like with certain Horde races, impetus for action against them by “The Light” really more takes the form of creating a catalyst that seemingly validates and reinforces the concerns or expectations of these groups that already exist. ESPECIALLY if that catalyst occurs while so many peaceniks are locked away so tidily in the Shadowlands. Including even Feathermoon and Calia atm.

3 Likes

And as an unrelated footnote. The reason I like such a “Shadows of the Light” concept, especially if it takes advantage of the Lightbound, Light Mother, and the Alliance’s lack of any real reason to be suspicious of them (until the LBs themselves give them one) … is conceptually which races on both Factions could really shine. The Forsaken and AU Mag’har for the Horde (both whom need a lot of TLC), and the LightFORGED+Draenei and VElves for the Alliance (both whom need a lot of TLC). These groups all need serious love.

Even beyond seeing the Horde two and Velves getting that attention (and chances to subvert the expectations placed upon them, allowing them opportunities to show their grit and capacity for heroism) … I want to see that clash between the LightFORGED vs the LightBOUND. Especially if the Lightbound are capable of forced Binding/Conversion using their form of Light Worship/Practice. Because I cannot fathom a more interesting story to tell than those who are FORGED by the Light (and the deep spiritual expectation that comes with that meaning) being forced to confront the ideals of those that are BOUND by it (and BIND others to it, assuming they can).

And, should Turalyon get that Ner’zhul treatment, him being bound by the Light (like what Xe’ra I assume attempted to the Illidan) when he realizes the truth of his mistake … then SAVING him can be an objective of the Alliance (and his wife) during that story. Even Yrel for that matter (despite what she’s done), provided she is being manipulated through her prophetic visions she was given no training to interpret or validate. Just as saving AU Grom (assuming he’s still alive, and BOUND by the Light too) could be a story for the AU Mag’har and the Horde. It also would allow immense development chances for Voss, Geya’rah, Alleria, AND (my hope) Fareeya.

5 Likes