Players, I think we need to talk about your computers

So you’re saying my pentium 2 at 350 mhz and 128 mb of ram of glory isnt enough to run WoW?

Heres me hoping that there was a chance but not for this guy :frowning:

Because it’s sooooooooo hard to pull off and slide on a little piece of plastic onto a motherboard? That’s your nightmare? Lol

set your jumpers up wrong and nothing works

and you had to manually setup your channels for hardware, so yea, it was a nightmare compared to today.

You can’t even put anything in wrong today outside of putting your video card in the wrong slot

As another IT person, no, it’s not a specialization thing. It’s just large swathes of people you encounter in day to day life are physically incapable of learning anything that was not drilled into them from youth.

Are you saying you know everything a network admin does, and a app developer, and the helpdesk, and everything else that all of IT does? Gosh, I bet you make at least 7 figures.

1 Like

You asked, I answered and now it’s bragging.
Ok then.

I would not trust the average end user to go anywhere near seating the CPU and heatsink. The garbage tape they ship with is harder to mess up, but not impossible.

i mean, bent pins are a thing, but if the verve’s pc didn’t blow up…

you make it sound like brain surgery, when the fact is it usually took 10 seconds to know the post positions, tops

you do realize i’m comparing it to today and on someone who doesn’t know jack or crap about how to do it?

Nowadays you can’t really mess anything up, except for aforementioned wrong slot for your video card

Yeah we’re on a budget here and have 3 Warcraft players in the family. That’s 45 a month for sub, plus 150 for all of us to get SL, plus now we have to shell out anywhere between another 150-300 for SSD drives for all the computers…

Or I can go play another game and save all that money. WoW isn’t so amazingly grand I want to -spend- half a grand on it.

3 Likes

I am both frontline help desk where I work, and the network admin. With a bit of automation work thrown in(easily my favorite part of IT, being naturally lazy, and always eager to only do something once).

“I don’t know, but I know how to find out” is what separates the people I reference, and people not like them. It’s why I said it wasn’t a specialization issue.

The ability to continue learning is such a bedrock skill, that is bothers me to encounter people who don’t seem able to do that.

I think this works fine in a small company, but in a large corporate environment you would eventually crack from the sheer workload automation or not.

Wait, so my pc is i7 8th gen, 16 GB of RAm and has two Video Cards and just because I have a HDD means I can’t play Shadowlands?

Would be nice to know now that I haven’t bought the expansion. Considering in my country 1 dolar equals 54 of my currency (and things are sold even or as expensive as if it were on dollars here), I’m likely not dumping more money just to play the videogame if my pc works just fine for everything else.

You’ll be able to play Shadowlands with a HDD, the load times will just not be all that great.

Which if you’re already running it on a HDD, you’re probably used to it because certain areas in the last few expansions have already been not all that great on load times.

1 Like

So this is why sometimes the place loads and when I use a mount, my character vanishes for several seconds… :thinking:

Anyway, are there external SSD that you just plug and play? I might get one that works just for WoW in the future (not a big one or 500-1tb) as is the only big game I actually play.

you can still play, they’re just not going to be worrying about making sure HDD’s aren’t getting excessively long load times

Yes, you can. That said, having the drive internal with windows on it will give you a massive massive benefit for your entire computer. Your computer will feel like going from a Toyota corolla to a freaking mustang. The difference in speed is massive.

1 Like

Right now I carry a laptop only. Last time I heard, is hard or impossible to upgrade one (I admit I haven’t stopped to google this). I ncase is possible and extends the life of the laptop by making it work less, I’d get it in time and install it.

There are but the performance wont be as good.

The difference in performance will depend on what version of USB you’re running though.

1 Like