Please break or ban automatic invite/whispers

Namely speaking about ones from public channels. These people with addons/weakauras that automatically msg and invite you when you ask for an enchanter are completely unfair to the rest. The person is instantly in a group before we can even blink.
It’s automation, and should be stopped
The line should be drawn outside PM / Guild chat (like raid invites)

9 Likes

I kind of like them—makes it super fast and easy when I want an enchant.

9 Likes

Greetings, I happen to be one of the first people to have written code to auto-invite for enchanting.

The very first version of my code was used on my rogue Nagee-Herod around the release of BWL. For the last 2 1/2 years I have run my code with no issues, and have only released it to a handful of other people to prevent it from becoming too much of an annoyance to others.

In all of that time I have been reported numerous times for “botting”. The problem is, I am not in fact botting. Every enchant I have done, every spell I have cast, every trade window I have opened has been me manually clicking. Auto-Invites have existed for 16+ years for starting raids. Addons reading chat for various things have existed for just as long if not longer.

The whole point of my code was to allow me to be lazy. I didn’t like spamming trade chat, and I really really didn’t like having to speed read trade chat. On top of that, enchant spam cant contain all of your enchants … and by trying to fit as much info as you can into one message you create an eye sore that no one really wants to read anyway. Also trade chat has lots of conversations and randomness that has nothing to do with sales … and reading it for multiple hours at a time was painful. So, I wrote myself some code to scan chat and flag messages in chat that matched a specific set of criteria. My code would then highlight the chat, as well as send this person a whisper and an invite.

In all of preBC people of Herod largely enjoyed my presence and the fruits of my labor … because not only did it allow ME to be lazy, but it allowed THEM to be lazy by only having to spam once to get the enchant they needed. On top of this, I did all enchants for FREE with tips being optional. I didnt write the code to get rich, I didnt write the code to dominate the market … I wrote it because velums where not a thing yet and searching for enchanters / enchantees in chat was annoying.

The problems only started when:
a) everyone decided that enchanting should be the primary prof for TBC
b) everyone wanted to turn a profit w/ little to no effort before Velums existed

So, in terms of your first concern of it being “completely unfair” … um, sorry? Its a free market, and thus fair isnt nor has it ever been a thing.

In terms of your second concern “its automation” … not really. As I said before, bliz provides api to do a great many things and only has issues with things that automate spells / combat … of which I am doing neither.

And the third point, which you have yet to even consider … all of this is temporary and completely resolved at the release of Wrath when Velums become a part of the game. If bliz wanted to stop any of this, they would not mess with the api at all … rather they would just add Velums and/or the ability to link a profession spellbook into the game early.

PS - the auto inviter is only one of the pieces of code that I have written … I also wrote https://wago.io/17ZQgjA3y to aid in my enchanting endeavors and share it openly to assist all enchanters.

21 Likes

That makes as much sense as “if you think botting is unfair or gold buying is unfair, just do it yourself”

Reguardless of how long stuff similar may have existed, this code literally automates functions… invite and whisper. And it’s annoying and jolting as hell to instantly be whispered by half a dozen people.
And yes it’s unfair to normal people who do like most of us, and see someone say “LF xyz” and msg them or try to whisper them saying we can do that. Instead, you have a script to automate it and invite the person, so we have no chance.
It’s annoying on both ends.
You can not argue it isnt automation, at all. You literally have no legs to stand on as it does automate functions. Whether these go far enough for blizzard to step in however, is another matter.
Needs to be nipped in the bud. Like I said, I dont like being whispered by half a dozen bots when I ask who can make xyz

And on my end, im voting with my wallet. When I finally posted this, it was after I asked for some enchants. I denied the automated people, reported them, and got the enchants from someone who msged me normally.

2 Likes

I use automation for Enchanting and have been for about 2 years now. Plenty of people have chosen to decline the invite they receive, to go to someone who was manually whispering them. Not everyone likes automation, and that’s fine, but we live in a microwave setting world where people don’t want to sit around and wait for a response.

Good luck.

8 Likes

except, im not botting … im doing something equiv of that of running TSM … but it scans trade chat instead of the AH

I am sorry took time out of my busy life to learn how to write code to do things that make my life easier? … You could do the same if you so chose.

7 Likes

Boom roasted!

1 Like

Yet again, botters could say the exact same thing. “I wrote this code so it levels my characater for me, why dont you just do the same?”
“You could do it too” is not a valid arguement. It’s a desperate grasp for someone falling, and failing.

3 Likes

Enchants can be placed on velum’s and put on the AH come WOTLK. Just deal with it for another year and none of us will have to spam trade for enchants.

I agree they should be banned it’s annoying

1 Like

Except for the fact that as I have stated multiple times, what I am doing is not “botting”

Botting is:

a way of controlling an in-game character through automated means, so you don’t have to actually be there. Typically, a bot uses a series of automated macros to control the player for you to do simple things like farm for resources

However, as I have said multiple times, I am there 100% of the time, and all casts and character control is done by me by hand. Mods that auto-reply / auto-invite are 100% allowed as long as it doesn’t spam the hell out of someone (see DBM, BigWigs, and many more).

Do you not understand what a comparison is?

1 Like

Thats just it, I do understand and I vehemently disagree. You and people like you are simply mad because its not fair … but I have a nugget of wisdom for you.

LIFE ISNT FAIR

Wow’s free market, isnt fair. Its not balanced, its not designed to be fair. This isnt pvp, this isnt fighting for plant and mining nodes. This is players trading with other players … and if I make things easier, quicker, and cheaper for my customers … I win.

I am not doing anything wrong … your just mad that you cant do it better. So instead your throwing stones at something that I have been doing for over 2 1/2 years w/ tens if not hundreds of GM reports … all resulting in NO action.

Your doing the equiv of being a 3ft tall person being mad that an 8ft tall person can dunk on you … and you cant do anything about it. Guess what, I have a degree in computer science and know how to make things that are valuable to others … you are just mad cause you cant compete.

2 Likes

if I “wanted to compete” I would simply use the same addon
But, it’s wrong
the only one raging mad here seems to be you. Your arguements for rebuttal are poor at best, and you basically just prove my point. You admit it’s not fair and it’s automating. Thanks.

1 Like

Technically its a robot reply therefore botting tied with an automated invite

2 Likes

No you wouldnt … because I wouldnt give it to you. And yes, mine is MUCH better than the one that is currently open sourced and published on curse

Then you need to uninstall Bigwigs and DBM too … cause thoes are “robot replys” too

the same addon these others are using*
Same result. You can see yourself out though.
Like I said before… you are correct, alot of stuff is automation… it’s a matter of where blizzard decides to draw the line… and I say it should be drawn here.
You can disagree or not, but your reasoning is flawed and y u mad bro?

I do disagree, and a line has been drawn … again I have been reported MANY MANY times … and I have yet to hear from a GM. Thus guess which side of the line I am on.

Its not me that is mad, it is you … I am simply explaining the facts such as they are.

They are but they dont invite you the same time. its also not only one person having the addon so your chat gets spammed by the same message instantly :smiley: its like 20 guilds inviting you at once with that one addon.

1 Like

You are splitting hairs here because there are raid tools like “Method Raid Tools” that do automate invite for raid building, and DKP addons that insta auto respond. There have even been Trivia bots that people sometimes put in trade chat. Hell, there was a weakaura that /spit on people w/ the Reawakened Phase Hunter for pretty much all of p4 and bliz did finally take action.

But guess what? I have been doing my thing since the release of BWL … and bliz hasnt even talked to me about it. Infact, no one really even cared till the start of TBC when everyone and their brother where trying to spam trade chat w/ all the enchants they had because enchanting became the new BiS profession.

If you dont like my services, then dont use them. I dont know about the rest of the “addons” but mine will only message you once … and then wait 15m before messaging you again if you still havnt found someone. The whole point of my code is to make things easy and to NOT annoy people. If you are still annoyed, you have my apologies, but I made my best effort and truth be told your being a might bit unreasonable because after all if you are “LF Enchanter” in trade chat … you are literally asking for people to message you … my response is just very fast.

2 Likes