Perma-Boon Suggestion

Before people harp on the idea, I get that there needs to be content that keeps players logging in between raid time. However, I don’t think running around grabbing world buffs should be that content.

The idea here would be an “Perma-Boon” item that once acquired would record world buffs just like the current Chronoboon Displacer. The main differences being that it would not be a consumable and once a world buff was recorded, it would always be stored. When used, the item would refresh any recorded world buffs to the maximum time. The item could be put on a very long cooldown (8 hours or more) to prevent people having permanent world buffs. This would also help maintain some relevance for turning in buffs (along with their normal quest rewards).

I also think an item like this should be fairly prestigious and not something everyone just grabs for a small fee. It should be tied to an endgame level 60 quest chain (preferably from Chromie) similar to attunements and the SoD profession quests. It should require multiple items and/or boss kills from some of the earlier raids maybe even trips back into the level-up raids), dungeon runs (maybe something similar to the Strat Dead 45-min), solo questing, farming, maybe exalted rep(s), etc. Finally, it should have a hefty, non-discountable price tag placed on it at the end of the chain. I would easily pay 5,000g for something like this.

This chain would be content that would keep people logging in between raids, especially to farm up that gold, and have an extremely attractive reward at the end. Not to mention, it takes gold out of the economy and buff drops will continue to be valued because this won’t be something everyone goes for.

7 Likes

Great Idea, especially with the added bits to earn it.

This is a fine idea but the even better one is just disabling world buffs from raids :+1:

7 Likes

even better than my wbuff vender

Could never have guessed that the retail players logged in on their retail accounts want something that’s largely hurtful to the Classic experience that’s crazy

1 Like

Hey Bakalmao! I’m very interested in hearing your thoughts on how this would be hurtful to the Season of Discovery experience, if you care to elaborate? Anything to improve the idea would be greatly appreciated!

They should get rid of the world buff meta all together. It’s toxic as hell. At the very least, remove the 1 hour cd from the boons.

3 Likes

No because chrono boon was already too far. World buffing is simply part of classic. If you want to world buff safely there is a PvE server type for that. Chronoboons ruined the danger of the world and now every low effort andy can easily and safely get their buffs. The world was meant to be dangerous, not this.

Good thing this is season of discovery and not classic then!

Nothing worse than classic andy’s drifting over from Era trying to ruin SoD with their terrible takes. It’s like they want SoD to die off.

2 Likes

Running across the world is quintessential classic content.

No this is classic - season of discovery. If your argument stands why not add flying mounts? See how silly you sound.

Super long quest chain with big gold sink for a songflower consumable 1hr cooldown (that the item doesn’t disappear) Same for boons, etc.
Sing me up

3 Likes

The irony of your comment is outstanding.

World Buffs = World, meaning you should be filling the world with your presence getting buffs every week. They take some time to get, I know its frustrating to spend time playing the video game outside of raiding once a week, but they add infrastructure to the game like warlock summons, guild synergy for drops, and faction synergy if you don’t have one. Watering it down to “an inconvenient buff I have to get :(( make it easier” is just false.

I actually don’t hate this idea…but it would be much better if they just disabled world buffs working in raids completely.

2 Likes

That was SoM, nobody played it.

they didnt skip playing it because of no world buffs though.

I like how they made certain buffs only work in nightmare areas. Maybe they could do something like that so that it isnt mandatory in pvp or something
great idea though. I hate getting songflower.

My suggestion for world buffs is to delete Chronoboon and put the city drops on a timer like Onyxia.

I can agree with the sentiment, but it feels like a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation. Some situations that the world buff meta either has led to, or has the potential to lead to:

• Chronoboon doesn’t exist, so people get all their world buffs as fast as they can, then logging out for the rest of the week until their scheduled raid is about to start, so they don’t run down the clock on the buffs.
  • Chronoboon exists, people have timers for when buffs like Ony/Nef head can be dropped again, when Songflowers are available, etc., log on right before they drop, tab out/look at their second monitor until they get the buff, unboon anything they have booned, and pop a new boon. Do this a couple times and then possibly return to raid logging.
  • People don’t actually “fill the world with their presence getting buffs every week”; they pay a couple gold to a mage or warlock(either an outright bot, or a player using add-ons that appear so automated to the layman and have so little human interaction that they may as well be bots) to port/summon them to where they need to go to get their buff(s), get them, boon them, and go back to raid logging or spending all their time in one isolated area in-game where they may not even see or be seen by other people.

To me, it seems like people aren’t looking for a solution, rather looking to turn a situation into a problem to then create a solution for gits and shiggles. A big part of why Classic is appealing to me is because, whether or not it actually is respectful of my time, it doesn’t directly feel disrespectful of my time, like retail did from 2016 to 2021(ESPECIALLY 2018 to 2020). In Classic/SoD, if I want to raid log, as long as I show up ready to raid, with proper gear, talents, consumables, etc., I’m fine. If I want to spend 10 hours a day fishing, mining, soloing ZF to try to get the second sword for Sul’thraze, killing mobs in WPL for 5 rep a pop to Honored, I’m perfectly free to do so. World buffs, as they currently are, seem to be more or less fine to me, but I’m only speaking for myself.

I don’t disagree completely, but unfortunately, there seems to be (relatively) very few people who want a truly “Classic” experience - be it actually a truly “Classic” experience or what they think a “Classic” experience should be - and that’s not even limited to SoD; even places that promote turtles, addition symbols, or Refunding Reforging don’t agree on what a “truly Classic” or even “Classic+” experience should be or is. If even just the people actually paying monthly to play the game can’t agree on what the “Classic experience” is or isn’t, how can we even, in good faith, discuss and debate frivolous minutia like such posed by OP?

1 Like