Perplexed at price increases

after exchange rates everyone should be paying the same price on the NA servers, very unfair to the Canadians.

Brazil had 3 price increases during BFA alone and 2 during Legion.
When I started playing the price was 15 BRL, now 35 BRL.
Extra services also increase in price, in fact at the time some actually went up over 100%.
The price of the expansion itself has also increased.

I’d wager blizzard saw alot of Canadians likely paying out their monthly subs with blizz balance from gold or were doing some shuffle with US currency to avoid paying the appropriate amount that was expected if they were to buy a one month continuous sub.

The blue post explainers are always pretty vague. The CAD one says “From time to time, it’s necessary to make changes to certain pricing based on a variety of factors, including global and regional market conditions.”

It would be crystal clear if they had said something like “Canada is implementing a new digital goods service tax, in addition to existing GST, which is effective 1-Jun-2021 and will be included in your base game-time price, effective 16-Dec-2020, since it is to be collected by Blizzard Entertainment, which is a foreign business for Canadians, and thus does not appear as an itemized tax at checkout.”

That explanation is speculation, but a crystal clear statement like that would explain to a lot of unhappy Canadians their government is to blame (if that were the case) or if it’s just Blizzard being greedy because they now pay more after exchange unless they buy subs–nobody else is in that boat except NZ, so why CA and why now when the tax doesn’t hit 'til summer?

P.S. …and how is it game-time is affected by “regional market conditions,” but subs are not? WoW pricing is the same for subs/game-time in every other region, so why the sudden different for CA?

It wouldn’t make sense for them to be increasing the price now, if the tax was the reason. Although I suspect it IS the reason and they either missed that it wasn’t effective until next July or decided to start charging early to make canadians pay for the extra administration. I guess we shall see if we get another price increase in 5-6 months that is tax.

I don’t know why. I just know that’s the only thing that changed.

I think it was either due to shennanegans or a test case. In any case, when you charge different prices for the same product, it should affect how people will pay.

Also, small amounts involved but the tacit message that Blizzard is sending is don’t park real money cash in battlenet bucks.