Playing without URH hurts the game

but this is the problem no? because some classes have the cake and eat it too in terms of massive windows AND sustainable dmg

I can slam tyrant in junkyard on zug and still have it for trixie and naeno, it’s just bad design for classes that cannot do this

dogs gives us absolutely absurd dmg outside of tyrant while being essentially a “2min class”

Nah, the bigger problem is that not every class cooldown stacks equally.

Take Warlocks for example. If a Warlock has Lust, PI, Rallying Cry, Soul Rot/Field of Blossoms and Trinkets, their Tyrants/Infernals are literally untouchable.

Whereas if a class that doesn’t scale well with Haste gets all those buffs, they do okay I guess.

Warlocks don’t have “high sustain”, they just have really frequent burst windows where while they can’t stack all the buffs I listed, they can stack enough cooldowns frequently enough that they blow everyone else out in the water.

And sustain is way easier to balance specs around than how hard they can burst with external buffs like PI/Lust or “neutral” buffs like Field of Blossom and Potions.

they do though - spamming RoF out of infernal is still 30k dps - and yes this may not be 90k, but they can still do it outside of infernal (which they do every other pull)

we can’t balance off of PI alone tho - or else demo would be nerfed to the floor because the class is insane with 90% haste

but for the most part yeah ur right

People see pretty dps numbers and think immediately “nerf”

It’s the same thing with blood dk single target - people think that DKs are strong because of their numbers when they’re strong NOT because of damage (even tho it’s a factor) but because of what they bring.

Your burst is literally three times stronger than your sustain. That’s what I mean by it not being high sustain.

Cooldowns should naturally improve your damage, but there being a threefold increase when you hit Infernal is ridiculous.

PI is honestly not nearly as big a factor in terms of Warlock power as Unity + Field of Blossoms giving you functionally a Lust every minute when you hit Soul Rot in AoE situations.

But the bigger problem with Warlock balancing is that none of those abilities are exclusive. You can have Soul Rots Haste Buff. You can have Field of Blossoms. You can have PI and you can have Lust all at once.

You can’t really balance classes (especially classes that uber scale with haste) when you can hit Lust + PI and suddenly they’ve got like 50% more Haste ontop of what the class internally has.

1 Like

I think the balancing talk is really hard to judge with the current state of the game

Think about what we have - we have affixes on bosses that give absolutely absurd amounts of “flat damage or haste”

In M+ we have an affix that gives us again - an absurd amount of haste

It’s like people don’t really know how u can fix this, and the answer is there is no fix.

as long as we have these affixes, there won’t ever be like a “fix”

1 Like

Balance is always an iterative process. I’m not really talking about balance for the current state of the game so much as I’m talking about the “meta” so to speak of balancing.

Stacking buffs is probably the most fundamental way of breaking RPG’s since the concept of buffs and RPG’s were invented.

And it’s not like Blizzard were unaware of this. Like one of the balance changes back in ye olde days was specifically to prevent PI from stacking with other cooldowns such as Arcane Power, Bloodlust or other Haste increasing buffs.

It wouldn’t “fix” balance. Like I said earlier, it’s an iterative process and there’s always going to be a best class. But it would solve a huge portion of the headaches that come with modern class balancing.

1 Like

I feel like people forget about this sentence 99% of the time

Just because blood dk is op doesn’t mean that if they nerf bdks your prot warrior will get better.

1 Like

Yeah It’s an absolute arms race to see who can rip through their cooldowns faster. Some of these classes like hunters do their damage entirely independent of cooldowns too.

Three?!? Meta is a base 5 minute cool down :frowning: