Player housing is a waste

1. I was trying to be funny whilst pointing out that folks are just moving the goalposts to such a degree that the Vulperan racial fit the definition.
  2. And I know this because this character used to be a Vulperan since faction changing to the Horde back during BFA at which point Shadybolt was a Vulperan by the name “Shadyfox” up until late Sepulcher.
  3. Furthermore, my current main was a Vulperan rogue until I chose to make 'em into a Highmountain Tauren because I wanted to have a Tauren-rogue.

I speak from experience that in terms of what people are asking for, in World of Warcraft … Make Camp is genuinely what folks are asking for. Because Make Camp is essentially what folks thought Garrisons would be back during WoD when the initial showcases of it had multiple options in each region.

And finally…

I have seen people use every form of player housing to try to claim that “that is what player housing is”. Archeage, ESO, Skyrim, Wildstar, FF14, years and years ago I even encountered people using Puzzle Pirates as an example of desirable player housing.

Here’s the thing though: none of those games is WoW. None of those games have the same playerbase as WoW does. Not in terms of activities nor in terms of player numbers. Garrisons was WoW’s way to make use of it and it worked … but not that well, because ultimately people hated that it made the world feel so empty. Which, as someone who has played all of these games (except for FF14) I can attest to; player housing, when instanced, makes the world smaller.

But in games like ESO you solve that by making it a place to feel like “home”. Which is great! But very, very lonely. Which ESO makes up by making the game play and feel like a singleplayer game with the option to socialize. You know… the exact problem that made Garrisons in WoW absolutely HATED by players, is a feature in other games.

What Garrisons revealed, and the entire discourse around it, is that folks love the novelty of it … but have no idea what the playerbase actually likes enough to make it worth putting effort into developing it. Player housing in WoW is, for all intent and purposes, just a buzzword concept. And when this gets pointed out, folks do what you are doing; pretending that WoW-players are the same as hardcore roleplayers or folks who play MMOs only as a singleplayer game.

The Garrisons are still there, they still serve the same purpose as what you are advocating for especially now that it isn’t current content. The profession huts doesn’t matter anymore, the materials doesn’t either, and with this idea of “but you could opt in to housing” then you can just as much just not have an auction house or bank in your garrison.

Ultimately here’s the simple answer to all of this:
Playerhousing could exist in WoW … but it ain’t worth it, because it is just a novelty for the vast majority of players. Which incidentally, is what I already said (and you even quoted effectively telling me to shut up). But WoW players are playing WoW, not ESO, not FF14, not any other game - if one wanted to play those games, then one play those games instead.

WoW is built around larger communities and that’s what was discovered with Garrisons, when they turned into Order Halls, and then Covenant Halls. You can like it or not, but that’s the reality of it and also why this is just a horse that folks will keep beating despite having died during Warlords and experimented with again and again to test what actually works in WoW.

I’m calling player housing for player housing, yes.

All I’m doing beyond that is just explaining why this novelty doesn’t work in WoW, at least not the way ya’ll want to pretend it would.