Players, I think we need to talk about your computers

Played WoW since launch. So many upgrades done

Pentium 4 2.6CGhz / 1GB DDR400 > Core 2 Quad Q6600 / 4GB DDR2-800 > Core 2 Quad Q9450 with 60GB SSD/ 8GB DDR2-800 > Core i7-3770K then 4790K with 256GB SSD/ 16GB DDR3-1600 > AMD Ryzen 7 1700 with 500GB SSD/ 16GB DDR4-3200 > AMD Ryzen 9 3900X with 500GB and 2TB X2 NVMe SSD/ 32GB DDR4-3200

Geforce 4 Ti 4200 > 6600GT > 8800GT > Radeon HD 4890 > HD 7870 > GTX 970 > GTX 1070 > GTX 1080 Ti > RTX 3070 (initial pricing is ridiculous)

Good old days

1 Like

Updating my system or having to crack open my desktop case are nonissues. Once wires have to start getting unplugged I need a good tutorial. Do I need those antistatic things for my shoes?
I feel like that’s a dumb question but I also am the type who swapped my hot and cold lines on my washer which I’ve yet to bother to switch back. We just put the settings to ‘warm’
In the end I’ll probably just buy an external ssd

Wow he always been able to be run on a 10 year old Computer. Still is. If you’re computer is old enough to go 4th grade, it’s time for a new one.

1 Like

Honestly if it was a decent USB stick would apparently be better than some of the HDDs some of the players have.

1 Like

It’s interesting to think about the time between the launch of WoW and now is roughly the same time difference between the launch of the Atari 2600 and the Playstation 1 or Nintendo 64.

I found out the hard way that using an HDD for World of Warcraft in the current era is the biggest difference you can make.
The load in times caused me so many problems, and the fact your character would load in before your client would finish caused so many unnecessary deaths.

Though on the other hand, GPU upgrades arent as needed as everyone possibly thinks. Sure it’s nice to be able to have a nicer graphical experience but you can still run wow on a current era potato.

My wife and I argued about that this weekend. She wanted to take my car in for an oil change because she had a “coupon” that brought it down to $79.

I went to autozone, picked up 5 quarts of synthetic and a filter for $30 (after tax) and did it myself in under $30 minutes.

I am a full believer in doing as much yourself that is humanly possible.

Always: How can I Frankenstein this beast together!

Classic and soon TBC classic exists for those that have literal potatoes. Go and play em, they’re fun too. Although I’ll never say no to blizzard fine tuning retail for lower end PCS but mainly if you can’t play retail you can play classic till you get a better PC.

It is, in the past few months I ran WoW on an SSD external drive and while it wasn’t nearly perfect, it was an improvement from the HDD.

Some people, esp. right now in covid unemployment times, might not be able to fit a new SSD in their budget, though.

1 Like

Here’s the thing. At what point is it fair to tell your customer ‘no?’ I could be playing BFA on an absolute potato, enjoying my minimum quality settings that still get the job done, and then log in to find out I can’t even launch the game I bought and paid for that was running as of the day before.

1 Like

Sadly I got a new computer last year, and wasn’t planning on playing any games on it, so it’s full :potato:. Guess I’ll see how rough SL is on it and maybe just end up back on Playstation.

I already play in super ultra glorious 7680x1440/144

The point when it’s no longer viable for their machine to run the game, Without using a solid state drive you could end up being killed mid fight due to not being able to stream data in fast enough, Or you zone into battlegrounds and the loading screen is so long that we kick you for being AFK because your filling a slot that could be doing things.

Or any other variety of situations.

Also hows WRA treating you sammie

Truth.
/10char

I would assume it would be when the struggle to make the content they want wont allow you to use wow on that machine.
Think of it like this, Think you can run BFA on the machine you played classic on?

I meet the stats, so it doesn’t effect me. God help any of you spoiled brats dog-piling on the massive number of players who don’t have an SSD for whatever reason if in a year you’re here complaining there’s no players.

You can be smug and pretend it’s because you’re a “gamer”, but most fans of video games have a massive collection of games that goes beyond WoW. I could fill up a few tb of storage with just the other MMOs I play. You play CoD Warzone? That’s like $25-$30 worth of flash storage alone. I can get two 4tb 7200rpm platter drives and run them in raid for the same price as a 1tb SSD. I have around 6tb of games on my desktop atm. Who has that kind of dough for storage?

As for the average person - I would wager money any day that more people play this game from laptops with HDDs than any other form of PC. The reason this game was so successful was partially due to the fact that it ran on a toaster. There are other countries than the US and many of them can’t afford to pay 2-4 times the going rate for components due to tariffs.

tl;dr you’re spoiled, smug babies and you should be ashamed.

4 Likes

In the post you quoted, I stated that a modest sized SSD is less than $50 bucks. You can get one smaller for less than 40 (some places have the 125’s for like 20).

I think people are missing part of the point here, which is my fault. The issue isn’t so much a matter of upgrading your computer in a vacuum. The issue is when a system is old enough as to become obsolete by WoW standards, but someone will still suggest that Blizzard has no reason to move the system requirements bar. And the thing that is most bothersome to people, the one that is causing the most uproar is also simultaneously the cheapest and the most substantial upgrade to make.

For people who have a system that is beyond the minimum specs, but say… Hadn’t thought to upgrade to SSD, there is an argument to be made. Even with that… SSD drives are, in multiple domains and instances, vastly superior and a worthwhile token upgrade.

1 Like

Just wanna put this out there.

You can get a 1TB Western Digital NVMe SSD drive for $104 USD on amazon. Max data transfer rate is 2400MB vs the samsung 1TB NVMe for like $200+ that the only difference is it’s 3500MB transfer rate.

Because being able to change your own oil in an emergency situation is a good thing? You’re not always going to have a mechanic around.