Picking a covenant can be a meaningful choice without chaining abilities to it

You’re not saying the same things.

Most of the progressive raiders that are in this thread want to easily swap abilities like they’re talents. Most of the progressive raiders in this thread want to choose covenant abilities that give them the biggest number on the spread sheet at the time.

Or there’s option three: Nerf the numbers. Or offer better alternatives to make the weaker abilities better than just saying ‘This is busted, give me something else’.

Not a decision to give to players in WOW. Final Fantasy and other MMO’s managed to create unique and interesting factions that aren’t skin deep.

I would love for Blizzard to adopt the difficulty of switching from either faction in TBC and that would be a great compromise.

Legendaries are covenant specific. Soulbinds may shrink the gap from 30% to 20% but they won’t balance them.

If I remember correctly the legendary items are specific, yes, but the effects are not. Hence why we even go into Torghast.

That or it’s just not bound at all,

Where’d you get these numbers?

I did a breakdown in another post. Night fae vs Kyrian covenants using BFA numbers in a raid setting. The numbers are fine with the BFA numbers since it’s just applying 16 rejuvs or healing a target for 50% of the healing you do.

Kyrian: 750k healing done (being generous as most of it will just be overhealing)

Night fae: something like 1.4 million healing, 68k mana saved, 18.5 seconds of globals saved. This is not including the effect that it will have with mastery so realistically we’re looking at at least 2 million + healing. And resto druids historically have been hindered by mana, so the 68k mana back will probably be even more important than the healing numbers.

I like the idea of abilities. I just hope the community and dungeons will still be doable by all covenants. And people will not exclude other’s for there choices.

2 Likes

Okay but you didn’t listen to anything I said. I’m talking about fundamentally changing the ability to do something different.

Like, for instance, changing the Kyrian Warrior ability, Spear of Bastion.

An example I use is that usually, this is an AOE damage ability with an emphasis on AoE that is thrown on the ground.

Now, imagine a Soulbind that turns this into a Single-Target ability that is thrown and does ticking damage instead of its usual rooted tick damage.

No that’s boring, if power isn’t tied to it then it’s irrelevant

Ok so how powerful would the Kyrian soulbinds have to be, and how weak the night fae one have to be to shrink that gap?

What’s your angle?

That’s a good question… Hmmm with so early in development it be hard to know…
One thing (IMO) is sure certain, intentionally or unintentionally… Blizzards has created the Lore behind the powers of DK and NPC Necromancers, Shadow Hunters, Witch Doctors, Lich etc among other Hero and Normal Classes they have in past lore…
So if they ever want to created another variant of a Death Theme Hero and Normal Classes they already have a long list of abilities, mechanics and lore they can give that new class as well as a Home or Covenant from were to Start.

EDIT: Ill even add that I’m interested to know if The Bloodied Glaive of Vol’jin with G’huun blood is a hint or not to:

1. Shadow Hunter as a Hero Class in SL or future…
    OR…
  2. Vol’jin would be teaching Trolls to be DH and Current DH its third spec to hunt Old Gods and Death Creatures channeling the power of fake old god G’huun?

(Wishful thinking I know but the OP post lead me to think this too) :sweat_smile:

That having really powerful covenant abilities and then really weak soulbinds just to make an effort at balancing instead of just unlocking them and focusing on other things feels really bad

1 Like

So again you didn’t really listen to what I said.

We could just take The Night Fae ability and have a Soulbind that turns it into pure healing.

Ah, you got me! I did, in fact, direct that at you. Congratulations, for being able to see through my cleverly disguised ruse. I was sure I had pulled one over on you, but man, you really ARE smart, aren’t you?

…In all seriousness, It’s not really any skin off my teeth if you want to contribute malice where there was none, all because you can’t understand that quoting someone does not mean that the entire following post is about them.

At some point, I don’t even care if they are somehow magically balanced (they won’t be, but I’ll let you dream). Confusing player power with cosmetics and story telling does not a RPG make.

Unlock the abilities if you want so the abilities are not tied to covenants but your ability choice should still be locked once you pick an ability. This can follow the azerite armor respec cost. It just continues to grow as people change back and forth never shrinking for the entire xpac. This would get quite expensive but would allow for swapping as people desire while helping to funnel gold out of the game.

Dude I literally don’t care. You decided to jump right into that and ignore the rest of what I said in my post. I just addressed it because you focused on it.

You gotta love it when someone doesn’t understand the perspective at which you’re looking at something from. But they continue to believe that it’s a black and white situation and there can be no gray.

I have repeatedly told you that I agree with you. Only difference is that I think that it’s best to let the developers at least try seeing as how we still have 5 months at absolute minimum for them to make it work.

If by Beta it doesn’t work? Toss it out. Who cares. They’ll just make the covenant abilities available to all and that’ll be that. Heck it may even be implemented as a new Talent Row. Whatever happens, we win.

That would be brutal and even more hated than the azerite system. Idk if you liked the azerite system being locked in but I’m fairly sure it was universally hated. Really sucked asking my friend if he could please tank this key knowing it was going to cost him 10,000 gold

It already is pure healing? I’m saying that in order for you to make the Kyrian one even remotely viable next to the night fae ones the soulbinds would have to be inordinately powerful and the night fae ones would really have to suck to have them be balanced out.

Basically what will happen is if the Kyrian one needs a bunch of soulbinds to make it on par with the night fae base ability, then for night fae you just take a bunch of dmg soulbinds so you’re still way ahead.

Looking at this its pretty clear that you didn’t know what soulbind is, basically you get some class based conduit and 3 follower that provide generic soulbind trait.

Soulbind traits are generic trait like “While below 20% HP you gain 200 leech” or something like that, its not class specific trait.

You probably think Soulbind work like Artifact minor traits * 4 per spec, which is hilarious if you think Blizzard have that much time to create or balance it.

You can view their earliest version of Soulbind on WOWhead

https://www.wowhead.com/news=311994/early-shadowlands-soulbind-calculator-now-live-on-wowhead

Did you read more than just that sentence of my response?

The devs have stated that some are. Which is a huge concern, especially with how unbalanced legion legendaries were.

1 Like

There is a single set of legendary craftables for each armor type. There is also a covenant set, completely unrelated to legendaries. These are accessible right now via the “unlearned” portion of the professions window.

If covenants are related to legendaries in any way, it would be that covenant progression MIGHT (because all of this is NYI so it’s pure conjecture, even for those of us in alpha) be required to learn the legendary patterns. I would imagine this means you need to complete your covenant campaign (regardless of which covenant, complete the last quest of the campaign) or you need to unlock some feature in the sanctum (again, every covenant would have the same features in the sanctum from a gameplay/player power standpoint) to unlock the patterns.

Think of it like needing to complete the broken shore class campaign in order to unlock craftable legion legendaries. The class campaigns were all different, and it didn’t matter what class or what professions you had. A mage with tailoring would complete mage quests and unlock tailoring legendaries. A hunter with leatherworking would complete hunter quests and unlock leatherworking legendaries. A hunter who took tailoring for some reason like crafting bags or whatever would unlock the same tailoring legendaries as the mage, at the same point in the questline as the leatherworking hunter.