Please do hit Anduin with the villian bat

That’s neither here nor there. Regardless of how Blizzard writes them, villainbatting characters is not compelling and is growing extremely tiresome - let alone four at once.

3 Likes

What exactly do you expect him to learn?

You think being rescued from superhell by both Horde and Alliance characters will somehow convince him to abandon his coexistence philosophies?

2 Likes

I would think that the fact that his experience in the Shadowlands is a direct result of the Horde’s support of Sylvanas and the Forsaken would leave an impression on him (it won’t)

The Horde turned on her and she got away. There’s no clear idea that she wouldn’t have just gone there sooner had they rebelled sooner. Unless you mean helping them years ago in which case, they hardly could have foreseen this.

4 Likes

I honestly do get the feeling that she was going to leave no matter how that battle turned out though. Even if the battle had gone down and the Rebels had breached the gate, they would have found an empty Grommosh hold. And unless the defenders absolutely steamrolled the rebels, the Horde would not have been much good to her after that battle. Especially when so many Racial Leaders died on the opposition.

Anduin: “I see clearly now. This never would have happened… if it wasn’t for a horde character!”
Anduin sinks to one knee and thunderous applause can be heard as he’s suddenly vaunted as best character in the franchise, along with people begging not to villain bat him after all.

2 Likes

Still thinking the Lightbound doing something fun with Turalyon while all the Peaceniks are so conveniently locked away would be the way to go. You got means and opportunity right now, all you need is a catalyst to get the Blues to act on that laundry list of motives they need. And really, that catalyst need only be something that reinforces the very justified at this point expectations of the Horde.

1 Like

They havent villain batted a character in… Well ever to my knowledge, aside from Garrosh.

One of the reasons the Forsaken are such a problematic addition to the game is that even in Vanilla you’d have to be blind, deaf, and mute to not see that they were bad news.

It was so obvious that frankly the only thing that can save Thrall and Cairne and whatnot from complete character assassination is the notion that they never actually bothered to visit the Undercity, making them incredibly naive instead of aggressively stupid.

‘Bad news’ and ‘just their leader will have a secret pact with an unknown, imprisoned death god years down the road and attempt to betray everyone’ are leagues apart. Everyone could tell they were bad news, they just decided it was worth the risk for helping the good ones. And hey, some have done good.

1 Like

Eyeroll though that it seems they tried to mildly make him Arthas 2.0 in Shadowlands -
But yknow. Without the steady downfall to that point - and just a sudden snap change. Without any of the love for the story either.

I’d like him to fall to the Void personally, and announce that he’s got more potential of Void than Alleria or any of the other Void Elves do — that void beings aren’t always necessarily superior or particularly more in affect within the void itself. (Wouldn’t be the first time WoW has depicted such, e.g. Some Elves being outclassed in magic by some humans).

2 Likes

It’s kinda funny how Blizzard is easy to predict, just lower your expectations, and expect something far worse. and then you are kinda close to the actual result.

2 Likes

I always felt that a combination of Cata and War Crimes did enough to soil Thrall as a character. That whole thing about him not wanting to try to stop a war between the alliance and the horde, especially when it’s aimed against Jaina of all people (only for him to turn around and go “wait no” when the shoe’s on the other foot) seemed pretty bad for me.

5 Likes

The notion that the actions of Sylvanas Windrunner should be considered completely distinct from all the organizations that she was involved with since WoW began is incredibly inane.

Sylvanas isn’t some minor character with little association with either faction. She was a major Horde racial leader since Vanilla, the de-facto leader of the Horde in the Eastern Kingdoms, and Warchief of the entire Horde for two expansions.

These associations should have narrative consequences for those affected by her actions, including Anduin, who is presently undergoing an extremely traumatic and violating experience inflicted on him by her specifically.

Anduin is a boring character. Always has been.

3 Likes

Who is making that argument? I’m talking about one specific action. Betraying the world and allying with the Jailer.

So there should be consequences for the Horde for something happening they didn’t support, worked/are working against, and couldn’t have reasonably predicted. Seems like they’re stuck dealing with it in a real way currently, yeah.

The only thing stopping that is the Lightbound are trapped in a starving timeline. That said, Lothraxion can perform something if we’re focusing on Dreadlords soon.

1 Like

I mean, we are liable to be pretty inconsequential in the events of SLs … so sure? I don’t expect anything from Baine beyond Blizz reinforcing he’s a pet of a writers pet; and I would be shocked if Thrall even gets a reenactment of his awful WoD arc. Most “Horde Content” will probably go to Calia.

I mean … aren’t Naaru ships interdimensional as well as interspacial? I would assume since the pretense of the Lightbound even being formed was the slow migration of ever more Naaru to the planet. One of which seems to be a Prime like Xe’ra. I highly doubt that the Lightbound are stuck on AU Draenor. No point in giving your new prophet grand ambitions of joining all under the unity of the Light if she and her forces are stuck on a dying mudball in a dead timeline. The Light Mother had to have a way off for her and her forces.

EDIT: And yes, Lothraxian is another facet of this. As is Turalyon being backed politically by the House of Nobles (who haven’t been whitewashed just yet).

2 Likes

And look at how people feel about that. But again, that’s still neither here nor there.