Players, I think we need to talk about your computers

I totally get this. My car is a tool. My motorcycle is my baby and I do a fair bit of maintenance on her myself. The problem is… you cant mandate somebody caring a touch more.

1 Like

Stupidity will do that too…

I was replacing one of the managed switches at a business today and I got approached by one of their employees who was half panicked that her computer wouldn’t turn on.

I walk over there, hit the power button on the monitor and voila the computer has been “fixed.”

She was embarrassed. :laughing:

3 Likes

I just bought a 1tb ssd for 107$ so it’s not that expensive for smaller ones. Just do it. I also played wow on a laptop the same one for 12 years.

Upgrade when you can and you will he happier with it.

I can’t afford to upgrade my Pentium 4 so I just convinced my guild mates I am a terrible healer and they just carry me through stuff. My 4 FPS makes dungeons take twice as long and the GB pays for my usual 5K repair bill, but they are patient and understanding. And if I DC I just tell them my sister had to use the phone.

Lately they haven’t been inviting me to do anything with them… anyone know any good guilds?

gaming is a hobby which requires heavy financial investment every few years. people need to get with the times or stop playing video games if it’s too much of a hassle or too much money investment to put forward into playing.

the era of you can play new things on your toaster is coming to an end unless its low requirement indie games and the odd remasters

1 Like

You don’t NEED an SSD, the load times are just better with one.

3 Likes

Let’s be honest here, there are already really good options for cloud gaming and the industry for it is fairly new. You can’t play WoW on Nvidia now currently, but I grantee there will be a cloud option for it at some point.

I’d seriously doubt that people will be paying for gaming rigs in the near future when you can pay $10 a month to play games 4k at max graphics on any device as long as you have a decent internet connection.

Not until they remove it from the ToS, it’ll get you banned right now.

And I’ll ALWAYS build gaming rigs, it’s fun.

they’re like lego blocks.

lego blocks for adults is a great description for it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Short of getting unlucky you can make it last. Especially if you’re dropping $2000+ you should be buying quality parts that last.

I upgraded my computer 7 years ago and some stuff in it like the power supply is 12 years old now. The main reason I’m wanting to upgrade now is because my hardware is showing signs of not being able to keep up anymore.

and if you do get unlucky(Which factory defects happens to the best of us), usually it’s under manufacturer’s warranty if it’s within 2-3 years of buying it.

This isn’t really “near future” that this is going to happen. There’s quite a few kinks to work out, especially for smooth 4k streaming.

At which point, the rest of us who drop thousands of dollars building custom rigs will probably be playing in glorious 8k.

I invested about 1900 dollars on a new computer(previous being a mac) and I am very happy. I went from about 60-70 average fps to around 100-200 fps on ultra settings and I have AA enabled. Not to mention pc can actually play all available computer games.

Yea, you’re better off saving up for more expensive parts than to drop less on lower end parts (unless it’s an emergency, i would have much rather bought a new motherboard for my wife today, but when her Ethernet net port fried in a lightning storm and she needed internet for work tonight… not much choice then to spend money on a usb Ethernet adapter.)

This is my first time owning a desktop pc which is why I started with a prebuild.

1 Like

Can you give me an example of these “Kinks”? I use a shield in my living room every evening and it’s 99% flawless. I’m not sure if you actually use the service or you’re just guessing.

Seriously THIS.

Going from WoW on an HDD to a SSD was easily the staunchest difference I’ve ever seen in all my years of computer gaming. My load times were improved by more than 75%.

Putting money into upgrading a PC can be painful, but if you’re running WoW on a HDD, this upgrade is completely worth it.

1 Like

The older I get, the less excited I get about upgrading my computer. These days, when I have desktop that can shame the mainframes of old, I just want to scream “Enough! I’m going back to games where my character is an ascii ‘@’ !”

2 Likes

I just got done paying for a funeral, have to remove a really big tree before it hits my house and need to pump out the septic and get my teeth fixed in the next 12 months.

A computer isn’t high on the list of things that have to be done but I looked into it anyway.

I can upgrade mine for about $600 max, it’ll run SLs okay and last about a year or two or I can get a $2k computer that will last me another 10 years.

It’s a toss up.

• Oh, forgot to add, I’m out of work.
2 Likes

I’ve used several streaming services and have also used Nvidia’s streaming service for games specifically, which doesn’t actually support 4k streaming for games. Shield might be able to upscale to to 4k, but that’s not the same quality you get from native 4k.

The big one is that it ties your input lag to your internet lag and no amount of bandwidth from your ISP is going to ensure that remains at a playable amount, which is going to need to be much lower for smooth gaming on a streaming service.

I live in a major city and have the best package from my ISP, but even small dips in latency can be noticed in gameplay. Especially if you’re somebody used to 60 or 144 FPS gaming.

Nvidia has probably the best streaming service out there right now, but the quality of graphics and smoothness of gameplay is noticeably better if I just play the game normally on my computer.

Surely, you think that you are going to buy me my SDD, you don’t know how much it is more expensive now, a product that is made on a large scale and the sacrifice that is needed? and I don’t mean who works or not.