Photo id for password reset?

Really blizz? i have to show you full and complete images of my passport or drivers license to request a password change? Whats next doing a retina scan to prove my account belongs to me? this is ridiculous and totally unnecessary!

Sadly, account security drives this. The account is almost as good as a credit card, and criminals will bank on your account.

But the good news is some of the information can be redacted, please see this support article.

How ID is Used

We’ll never use your ID for anything other than verifying account ownership. We delete the copy you send us once the ticket is resolved.

4 Likes

yea still if you think im linking 5+ emails ive made over the years to a physical image of me you can forget that garbage, besides most of the random junk accounts and emails contain no real information of me at all, names or addresses.

also if i can use cash to pay for a pre-paid card (leaving no paper trail) why do i need a passport to own an email account (sounds like a huge red flag) and what happens when someone breaks blizzard security and steals all of your logged personal information?

The ID request is the last on a list of other options for account verification.

For example, when going through the Password Reset page, you may be asked to provide a code that is delivered to your email address.

If an account has Blizzard Phone Notifications enabled, you may have the option to use that.

If you cannot provide other verification, then we may prompt you to provide an ID so that we can verify the person requesting account changes is actually the owner of the Blizzard account.

Please review the article Kozzae provided. It covers what information you can cover, what must remain visible, and explains that IDs are permanently deleted when done.

Blizzard accounts can be worth hundreds or thousands of dollars, so we want to make sure we’re being as careful as possible when someone asks us to help them get into an account.

2 Likes

photo id is the only verification on the list for “forgotten password” especially for an email im not even sure has a blizzard account

The less information you know about the account, the stricter we’re going to be about giving you access to it.

3 Likes

i know the email and how to log into said email and thats good enough for every other game company why its an issue for just you guys im unsure

If you’re unable or unwilling to provide the requested documentation then there isn’t much more I can suggest for you here.

6 Likes

okay but like if i need to provide photo id… why does blizzard let you change your first name on your profile and not your last name?

Because not everyone continues to identify as the name they originally created their Blizzard account under. We can see a history of all name changes made to a Blizzard account so it does not impact our ability to verify account ownership in these cases.

5 Likes

so if i change my full legal name the account wont belong to me anymore?

We’re getting into some hypotheticals for what seems to be the sake of argument only. But, if there is a legal name change then there are associated documents that accompany such a change.

In those cases, you would contact Support and provide proof of the change and we would make a full update to the account.

This is done a lot for marriages, and divorces.

https://battle.net/support/article/153121

5 Likes

So in my case. which is super relivant… i have a blizzard account of which the name is fake, the address isnt mine but i own the email… i have to submit photo id because i cant password reset otherwise… i have to go get a fake id to access my account to which i own and have full access to? makes sence to me

Where did Blizzard say that? My question is why did you use a fake name for the account in question? This is one of the main reason NOT to use fake names for accounts.

6 Likes

i was told if you use a fake name thats super obserd they can help but if you use a last name that might exists they cant do anything to help you

And who told you that?

The Blizzard End User License Agreement (EULA) requires that, when creating an account, the information be accurate and up to date.

When you create or update an Account, you must:

1. provide Blizzard with accurate and up to date information that is personal to you, such as your name, address, phone number, and email address. Additionally, in order to play certain Games or use certain features offered on the Platform, you may also be required to provide Blizzard with payment information (such as credit card information). Blizzard’s retention and/or use of your personal information is subject to Blizzard’s Privacy Policy, located here. Blizzard shall also have the right to obtain non personal data from your connection to the Platform; and

By providing a fake name, you may have made the account unrecoverable in situations such as this. You can explain the situation in your account recovery ticket and include any supporting documentation you may have (such as physical game keys from a box copy) but it may prove difficult to recover access to it.

5 Likes

blizzard support 2 weeks ago

I know people do this sometimes, and I’m not going to give you a hard time about it, but … that’s essentially fraud, opening an account with a fake name. Obviously Blizzard isn’t going to pursue it that way, but using a fake name makes it really hard to prove the account is yours.

2 Likes

Do you have a ticket id? Something tells me you read that wrong.

1 Like