Photo id for password reset?

I’ve seen exceptions made when an account name is pure gibberish (afsadgfwsd assgsgggh vs Willy Smith) but it usually requires some accompanying documentation about things the account has purchased.

That’s why I mentioned explaining the situation in the ticket with as much detail as possible.

4 Likes

yea i do have one in it he said like “if your first and last name were batman or something we could probably get that fixed for you”

yea like Kal said if you use the last name smith and a first name like ObamaJesus they cant help cuz smith might be a real last name and you can change a first name as much as you want on your profile

E-mail-only authentication is a very weak form of authorisation. It’s not something I would recommend for any service or access of significant value.

5 Likes

back in the day fake names were just how you account shared they cant link a person to a name if the name isn’t real you know. im not gonna say ive ever account shared but if i did, would probably be on a fake account that i forgot about 10+ years ago. this acc has 2 step, encripted passwords the whole deal hell my bank even calls me on the phone if i buy a hearthstone pack… but a toon from 2009 on an email i dont remember that belongs to “witness chugus” that im trying to recover…0 hope of ever seeing that account again

Sounds like an easy way to permanently lose an account.

We’ve seen this here. Two people insisting they own the same account? Good luck.

4 Likes

And account ownership disputes are a big reason the security is so tight on these types of requests. I can’t tell you the number of times I had to help someone because an ex they were sharing with did bag things to the account.

Don’t do it folks! Not only is it against the rules, it’s just not worth the risk of that relationship ending badly.

5 Likes

yeah, but also back then it was a sketchy thing to do, and the results are the same as it now when the account owner is disputed.

Submit the ticket like Kal suggested and hope for the best.

Considering that sharing accounts is a big no no, can’t see how that is an argument in your favor. Account sharing is one reason why you are supposed to use your real legal name on an account.

1 Like

unfortunatly its one of those types of accounts is the reason that im making this post… im trying to recover something and having to provide photo id to submit a password reset is just a huge middle finger honestly

Actions have consequences, this is one of them. I hope the Game Master team is able to find some way to accommodate. Good luck!

7 Likes

sharing accounts only matters to company’s … i dont care who plays on my club penguin account… i have 0 investment to that if you get it banned oh well ill make another club penguin

I’ve made hundreds of fake accounts over the years. I didn’t trust the company, it was a one-off, I didn’t feel like receiving promotional material, whatever.

The trade in privacy was for the understanding that I would probably lose the account one day.

In this case, you’re asking the company to have complete trust in an individual who already lied to them.

5 Likes

I think we can let the side commentary go, folks. Thanks for all the input, but I’ve offered the next steps for them and I think it should be left at that.

I’m happy to answer any other questions I can

2 Likes

i know but the circumsance is the same… it was a wow account that isnt in any way linked to my main, i didnt pay a sub to it, i had no time or money invested in it and i didnt care what happened to it. now that the account is 11 years old and long forgotten trying to recover something that old became impossible

Except when money is involved it DOES matter, not only to Blizzard who has to spend money resolving petty disputes when account sharing goes bad (and it almost always goes bad) but the fact that a WoW account requires a subscription to play there is also money being lost by a person that has actually paid for the account sub.

Sorry Kalviery.

Sorry Kal… :vulcan_salute:

@Kalviery im happy that you responded and thanks for talking. but the things you had to say were a disappointment to say the least

I’m sorry you feel that Blizzard takes account security very seriously. Want to know why?

That is not your account. You are attempting to change the password to my account. I say it is my account, so it must be. Do you want them to take my word for it when I request that password change on that account? No? Does it help to see the point of proving who you are before they just change it willy nilly now? I hope so.

And I do apologize to you. I am not trying to talk down to you in any way, however the tone of trying to make my point might come across that way. If it did, I truly do apologize. Just could not think of another way to say it to convey the point I wanted to convey.

No problem, part of CS is sometimes delivering bad news.

1 Like