Players, I think we need to talk about your computers

Although I agree with SSDs in WoW and in life in general, your point here about being killed mid fight because the mechanical hard drive can’t keep up is not at all how this all works. The problem is about the constant loading of assets, like the world around you, changing zones, loading screens as you said. You aren’t going to “lag out” so to speak in combat because you don’t have an SSD. Let’s not go overboard.

2 Likes

Why are you replying to me without addressing the only thing I quoted you on?
As to your question, it doesn’t offend me whatever you believe. I explained how you were factually incorrect w/your quoted assertion.
Also:

For anything that isn’t disposable I know the basics and usually quite a bit more.
As with an automobile I believe that as a functioning adult you should have a basic working knowledge of these things.
Stove? Yes they are very simple.
AC on vehicles or a household system? Yes can repair or rebuild.
Plumbing? Yes although tbh I hate plumbing.

im shocked people dont have ssd’s in 2020. It’s not like a 250GB ssd is expensive. people spend more on food in a given week than an ssd costs.

Actually it is, So in the very first fights that had a massive phase change people used to get loading screens, Example yogg-saron back in ulduar, The loading screen was only 1-2 seconds at best because it was designed to be quickly done. thesedays you can stream that asset change in real time with an SSD and not have an issue but any time the game needs to load a signifigant amount of assetts and it will take more than a second to do so it typicly presents you with a loading screen.

For the record i have been playing wow on an external HDD for the last hour and just moving about the world is painful, It hiccups plenty of times i get constant texture popping, Some people are invisible until their data is loaded, And this is using ESATA so it’s just an HDD physicly located outside the computer, Loading into Boralus takes about a minute and a half, Dazar alore just under a minute and i still get popping and just killing wrathion presented me with a 5 second loading screen as new assetts had to be brought in.

Can this be played? sure you can do it, But it has a stupid amount of downsides and i do not want to hear people complain that someone killed them during a loading screen and that they are being votekicked.

Obviously there are some limits to that kind of learning motivation. I think regular maintenance items (like the previously mentioned oil change/brakes) are good things that are within reach to the average person.

Much like someone else in this thread, i think anyone who cannot perform first aid or change their own tire shouldn’t be able to legally drive a car (Exceptions made for y’know like pregnant women or people with disabilities)

You said you would basically lag out (I translated it to that logic) in the middle of combat due to the hard drive not being able to read storage fast enough. That’s what I was responding to, and I am quite sure that doesn’t happen. HDDs still WORK, just not in situations like I described.

It’s a poor get poorer situation and it sucks for those people.

If all you can afford is the lowest models of things that means you will need to replace them more often, so you might spend 300-400 ever year, or over 2 years, vs spending like 700-800 once and being set for 5-7 years.

1 Like

Because I already stated before that it annoys me when people assume stuff without having all the info. In your specific case, quoting all that pricing and suggest burning dirty oil without knowing what oil I use, or even if that is legal or not where I live. Hint, it isn’t the states.

That being said, I am being a little hypocritical here, as I did say its cheaper without noting different countries or even states may have different laws and pricing than my own.

Can you humble brag more please Mr. Jack of all Trades, probably considers themselves a master of all? I’d rather just freaking youtube a guide. Yeesh. The expectations people have is nutty.

1 Like

#pull the ripcord? Isn’t that the in thing with you wow hipsters nowadays?

Honestly yes…

I don’t have a TV. I still understand my PC monitor from basic perspective. Do I know the the circuit level components? No, do I know if I can see a image on my screen but it’s extremely dark then the backlight has gone out.

My electric oven passes current through the heating element in the oven and on the stove top burners.

My microwave has a transformer in it used to produce high amounts of electromagnetic radiation that produces heat as a byproduct.

My AC has an outdoor condenser that moves cold Freon to the air mover and it cools down another device, the blow fan runs and sucks air over the cold device(the evaporator?) and pushes it out via the air ducts.

My plumbing, I know it’s set in the slab of my house, I have a main line coming in to a disconnect and water is routed to my water heater to be heated for hot water usage and the cold is just ready. It all leaves my house via one path in the city.

These are not advanced explanations but something as someone who owns a house or these things should know.

When my AC stopped working I turned it on. I could hear the blower running and feel warm air, I could see the condenser outside running but still not cold. I tell them the issue and save them some of the troubleshooting(and ultimately the time they charge me for). They recharge the freon and go.

Yes, I realize a simple yes I have some basic knowledge of these things would have been sufficient.

I wouls say most people already also know all that if they managed to get out of high school, but that doesn’t mean your qualified to fix any of it, which is what I thought was the entire point of this discussion.

I mean isn’t this thread about SSDs or has it morphed into more?

It’s on my opinion that adding a SSD(not replacing a HDD) simply just adding a SSD to a PC physically should be no more difficult than any other basic knowledge someone develops from say owning a house or car or a…PC.

Transferring your OS to the SSD and getting it working, I give people a little more leniency on but there’s many tools that make that just as easy as physically installing a SSD.

It morphed quite hard.

I stand by my position on adding a SSD to a PC in light of the new minimum requirements.

I always advocate ssd over hdd if one can afford it. We are not opposing on this.

But if your position is that you must know how to build a computer from scratch, and know what each and every component does… just to play wow as somebody else in this thread suggested… then we are opposed.

1 Like

Rofl!! I…this…omg :purple_heart:

Thank you for that!! lol I’m out of likes but I’m going to give you one, and then 4 more b/c that comment is SO ME!!! rofl

:blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart: :blue_heart:

:sparkles:

1 Like

Mine is named Potato.

Also there is no question about paying for a service. Changing oil requires thought and action for proper/safe disposal. Getting work done on a computer if I cannot provide a space for work that is pet free (mine like to snoop and stick their noses in) or is otherwise inconvenient I can responsibly hire someone to do the work for me. No shame and helps another to take care of themselves/family. Not sure why some here are dissing people that can’t or don’t wish for whatever reason to DIY.

1 Like

No I don’t think you need to be able to build a PC from scratch to play this game. I do believe even if you are buying prebuilt rigs you should be able to learn how to install a SSD if required.

Anyone with more than 10 brain cells can build a PC though, picking the parts is harder than building it. Now anyway, back we had jumpers, and everything wasn’t plug and play it was a nightmare.