Playing a black human Experience

Or because they didn’t have time to include literally every single cultural background of people :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’m not sure how true this is so I’m not going to speak on it but I think racism from any race should be a criminal offense. Also I was expecting more Asian customization, the Asian features at blizzcon during their introduction seemed a lot more Asian than what we got in game and I feel bad for Asian players over that.

I’ve been playing a dark chocolate High Elf since the customization option was added and I haven’t received a single comment on my appearance.

The post seems disingenuous because you’re playing on Moon Guard, the single most populated ROLEPLAY server in the game, sitting in the single most densely populated zone in the game, and are complaining that roleplay happened. If players are using your identity to act out a scenario for the sake of theatrics, that’s just roleplaying.

Racism would be a player attacking your actual person due to what they know or believe to be a particular ethnicity, with the intention of disparaging you based on that. If you haven’t demonstrated that, then you haven’t demonstrated racism. There is a massive difference between playing a dark-skinned character and having dark skin.

7 Likes

I have been playing a black pally since b4 the start of wrath some time ago and have only had 1 thing said to me .

As a female void elf in real life, I am sick of characters discriminating against not because my ilevel is low, but my purple skin.

All the pale skinned void elves always get invited into groups despite their low ilevel. Lightskinned VELF privledge.

3 Likes

I’m actually brown good sir.

1 Like

Look at this toon. Never ever had anything said to me what you had reported. I don’t think 99% of the player base cares what my toon looks like and the 1% that does I don’t encounter.

Edit: I made the skin of this toon as dark as possible (wish for true black) because she is a drow elf that has turned dk and is the harbinger of a major dark elf invasion from the D&D universe into the wow universe.

1 Like

I think that might be an outlier experience but looking forward to accounts of players ingame.

My KT warrior has always had dark skin and the whole time I’ve played wow I don’t think I’ve had one comment about it.

I’m Asian IRL and honestly the western world seems too sensitive nowadays. I liked it back when I was growing up and people did tease the Mickey out of all your identities whether age, sex, religion, race, hometown, place of residence and lifestyle.

5 Likes

Okay be honest do you want a chocolate girlfriend or not? Sounds like you wanna get freaky with one. That’s usually what it comes down to after all.

1 Like

Well I made a black character and I am white but I think the dark skin is a better look and I never noticed any difference.

Why? Does behavior have to be seen through a specific lens into order for it to be determined good or bad?

1 Like

I’ve never had this happen to me.

Also, never had this happen but then I don’t debate. If I talk with someone and they seem rude or obtuse, I generally just tell them what to do as politely as possible.
It works.

No one ingame knows what we look like behind the screens. No one has ever asked me “what I am”, either.

It just hasn’t come up. We usually talk about other things, like life and how dumb it can be and right now, it’s getting stupider than usual lately.

4 Likes

never in game really but some of the guilds i’m in it has happened cause they actually know what i loook like i just blow it off it’s the internet i honestly ignore most of whats said. i play draenei so no real black but i did make a human rogue colored. i honestly don’t care anymore whats said when i get annoyed enough i just log off.

Sir we turn more red and lifeless in the sun…and blister…i couldnt tan to save my life…it just increases my skin cancer chances and freckle count. Lol

I actually recall as a kid getting such a bad sunburn it gave me a huge blister on my lower back xP

I think you’re having that particular experience because you’re bringing it up in conversation with others.

Usually when people do that, it makes the others they’re talking to wonder what their up to. Puts them on defense.

Don’t do that and you won’t have those reactions. Well, except for the occasional nut.

4 Likes

I’m the sort of person who will want to see said screenshots (With appropriate edits to prevent community action) just to ssure you’re being legit. Due to this forum’s untrustworthy, and anecdotal experiences with no receipts.

Imgur is a good area to post these if this is the context that you speak of.

i always felt a little awkward with some black women who reeeeeeeeally like white guys. like in the sack they keep making sure i know. part of me wants to play into it but the other part of me feels awkward about discussing this with them.

hi i’m one of them.

2 Likes

I am white, I play dark skinned characters all the time to fit my transmog. Racism against cartoons is a stretch, and I have never “been treated differently” for having a black character in game. I just don’t see it bud. Sorry for your experience.

1 Like

I honestly don’t think about it.

I’m so incredibly happy to see black humans, blood elves, and other races, and thinking back on it its pretty heartbreaking that the people who loved these races couldn’t choose these options to represent themselves in the past.

3 Likes