Player housing update - possible?

I notice on MMO Champion that one of the groups attending the summit spoke about player housing, and the developers response was that it was a “big topic” and they were still thinking about how to do it. I think the word “still” is very interesting - its an “about face” (edit) on previous answers of the “not happening” variety.

Certainly it won’t appear this expansion but it does seem to indicate that we may well see it in the future. Let’s hope that the community can provide lots of positive input to the type of system we would like to see, and what would -or would not - work for us.

My personal wishes are that it not be in a single location, that we have options of placing one or more houses throughout the world, that we can travel to them as a sort of personal portal system and that the base design reflects racial choices. Beyond that, the sky’s the limit. :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

Anything similar to FF14 or ESO would be phenomenal. I like both systems equally, but I think for WoW, the way ESO has many different instanced houses would be better, as opposed to a couple large neighborhoods.

5 Likes

Some idea that’s jotting around is that we could have a new housing system, where it could just be a couple of rooms and not a complete outpost. Then they could have another rewards structure based around furniture instead of mounts and pets.

1 Like

Yes, I am really hoping for this to evolve into something as well. Been wanting proper player housing forever now.

I agree about the different locations. Personally, I’d like Winterspring and Valley of Four Winds to be options to have a house.

Maybe let your alts walk around your current character’s place?

2 Likes

They could do it like SWTOR. We have strongholds (houses) on various planets but they aren’t in the “world”. You actually click on your stronghold and travel there . People can travel to your stronghold provided: (1) You are online and it is listed (2) You give someone a key (you don’t have to be online for someone to travel to your stronghold then and (3) You invite someone to come visit.

Decorating is done by hooks (don’t get me started on that since I am old school SWG decorator) but they have xx amount of hooks and xx amount of decorations that can be placed in a stronghold depending on the size.

As far as alts they are allowed into your stronghold since the strongholds are legacy based not character based. Now DK (drumond Kaas and Corscuant) you have to pay a small fee if your opposite faction wants to sneak into the stronghold but the rest (Nar Shadda, Tattoine, Umbarra (that’s a train), Rishi, Yavin and Manaan) is not restricted nor any fees assessed.

Wildstar Housing was the best.

Personal instance, so no space / availability issues, but with options to have it in a public listing if you so desire, and I think I even heard there were options to link plots together to create a pseudo-neighborhood akin to FFXIV (but I only played the game for a month or two so I don’t know the details on that aspect of it).

The systems in place to decorate it enabled an entire profession and allowed far more manipulation of your space and decoration items than is offered in any other MMO I’ve seen.

That said, I just don’t see Blizzard doing housing. Certainly not in a way that I’d be happy with.

I think, given the expected release window for any given WoW xpack and the expected amount of content / patches in said xpacks, it’s just not feasible to implement housing without messing with the formula people are used to for the sake of something totally optional. This would make TONS of people incredibly angry, and for good reason.

But let’s pretend for a moment that’s a non-issue. I still doubt Blizzard can pull it off properly. I fully expect that rather than creating brand new systems within their code, they’d just pull a Skyrim and have some preset thing that you basically just feed materials or money into until it’s 100%, perhaps with a couple options for specific pieces ala Garrisons but on a smaller scale with decoration slots and such.

I just have no faith in Blizzard’s ability to provide a proper player housing system.

4 Likes

If they do, please, for the love of the Goddess, don’t make it limited available space. I’d rather not have people botting houses to sell in Trade Chat.

6 Likes

I cannot believe how bad the system is in FFXIV. I got a house recently on one of the “full” servers there. I absolutely ran a keyboard macro to spam the interface buttons nonstop every second because it’s literally an RNG timer between 30 minutes and 22 hours so if you stop clicking at any time you could be giving up your chance at it. I didn’t use the macro initially, but then I realized at least half the people at any plot camping were doing it, so it was either do that or have no chance.

If they end up actually doing this I’d hope they take a page from Wildstar or Rift’s book on housing.

Having a plot of land and letting our imagination blossom would honesty be fantastic. Heck even tie in a new profession that crafts housing items.

4 Likes

Yeah. Had a friend also use one to get his FC a house, especially because the poor friend who owns the FC now is on PS4 and can’t run the macro.

I believe someone even mentioned they were running the macro after they got the house… And just laughed and said something along the lines of, “We all do it anyways.”

Would be nice.

What I liked about skyrim. At the end of a long day you had a nice place to come home to.

Even vanilla (better with mod housing ofc) you had armour and weapons racks. Have that nice weapon to show off, well show it off. Artifact weapons or maybe you got that .2% drop you’d rather show off than sell/AH off.

Or my fave the armour dummies. I used to put up my armours here for show and to make swaps easier. Off to do a thieves guild quest or 2? Well then hit the thieves guild dummy and change out to be all RP. Time to work for my man Lord Sithis…off to the brotherhood dummy.

It could also give some reason to hit old content. Make player housing per faction region. Like skyrim. Helped the jarls of several towns out you got several houses.

Wow could be go grind and do some content for the dwarves, elves (all races since only 2 are not good property choices right now, VE and NE), etc.

3 Likes

This happened when I got mine. I made a point not to run it while I wasn’t at home, but I walked away for literally 3 minutes and it sold in that time period so people got to see my character’s head bobbing up and down trying to buy it even though I already had it.

Couple people got really mad and reported me, but Squeenix doesn’t care about a keyboard macro. It’s been almost a month now so I’m psure I’m good.

1 Like

I’d like player housing to be like fantasy life(a random 3ds game) where you can walk up to a house, and on the door it will just the price, and have an option to buy it. These homes would be scattered across Azeroth with new ones each patch. Once you buy a house, you can upgrade and decorate. You can get pet beds and toys for bate pets, stables for mounts, and other furniture. And if you can’t afford a home, you can buy a room in any inn.

2 Likes

As an RPer, I support this 100%. It’s hard to RP anything as your house.

5 Likes

I’d imagine it would be an RP’s dream. To be able to get a house, have some sort of choice where it is placed, what it looks like, how it is decorated - to be able to invite your friends or your guildies to attend there for events and meetings and parties etc. That would surely be perfect.

As long as they don’t include the sorts of things that turned garrisons into such social environment killers, I see no problem with it. After all, as long as they provide reasons to be out in the world, we WILL be out the world.

I’m not into RP but I’d love a house to work on through professions or questing or mob drops etc, a place to invite friends to for a cuppa and a chat.

1 Like

I also really want player housing. However, that system of having limited plot that require you to use macros in order to purchase sounds awful. Hopefully it will not be anything like that.

1 Like

In FF14 there is thousands of items you can craft for your house that would make you able to make something with professions.

1 Like

ESO is very similar in that regard. All the professions can make items for housing I believe, so you have that extra market for what you make, and patterns for things drop off mobs and such and can also be sold.

1 Like

I would do it by creating a new secondary profession that lets you do architecture, you skill up by going around to each zone helping repair buildings that have been dilapidated forever, some of them are still on fire!! Once your skill is high enough, you can build your own house with all the skills you have learned.

I don’t want a generic home though, for my Druid I want to be able to build a cave entrance and have a Tree grow on top of it, the tree would be hollowed out and have my furniture inside with a perch at the top. Also moonwell hot tub.

4 Likes

I love that idea! Since they removed First Aid, there is more than enough room to add another secondary professions so that all players could work on housing. And needing to go around an improve your skills out in the world doing that sort of repair work would be an ideal way to get us out and about on the ground doing stuff, which they always seem to want.

You need to suggest that to them :upside_down_face: