Player Housing open letter

If you remove “slightly customizable” this would be any other city hub in the game. If anything the garrison can be seen as a proto-house, just like the farm was pretty much a proto garrison. The tech behind garrison can be used in the making of housing and/or guild halls. Still does not make it a house.

1 Like

Ideas like this is why we will never get players housing.

It is too costly in terms of dev time, involves too many systems and, due to the ridiculous amount of utility, will take people out of the world like garrisons did.

Personally, I would be happy with the following:

A simple instanced room accessed from one of the unused doors in Stormwind that starts out with old rickety furniture and furnishings that can be upgraded and customize in the same way I do with mog, thru crafting, vendors and drops in the open world, dungeons and raids.

And Blizzard could sell the creme de la creme pieces in the store to support the feature.

For instance, have a plain wooden bed, a decorative wooden bed, a four poster bed, a brass bed and a black iron bed in-game but have a canopy bed and a sleigh bed in the store.

Other ideas include: bedcovers and curtains made by a tailor, a wall rack purchased from a carpentry vendor to display favorite weapons, fur rug made by a skinner, a plant found in Maraudon for a corner, book of magic looted from a mob in Karazhan or Black Temple for the bedside table, ect.

I do not support the home having any type of function outside of cosmetic. I do not support any type of ‘town’ setting player housing, only individual instanced. And I certainly don’t support anything that is at odds with WoW’s theme and aesthetic. It should be like pet battles and transmog, a fun side project with no real impact on the game.

Simple, easy, small, but still able to express my individual character’s personality and journey just like their mog does.

And then, as an evergreen feature, it could evolve to larger instanced spaces with more customizations available in-World for more gameplay and in-store to continue to pay for it.

2 Likes

I outlined a really simple fair way to set the whole thing up. All it is missing is approval and artwork and some fleshing out of the profession(s).

That’s like saying the gnoll tent is player housing. You either don’t understand what a garrison really is in military terms or you are intentionally being obtuse, I am unsure which.

From the garrison you sent out troops on military exercises, ergo, it was not a house.

2 Likes

That is so on point. I like my garrison but by no means would I call it a personal house.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

1 Like

I think a Garrison like place(s) (Instances) where friends can gather that you can design and build with items you can purchase/find in game or for cash, could be a money maker for Blizz. I played a game like WoW that had these player housing type instances with every type of item you could think of to create the most visually stunning home/base areas. And you could make them public for everyone to see and vote on. I spent real money to buy the currency to buy the building/decorating items. None of my homes were in the best liked list but I made some cool looking complicated places. It was fun and worth the money.

Meh.

I’d rather they use the resource to create more playable content. More dungeons for example.

I’ll buy the sims if I want to play the sims.

I agree, but both things are not equal by far.

I dont think think it would take a bunch of resources or time to incorporate player housing i think thats an excuse. Especially since it would obviously be instanced instead of an open world real estate system.

If i had to guess they could probably get 1 maybe 2 devs to work on it for a week or so and we would have something decent. Idk much about all the development stuff but if random people out there can make all the crazy mods for other games im confident a seasoned dev or even an intern can bust this out without taking any real resources.

1 Like

WoW doesn’t need player housing. There’s really no point in it, and there’s not really a way to implement it well in WoW. All it would do is make everyone sit at their homes instead of towns.

1 Like

Cause they said so.

And what if I cant afford the mortgage on my player housing? Can me and my 3 elf kids stay at the homeless shelter in Ironforge?

1 Like

It’s an open letter because it’s wife doesn’t mind if it sleeps with other letters.

1 Like

or DAoC, except the DAoC economy was much better.

1 Like

I outlined how to implement so it is fair and equitable for all. Scroll up.

Great pvp in that game. :smiley: Housing was awesome too.

1 Like

Ew. No thanks, what the game doesn’t need is more of the same old same old.

I think player housing is an obvious new feature for the game and I’m hoping they have it for Midnight.

6 Likes

It should have since it’s a really requested feature and it wouldn’t hurt the playerbase that do not care about it.

The towns would still have a lot of folks if the houses do not have any system outside the house and maybe transmog. (at least this is my experience as also a FFXIV player)

I want player housing to be a portal you can set anywhere in the world that is only visible to you, your party members, your guild members, and/or your friends list (options in game).

Khadgar gives you a quest where you are finally acknowledged and rewarded for all of your contributions with something useful, a spell that creates a portal to your own personal house and a hearthstone toy that can teleport you there.

Players can choose a place in the world to set their portal. In the doorway of a building in Stormwind, on a floating island in Nagrand, where ever you like! Heck a group of friends can choose a small town in the Grizzlyhills and each put their portal in the doorway of a building and make their own community.

From there Blizzard can go nuts. Add recipes for craftable decorations and furniture so professions have things to make. Have reputation vendors sell items to put in your house. Have pet battle vendors sell ways to incorporate your pets into your house. Add different interior layouts as achievement rewards. Add different portal aesthetics as pre-order bonuses or cash shop items.

4 Likes

Signed!

-Clasm