Pet fundraiser to help those in Hawaii

Let’s be real.

Would as many people have “donated” to Ukraine in the wow community if they didn’t bait it with a pet? The correct answer is, no. That’s the point of the pet. To carrot you into “donating”. I put donating in quotes because donating in the traditional form is giving e.g. money without getting a pat on the back in return. In this case a lot of people needed that pat on the back. Hell, I’d wager the vast majority who bought the Ukraine pet didn’t give two hoots about Ukraine. They just wanted the pet.

This is psychology 101 stuff really. Charity drives have been doing it for decades. They do it because it works.

Sometimes the truth hurts :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a particularly painful truth, like I’m immune to “NERRRRRR, you needed a REWARD to do something NICE” prodding.

Yes. I wanted the reward of the pet for my money specifically, and in exchange something nice is happening with my money, which is as far as I’m concerned an extra added ‘oh, that’s nice’ feel-good bonus. Good job, me.

In the end, the people who get the benefit of the money aren’t going to care about the purity of the motives of the people who gave that money. What matters at the end of the day is that they received aid.

3 Likes

the more hands money has to go through, the less money makes it to its intended destination.

any donation via blizzard will result in admin fees etc.

it’s as if the vultures here are just waiting for disasters to happen, so they can ask for stuff.

8 Likes

Every charity has administration, regardless of where the money comes from. I’m not following you on this one.

3 Likes

Great except some people do only donate for the pet.

The bottom line is if there’s a chance that it could help people who need it… I don’t care what your motivation is as long as they’re being helped right?

This would get people who would otherwise not donate to donate. Good

All this moral superiority philosophical bullcrap doesn’t mean anything when people’s homes are gone

8 Likes

again, the more hands the money goes through, the less makes it to the intended destination.

i didn’t think it was hard to follow.

donate to one of the charities which deal with their own admin fees…
or
donate to blizzard, who take some money for admin fees, so they can forward the remainder of the money for an additional chunk of admin fees to be taken.

5 Likes

That’s the only reason I haven’t given yet. I don’t give blindly. so I have to do research on finding one that I feel is worthy

No, that’s not how it works at all. When they say “100%,” it has to mean “100%.” There are zero admin fees on Blizzard’s end. 100% goes there. Not 100% minus what our lawyers needed to take. Contracts for this are written and signed for such things. I know this for an absolute fact as I had to help with the paperwork for a charity when I worked at the radio station and for a retail store.

2 Likes

There’s also other upfront expenses like logistics. And when you have multiple versions of them that’s money trading hands needlessly theoretically. Not that that’s happening.

I wish I could double upvote this…

Upfront expenses are purely on the contributor’s dime unless otherwise organized within the contract. It’s why you see some say “50% of the profits” instead of “100%.”

I’m not well versed in the law but I would have to do my research like I said

I’m looking at u s a today’s list as a starting point, Though red cross is one of them and they are highly respectable

i can’t access the English language version of the store (in an English speaking country) :roll_eyes:
…but from the version I can access, the Ukraine pet pack says 100% of the price after incidentals.

2 Likes

That’s how everybody is Non-profit just means they don’t make money After incidentals

For profit charities are the devil… Like those people who make the magnetic ribbons.

I think i’ve landed on aloha united way

2 Likes

My advice is to Remember and put that money away for later.

There’s only so much that can be done in an active disaster situation, and with civilian authorities on the ground as well as the Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, and Hawaii National Guard on the case (not kidding, the 3rd fleet is stationed RIGHT THERE, remember), things for the moment are not underfunded.

When the people in these communities ARE going to need a hand is after the media coverage dies down. Look in on them again a year from now and pitch in, then.

2 Likes

Alright this is just a basic google search and i am by no means an expert… It depends on how They do the distribution process.

Even one hundred percent donated charities can suffer from 4 to 25% percent of the donation, being taken as a processing fee.

I’m not saying that’s what happened i’m just saying those are hidden costs. But they should be a lower fee due to being electronic one would assume.

What I look for outside of these blizzard donations is who gives the most money percentage wise

Why not? This is far simpler then the complex history between The Ukraine and Russia.

That’s usually a transactional bank fee, not the admin fees. It depends on what type of accounts they have, how it gets deposited, etc.

Yep! I do the same. I always research that sort of thing, too.

Now that something I can support 100%.

100% is not 100% of what you pay for the pet (or donate) going to the charity. the “100%” when it concerns charities is always followed by “of profits” or “of proceeds,” which means whatever is left over after all their own costs.

1 Like