Pistols and 1h crossbows

Would it really be that hard to add dual wield pistols and 1h crossbows? Currently, there’s only one class that uses guns and bows, so that should reduce the complexity somewhat. Wouldn’t have to add a huge amount of them, just enough that it would be an option.

I guess the hardest part would be adding new animations. I guess I’m just missing the WildStar Spellslinger animations. (RIP, WIldStar).

But hey, once the animations are in it opens up possibilities for other classes or specs to use them. After all, it’s kinda past time someone else got to use guns, bows and crossbows.

Also, bring back thrown weapons for added silliness.

5 Likes

I really miss Wildstar. :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

Ranged physical dps specs for rogue and warrior gooo

3 Likes

I feel like rifles already toe the line of what is considered acceptable in the sort of D&D-esque high fantasy guidelines that WoW tries to fit inside of. There’s already some debate in TTRPG circles about whether or not ‘primitive’ firearms like hand cannons (not a type of pistol, literal handheld cannons) and muzzle-loading rifles are acceptable for medieval fantasy.

Of course, WoW hasn’t shyed away from adding in honest-to-god laser weapons (see: Operation Mechagon) as usable guns, so it’s hard to really pin down what would or wouldn’t fit into WoW’s fantasy at this point until it’s actually implemented. Personally I feel like some sort of 1h firearm would fit for rogues, maybe not for hunters or a theoretical mage/martial hybrid.

Warcraft has never really tried very hard to fit inside that, to be fair.

We had steampunk gyrocopters and goblin bombers in WCII, which is going on 30 years old.

4 Likes

And official D&D material is known to feature the occasional all-metal submarine and dimension-hopping spaceship, which is why it’s so difficult to hone in on what does and doesn’t fit inside of the high fantasy box.

3 Likes

Well, honestly it’s safe to say that D&D as written doesn’t necessarily fit into the “high fantasy” box. Just look at modrons:

Personally speaking, I think “medieval high fantasy” is overdone and played out. I like it when authors explore what happens to their fantasy world when realistic applications of technological advancement happen alongside the magic and fantasy systems in place.

1 Like

None of the classes really fit into the gunslinger role.

Making animations for a niche is probably more work then it’s worth.

Just give it as a spec to mages who got bored of wands and staves. Doesnt even need to be a new class or spec. Just weapon type. Arcane missiles out of pistols.

As long as it has active electric coils and rotating cogs, it’s still steampunk enough for fantasy. :robot::+1:

I mean Outlaw literally has pistols.

In the defense of my dear sweet Modrons, they’re the more Order-aligned equivalent of angels and demons, which look out of place by design. They’re not actually robots built by mortal artisans. Taken from the Forgotten Realms wiki:

Modrons were a race of immortals known for their zealous adherence to the principles of law and order above all else. Just as fiends (demons) were considered the embodiment of evil and celestials (angels) the embodiment of good, so were modrons the embodiment of the universal principle of order.”

I disagree–the limitations of such a setting force writers to get creative with how to portray certain things. I’m writing a D&D sourcebook with my own custom setting, and trying to stay within the rails of ‘medieval fantasy’ has forced me to experiment with how to portray something akin to ‘nuclear apocalypse’ without it actually being a nuclear apocalypse. I think I’ve gotten something pretty neat as a result!

And this isn’t to say technological advancements cannot happen alongside magic and fantasy. It’s just that when you’re writing a story or designing a setting, consistency is probably the most important factor in helping people get immersed in your world.

Oh, so now the walking tin can is going to preach to us? /s

1 Like

WoW has had guns and technology since before WoW. WC2 had riflemen and flying machines and submarines and so forth. WC3 took it a step further with mortars, tanks, and goblin tinkers with lightning guns, automated turrets and automated factories. And this was all like 40 years before Dragonflight.

Stands to reason that WoW is not trying to be a D&D-esque medieval fantasy or whatever.

Also, technically speaking, pistols and handcrossbows already exist in WoW. Outlaw Rogues and Survival Hunters use them for some of their attacks. The undead Gilneans in Shadowfang Keep uses pistols, too. Godfrey killed Sylvanas once with a pistol shot to the head. They very much so exist, they just aren’t equippable weapons.

1 Like

Huh, I forgot about those.

Well, maybe I’m wrong then. Goes to show I know way more about D&D than WoW, then. If I was to continue being contrarian, maybe those pistols might be good for rogues but not spellslingers because uhhh they just are? :nerd_face:

1 Like

This world has freaking spaceships in it

1 Like

So does D&Ds. Difference from real-world technology being that they are spaceships mainly powered by magic and souls, not rocket fuel. It’s a step toward making them fit within high-fantasy.

D&D also has rules for cyberpunk with literal hacking spells.

Mordenkainen and Elminster canonically have coffee every other Thursday in Seattle.

Using it as the go-to measurement for high fantasy is just not a good idea.

Just need to be Survival and you get one. 2nd choice is the tiny x-bow from dire maul. Though its still handled like a regular one. But honestly, dual x-bows make no sense. You have to load bolts/arrows every shot and need a hand free to do it

1 Like

I remember that game! Played it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_to_the_Barrier_Peaks

Tbqh, I feel like if pistols and 1h crossbows ever get added, which tbh I wouldn’t mind if they did, the 2 main specs I’d give them to would be Outlaw Rogue as an offhand, and give them some new attacks where they use said pistol, and I’d rework Survival Hunter again… as well as Beast Master…

BM Hunter would be the new Melee hunter, always should have been, foghting alongside your pets ala Rexxar, MM Hunter stays the long range sniper it is, while Survival would dual weild pistols / hand crossbows and be middle ranged. It’d focus on mobility and on tools like grenades and bolas. Basically think like Diablo 3s Demon Hunter.

That’s who I’d give them to out of the current class listings.