Player Agency and Covenants

I love playing RPGs. Been playing various pen-and-paper games since the 90s.

Also think the current Covenant setup is bad and will make playing WoW feel worse, because I am able to understand that calling something an “RPG element” and adding it in to WoW isn’t enough to automatically make it a good idea.

You can swap from a lock to a mage. And you can access the abilities you’ve unlocked and earned, but you have to give up the other abilities while you’re using one set over another.

This is exactly what people want with covenants and to be able to swap as freely as we can swap classes. People don’t want the additional layer of restriction on top of class/race/faction.

You can. Use a different covenant on your alt. It’s the same as swapping classes.

The request is for covenants to be freely swappable LIKE classes, not in conjunction with classes.

Your suggestion doesn’t help someone who only has one character.

People in that case dont’ want to level and grind their way through another covenant AND another class/character.

They just want to progress through another covenant on their current character and be able to swap back and forth to pick up where they left off.

Have you seen what you can do for crafting?

They actually adapted runes from Guild Wars in that you can add what secondary stats you want to a specific piece of gear.

And it goes even further that you can make gear target specific.

I like consequences. You play Fallout, you can’t reset your SPECIAL perk points, so you have to plan ahead and understand what you’re not getting. Skyrim, same way, even though you have the option of spending a dragon soul to reset skills.

Covenants are a whole package deal. Like the factions of other games; you have strengths and weaknesses. It’s up to you what weaknesses you’re going to have. That gives these factions purpose, not just another vendor.

Choosing your stats on your gear makes profession better because you can target a piece. It doesn’t make them more interesting. More interesting would be adding interesting stuff that you can craft like old expansions had when you could sell boes and other interesting stuff like belt buckles. If they make profession bop again it’s gonna be terrible again overall.

Like I said - you enjoy punishing choices and others don’t.

That doesn’t make them right and you wrong or vice versa.

It’s just a different preference around a very general term that can be interpretted/defined in many ways.

That stuff’s BoE now…

I haven’t seen any high ilevel boe crafted gear. It was mostly all useless ilvl so far I think that people reported.

No, it’s not, because you aren’t swapping classes. You’re keeping the same class and swapping out what is essentially a sub-spec of that class’ spec.

They can’t swap classes then? So…

You can’t argue with someone who’s convinced people only want something for extreme cheesing.

True that.

I already addressed this:

What did they used to have that they changed? Because the most popular expac was the one they added duel specing into the game.
Is it a direct causation? No one knows but but its generally agreed that wrath was the games peak.

You got a link to a source about pre order numbers compared to other expac? Would be great to see it. Also would be great to see when the pre orders were placed too. I know people who pre ordered right after blizzcon who are now regretting it.

No, he doesn’t.

1 Like

Lot’s of things. LFG, Heirlooms, Stat reductions, Profession reductions, racial changes just to name a few off the cuff.

Wrath was ironically the wind of change everyone complained about when Cataclysm was launched. Mists was the better expansion, but everyone couldn’t get over Pandas, so it was swept under the rug.

But WoW has lost an incredible amount of RPG ‘consequences’ in lieu of making everything more ‘accessible’ and ‘convenient’.

Losing punishments isn’t a bad thing.

Creating a friendly environment in an mmo makes sense to fill the population.

There’s no need to push wow into the single player rpg genre.

1 Like

No kidding.

In terms of actual throughput/performance, what you didn’t pick still isn’t available and all you’re able to use is what was chosen.

With the restrictions - gameplay and consequences (neutral) are exactly the same. There’s just now an obstacle (punishment) in the way.

There’s a difference between consequences and punishment. Consequences can be neutral. But punishments are negative.