Player Housing - What I'd be happy with

Garrisons was the start of player housing and turns out people hated WoD when it was content.

Anyone saying otherwise have either not played WoD at content or are delusional. WoD was nothing but raid logging weekly. Killed gathering professions since your garrison provided it for you.

So why would they make it when it was proven a failure?

This needs to be server wide to be useful. Or even account wide.

• It needs to not be a quest hub.

No. They took the idea of player housing and turned it into a combination place of business and quest hub, minus the nice living quarters.

Not everyone hated everything about wod.

I played wod. I spent most of my time in Ashran. Wod PvP was the peak of PvP for WoW, as far as I’m concerned. It’s been all downhill since, as devs who have no PvP experience continue to experiment on the PvP playerbase.

The technological framework they developed for garrisons could easily be adapted for housing, minus the place-of-business, minus hangers-on trying to get you to do things, with loads of customizations. If I want my fishing pond to be a swimming pool, voila! I want a cottage, no, a mansion. A stable to display my favorite mounts to my friends. Choose from popular locations in favorite zones. Let’s put a hedge around it.

2 Likes

Even if it has to have like an anchor system. A lot of games have that where you can set stuff in select locations. Like here are wall anchors, floor ones and ceiling ones. You can only place certain things there.

That’s absolutely fine. It exists in DCUO and SWTOR just fine.

1 Like

Garrisons are not Housing. Garrisons were never housing. A Garrison is not a house. I don’t know how many times, in how many ways, in how many different languages this can be said. And, for the record, I played WoD at Current content. I have also played many other MMOs that do have actual housing. It’s not the same.

5 Likes

This poor poor horse.

4 Likes

You had a special hearthstone for your garrison. You were able to switch your guards to your preferred race/style. You were able to build things as you please. You were able to put statues out around your garrison to show what you have done in WoD. You were able to mine/gather herbs/fish in your garrison without ever venturing out Draenor.

That sounds like housing situation to me cause with housing you’re able to decorate said things.

Do you work for Blizzard to know how Stacks works and what can be accomplished?

They place items in their own buildings. Again, hooks are a thing. Old Republic has different sized hooks for certain types of decos. Only a medium sized deco can go in this specific place on that specific hook. Only a large wall deco can go in that specific place on that specific hook.

And we were able to place Archaeology items in their designated spots. So it’s not as if a system doesn’t already exist that’s the base version of this.

It’s not. Even a Blizz interview said as much. Stop with this false narrative.

3 Likes

Didn’t exist at the time, but this could be one way to update them.

They had access to what were the capitals for those expansions which in turn had portals to the faction capitals. For all intents and purposes, you had access to these portals. But sure, they could be updated to have a portal to the main faction capital as well.

1. They weren’t planned to be, but due to development issues at Blizzard … most of WoD didn’t actually end up happening. What we got to see was what could be salvaged.
  2. Again, could be an updated form of it.

This is a flat out lie. They offered extremely barebones decorative options but there were options with guards and the placement of the buildings. Again though, could be an update - especially now that we have the UI that came with Dragonflight which was an expanded version of the barbershop.

But this kind of an update is also why it is likely we won’t ever see playerhousing like this in the future. Garrisons were a failed version of player housing, so it is likely that they’d go for a different style of housing. Personally I think we’ll end up having some kind of a customizable camp that isn’t that large but could be connected with the Warband system (assuming they make it into something more expanded than an updated character selection screen).

For all intents and purposes, these were the same thing. Thematically no, but that’s because MoP =/= WoD. This whole “I want my garden” is quite literally just folks saying “I miss Mists of Pandaria” which … fair enough. It was easily WoW’s thematically strongest expansion to date.

But the garden wasn’t different than what (and say it with me) an updated fishing hut/herbalist garden/mining shaft would be for the garrison.

This critique is… nonsensical though.

The whole point of the Garrison was that you could pick and choose what you wanted to include. The fact that most folks opted to have an auction house/bank and more in their garrisons is partially why player housing in WoW is such a difficult concept. Because… it is. The psychology of the average player could be determined by the statistics that Blizzard has as to what buildings people opted for, what activities people opted for, and so on.

If you don’t want a bank or auction house, well… you don’t have to have one. Folks in general wanted it, and thus the system failed to be a satisfying version of player housing since folks felt no need to leave the garrisons that often. But on a personal level, you could opt to have anything or to not have anything you’d rather go without.

I personally never built the auction house bot since I never felt compelled to do so. My building slots basically existed so I had convenience, what made sense, but also had fun and engaging activities for me to engage with. Which is why I suspect that I didn’t have as negative of an experience with WoD than what most other people say that they had.
So whilst you have a very logical reason for as to why there shouldn’t be stuff like that, and certain kinds of conveniences shouldn’t exist in the game to the extent that they do sometimes … on a personal level one can ignore it.

And your title of the thread is “What I’d be happy with” meaning this list of yours is entirely personal and not applicable for a system-wide thing. If it was that then oh god I have so many issues with it, because whilst I didn’t have as bad of a time in WoD as others - I get why folks had issues with it, and most of the stuff on your list doesn’t address it in the slightest in terms of what you’d like.

2 Likes

Okay…I’m going to list what Housing systems actually are like:

Being able to choose the style of home you build: Not a garrison feature.

Being able to craft furniture for your home: Not a garrison feature.

Being able to place furniture in places of your choosing: Not a garrison feature.

Being able to choose interior designs and floors for your home: Not a Garrison feature.

Being able to acquire decorations for your home via content: While the statues are close, they are very limited and had no freedom of choice on how they were displayed.

You could not build as you please, you had a static list of buildings you choose, and all of them were around the theme of military operations for the player in Draenor. This isn’t a home. This isn’t Housing.

2 Likes

This will never happen in WoW, as already explained; you can get pre-fixed slots with menu options, that’s it.

1 Like

Go eat a snickers Brewa you’re not you when you’re wrong.

Right, just like how people told me I was wrong about all the restrictions “cross-faction play” would have.

Then cross-faction play was added, and… oh look, everything I listed as a restriction is there.

So just like Old Republic’s housing? Works for me. I personally love that system.

1 Like

This is largely a moot point, because there’s overall a huge difference between what people mechanically and thematically view as “player housing”.

Mechanically, Garrisons are player housing. Thematically though, it isn’t something a lot of people view them as such.

I’d be happy with WildStar level housing. Anything less, don’t bother.

You mean the system they continue to update to remove restrictions slowly as they are able to work on it? Again I’ve got a snickers around here somewhere man.

But what’s wrong with hooks? They work well in Old Republic. A basic version of that already exists with Archaeology artifacts in the Garrison and Legion Dalaran.

1 Like

Hanging a wreath on a building wall isn’t quite the same thing.

The killer feature (as I understand it) of Player housing, is the vast array of stuff you can get to put into the buildings, and for this to really work, they need to have just a huge variety of stuff and places (for example, not just end tables, but vases that can be put on end tables).

The interesting part, though, is that even if the current engine can’t really do this, they don’t need the current engine for this. They can give it a dedicated engine, designed for static display of stuff, maybe some light animation, vs one that has to deal with the complexities of an open world, toons moving about, monsters and spells.

They can use one more suitable for a mostly static environment like inside of a house. 3D engines are a dime a dozen today, so it’s not a huge ask on top of all the other enormous time sink something like Player housing will cost.

I don’t think Brewa is talking about the hooks like in Old Republic. But that being said, Old Republic’s hooks can be very glitchy at times and limit what can go where in your home.

That’s what makes it fun! Finding the different ways to make things look swank using the hooks you have. :slight_smile:

I enjoy it. And honestly, I almost like it better than free placing. I’m not that creative. lol You should’ve seen how long it took me to finally get my kitchen to look somewhat decent in Palia. And even then, I stole ideas from other people. LOL