Physical Blizzard Authenticator

Getting a stylus should help in that regard. Or gloves that have the little pad on the index finger so you can still use touch screens while wearing them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I never understood how/why stylus work when hands do not, but gloves might warm my fingers enough to work :slight_smile: worth a try I suppose.

3 Likes

Not to plug a specific product, but this is the kind of glove being mentioned:

https://www.amazon.com/Winter-Texting-Thermal-Knitted-Mittens/dp/B0776ZQTZB/

They’re surprisingly cheap, it seems.

1 Like

Those actually look quite nice. I don’t tend to wear gloves as they interfere with everything I’m trying to do. (or I lose them or my husband ‘borrows’ them and stretches them out so they no longer fit)

I’m not really a gloves guy either. There’s something about being deprived of my sense of touch in my hands, even in small degrees, that’s really off-putting for me.

I certainly agree with you on that. I have gotten where I can stand latex gloves for some things over the years after 4 kids, but usually that is so I can AVOID some sense of touch for some nastier things.

If hands don’t work, a capacitive stylus may not work, either, but an active stylus that generates it’s own electrical charge might! I haven’t tried this myself and am not vouching for this specific brand, but something like this should work on most touch screens.

https://smile.amazon.com/MoKo-Compatible-High-Precision-Capacitive-Replacement/dp/B06XYK9RL6

1 Like

I use pens that have a rubber pad on the end for use with touch screens. Pretty cheap solution.

When all else fails, your nose or tongue also works. >_>

4 Likes

I find aim with noses and tongues to not always be accurate enough to hit tiny virtual buttons on ‘smart’ devices :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The tongue thing is really only accurate if you are descended from toads or chameleons. But then, your tongue sticks to the screen.

Same here. I’ve been away for a while and when I came back the dam thing still works.

1 Like

I normally half joke with… That my thing have lasted LONGER then the shop it was bought in… I bought it in a gamestop the week the store opened… That store have been closed for OVER ten years :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The way modern touch screens work, cold fingers is not what is impacting your touch screen. Modern screens don’t respond to pressure, they respond to changes in electric field. Your fingertip usually has enough charge on it that the screen picks up the change when you move close, but if the layer of dead skin on the part of your finger where you’re trying to touch is too thick, it won’t respond. This can be a callous or just having dry skin.

Using a moisturizer especially water based can improve this, or even licking your finger can help.

A capacitive stylus fixes this because it bypasses your non-conductive fingertip and picks up charge from your entire hand, which gets conducted down the stylus to the screen.

3 Likes

Apparently the keyfob authenticator is no longer being offered, based on another post I saw here. Can someone point me to the Blizzard Support article or other official post that announced the change? Thanks in advance.

I don’t believe that they made an official announcement regarding the discontinuing of the physical form. I see Kal typing…so if I’m wrong, he’ll correct me :wink:

No official announcement. Kal mentioned it about a year ago, and Icy Veins and Wowhead reported it.

There was no post to announce. We generally don’t announce when our gear store discontinues specific products. It hasn’t actually been available for purchase for a number of years now.

At the time I made the post that Ohgodmyeyez linked, we had already discontinued the product and had recently sold out of the supply we still had in the warehouse.

Edit: going to move this into the other thread. I can’t think of a good reason to split the discussion.

1 Like

I found this reference.

I don’t think there was a support article, just that the references to the physical authenticator were removed from the general article on the authenticator.

1 Like

This worries me, as my authenticator is pretty damn old and occasionally unresponsive. Don’t own a cell phone, so if that thing dies and I get an authenticator prompt, my WoW career is over. =\